Universal Spirit Lords (by Kabam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 15, 2014.

1. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Need to merge this and other thread as its confusing

2. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #62 houseofg, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  3. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    You have some valid criticisms about the controls, but I want to make sure they're balanced by some things they got right:

1. The Parallax effect. It's pretty incredible. The game uses a combination of static 2D art, shader effects, and parallax to create a 3D feeling when you're looking at spirits. The parallax is also present during character dialog sequences and really adds a lot of depth and polish to the game.

2. Native iPhone 6/6+ support. A small thing but it really makes the graphics pop and it shows the Dev cares about iOS as a platform (not just iPhone 5/Unity rush job).

3. Game Center. We've got full leaderboards and they even threw in a few achievements. Granted, it's just Level 10, Level 20, etc. but it's a great start and very surprising for a game like this.

4. Character re-customization. If you want to change your character's hair, face, after the fact, you can do so at any time and there's no IAP penalty whatsoever. The customization, by the way, is pretty awesome and puts Dungeon Hunter 5 to complete shame in this respect.

5. Bosses! Lots of bosses. Enough said.

6. You've got full, customizable abilities, BASED ON TOUCH GESTURES. The game doesn't tell you what you directional ability should be, you tell the game. You can completely mix it up. You can go all-out Ice Sorc, or Ice/Fire hybrid, or whatever. What I also really like is that whenever you enter a dungeon, you get a quick reminder pop-out of all your current skills. After you see them they beautifully transition over to your buttons. The graphical transitions overall, are very very nice.

7. Lastly, the graphics. I'm on iPhone 6+/iOS 8.3 and they are stunning, although definitely not 60 FPS all the time. If the developer adds Metal that could go a long way. I'm sure it's not very optimized yet.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    This is also the one linked to the app itself.

5. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yes, that's what I meant- the app information at the end of articles.

6. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    One thing I don't understand is this auto-aim. What's the point of using the touch gestures, if using the V-pad auto-aims everything anyway??? It actually slows you way down to try and aim, and messes up the combat. I don't like that one bit. :(

7. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Found my first "free" Moonstone from one of the treasure chests you can dig up in the overworld, for a grand total of 31 moonstone. You can get several of these per day, but the 4 or 5 I've found up until this point have been gold only. So, you’re going to need 6-7 of these uncommon Moonstone chests to afford even one of the 5 slot inventory upgrades. :(

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I've merged the two threads, moving the other thread into the one that's linked to from the front page. Let me know if you see any bugs or redirects to threads that don't exist, etc. Thanks!

9. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Is there a TA guild?

10. triptych

triptych Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Really enjoying this game. It feels like a mobile version of Torchlight.

11. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    game is good. hope they add a ranged non-mage character ie. ranger

12. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Yes! Only a few spots left, the max is 20 and we're already up to 10 or so last time I checked.

13. Lilyx

Lilyx Member

Oct 23, 2014
    #73 Lilyx, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Old player/tester returning, I had a lvl 26 mage and a lvl 22 barbarian.
    I absolutely love the new interface for equipping and looking at spirits! It makes it so much easier.
    I also love that there's a more fleshed-out storyline, and the cutscenes are brilliant. Everything looks great and runs smoothly. I haven't experienced a crash yet on my ageing iPad mini.
    Falling in love with the game all over again, lol. And thank you for letting us have our old characters, but I deleted mine as I wanted a fresh start.
    The mage is my favourite!

Edited to add: a giant THANK YOU!! for allowing us to hide the helms! Some of them are quite unappealing. Lol. Cheers~

14. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    too bad its not worldwide release......

15. cyrus

cyrus Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Really enjoying this game. Bit buggy on the multi player but everything else is top notch.

16. Bliquid

Bliquid Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Been playing for the last few days, and i wanted to say that this game is surprisingly good in every aspect, from style to gameplay.
    The spirit mechanics are deeper than they seem.
    On the Free to Play side, it's in the norm.
    Unlike the best examples, you notice them (mainly in the timers, which i consider fair enough but surely not generous), but they could be much worse.
    Production values are very high, it seems clear that this is a project made to become something big.
    In the end, i like it a lot, it's a fun and easy going Diabloesque lootfest crawler.

17. chitty007

chitty007 Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    This game is really fun. Surprisingly good for a mobile game. IAP are not in your face and you don't really need them either.

18. Bliquid

Bliquid Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Seriously, why isn't this in the top TA games?
    It's addictively fun!

19. kidseatfree

kidseatfree Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Macintosh Support Consultant
    It really is! The gameplay was getting repetitive for me until I dialed up the difficulty on the Side Quest dungeons. Completed my first "Lord" difficulty and it was a real rush.

20. Lazuli

Lazuli Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    yeah i hope this gets some critical appraisal soon, it's a blast. Always seems full in-game too.

Hit a little grindy patch around level 21-23 but i'll try putting the difficulty up a notch and see how that returns in terms of xp.