Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- First Info!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CommanderData, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    I am waiting for some infos too. Maybe a release window? OK, may not be possible, but something....please?

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I am very sorry that I haven't been able to give much in the way of progress or even hints that Spirit Hunter Mineko is still a live project. It is good to know that someone is still interested!

Those of you following twitter know I've had a number of bad things occur in my life recently, including the very beginning of a potentially messy divorce from my wife of the last 8 years. I won't go into details about what is happening, but lets just say I wouldn't even wish her on my enemies. This stress combined with my consulting business has prevented me from doing very much lately.

I am absolutely not abandoning Mineko or Rogue Touch 2.0 or any other pending projects. However they will be making progress at a glacial pace for the next couple of months due to the problems of real life getting in the way.

Please do bump to ask questions, as it will help to motivate me towards release, and I'll provide you all with new info soon (after the next few weeks I hope to have some sort of "normal" life back)

Thanks again for your support and interest. It does make me happy to know that someone has been waiting for news.

3. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear about the bad stuff happening, CD.

We'll keep waiting eagerly for Mineko and Rogue Touch 2.0, checking on these threads, twitter feed as well your website and all.

Hope things get better for you, CD.

4. vernalequinox

vernalequinox Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for letting us know your situation! Hope everything will be alright for you.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Best of luck with all that. Being divorced I can definitely understand part of what you're going through.

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Just dropped by to see what was up and read your post. Having walked that path myself I can only say that although it is hell, there will be better times beyond. Unfortunately you cannot get there overnight. Never take for granted the people who love you and support you. Sometime you forget they are there, but your true family and friends will never leave you. Feel free to PM me if you need.

7. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just thought I'd chime in CD, and see how you were holding up! If there's ever a thread in need of a bump, it's this one, because Mineko still has a special hotly anticipated place for me, notwithstanding the necessary delays.

You've got an absolute mountain of talent to offer us CD, and here's a motivational shout out to say you certainly aren't forgotten, nor will we leave you alone! Hope you're keeping well in what is certainly an awful situation!

8. DisconnectD

DisconnectD Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Hey, CD:

I have no idea what it's like to be going through a divorce but I was just going to let you know that I'm also eagerly anticipating Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demon's Reach and I think it looks absolutely gorgeous based on the screens and footage I've seen. I was intrigued from the very beginning and that hasn't diminished, not a bit!

I wish you the best of luck, you talented mother..

9. DisconnectD

DisconnectD Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    How's progress going, CD? I keep trying to find a rogue-like that captures the majestic feel of Spirit Hunter Mineko, to no avail. My DS is out of commission so Shiren Wanderer is out. I hope your life is getting back to normal.

Update us! :D

10. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

DisconnectD, Windburn, CygnetSeven, Jorlen, vernalequinox, Ravenblack, and others that have reached out via email and other contact methods to me over the past months, I really appreciate the kind words and the desire to see me finish what I've begun here. Believe me I have not abandoned this project or any of my other goals... times got tough and budgets got spent on necessities, but now I'm getting back on track! :D

The large downtime on Mineko has given me an opportunity to look over my work so far and my design documents. There was a lot I still liked in there, but almost equally as much stuff that just seemed so "me too", as though I was just making a prettier version of Rogue (coincidentally I AM doing that too, but not with Mineko ;))...

The roguelike genre has become more popular to work on lately (the 7 Day Roguelike competition just kicked off again too). I don't want Mineko to be "just another roguelike" in an increasingly large pile of them. There's nothing wrong with that I suppose, but its not my goal. I want to have something that stands out that I can really be proud of.

I've come up with a lot of new and interesting stuff in my slash and burn of old ideas... borrowing concepts from a number of other games both past and present. I'm more pleased with the new design and gameplay features of Mineko than I ever was before, and that's greatly motivating for me!

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know that both I and Spirit Hunter Mineko are still alive and getting better every day... Expect new information here and blog posts at Chronosoft.com to happen much more frequently again. First new teaser images should be ready in the next couple of weeks :D

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, CD is back in the mix!

12. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    CD, glad to hear that you've been able to shake the dust off and get back on the saddle again, must have been some trying times. Looking forward to seeing the new screenshots!

13. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Awesome to hear sir. Put yourself first in all you do. You deserve it!

14. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Very excited to hear about progress being made, for the game and for you, too. :)

15. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I'm not the hugest fan of rogue likes. That said, I really enjoyed torneko and some other dungeon crawlers in the same vein. I'd be pretty happy to see this project one day. Definite buy.

16. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Still hopin'... =)

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Having just spoken recently to the infamous CD, it is DEFINITELY still on and ever evolving! It's just that the real world (where he is an in demand mercenary programmer) is sucking up most of his free time. While this sucks for us now, it also means once things settle down he'll have made enough cash from all his travels to hole up in his basement to work on THIS uninterrupted for a time. :)

18. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

YES! As LordGek mentions (and we're still on for that roguelike discussion later this week ;)) I am in that perpetual pit of contract/consulting programming, but work on Spirit Hunter Mineko has not been abandoned. I actually tweeted about this the other day with Josh of Crescent Moon Games- My consulting this fall will bring in enough bank to allow me to take the winter off and get into game design and programming full-time at last!

For Mineko- The storyline has been getting a substantial revamp, and core gameplay elements have been tested, modified, tested again, scrapped, pulled back out of the trash, tested some more, then put through the shredder and buried in the back yard... I am finally getting things to a point where I'll be proud to show it to the world.

Tons of new and beautiful artwork has been created this year. Some of it is just enhancements to my existing monster stable, and lots of new vile bad guys. Some new territory as well...

I've written about this before here and elsewhere- I never wanted Mineko to be just a prettier "Me Too" roguelike. So now there's a bit more of story, a bit of progression due to quests, and multiple dungeons / world regions to explore... I think it may be starting to have as much or more in common with classic Zelda games as it does with Shiren the Wanderer :D

The overhaul of Rogue Touch is something that's been discussed much less here, but that is also coming along well. All new graphics- not just retina, but entirely new designs... lusciously detailed, including showing the actual weapons and armor on your character... topped off with new controls, gamecenter, and some other surprises. This will likely appear first as a teaser to Mineko.

Just wanted to say thanks for the continued interest in Mineko, and patience while I picked myself back up and got my life together again... Watch this space for more! :)

19. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Great to hear from you, CD! Even better that things are looking up for you.

Oh, very interesting... But still turn-based, I hope? Also, is it really possible to combine quest, plot and, I guess, puzzle elements (since you mentioned Zelda) with perma-death? Is it possible to randomize them so that repetition wouldn't start to wear on the player, without making them too shallow? I mean, it would be brilliant and a new step in game development if you can make it, but it is a lofty goal indeed.
    Another possibility, of course, might be making overworld with plot and adventure elements a normal RPG with saves that endure and confine perma-death to the dungeons.

I have just finished Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals on a SNES emulator and I really loved all the puzzle elements in it and also the concept of taking creatures in the back that gives you a bonus round to act. And how the party's high Agility sometimes allows you to get it even when attacking enemies from the side.
    It contains a game within game in the form of a 99 level rogue-like dungeon stripped of adventure elements (alas...). The characters are reduced to level 1 when transported into it. The interesting thing about the implementation is that most items you find in it, you lose when you leave the dungeon. But there are also rare blue chests that contain items that persist. You can leave and re-enter the dungeon with them. And in fact, the strategy of really making through it and beating the final boss involves gearing-up runs. This makes failure easier to bear, because if you found even one such item before dying, the run has not been wholly in vain.

Can't wait! It is going to be universal, right?

20. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    CD, any new updates on Spirit Hunter Mineko? Still holding my money out like Fry waiting for you to take it! :)