Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- First Info!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CommanderData, Mar 18, 2010.

1. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hah, you're pretty quick! Had a great chat with Blake here at WWDC. You may hear some more about that soon :D

2. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    wow that video looks awesome! love the lighting effect in motion!

3. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    That is a SWEET video! I can't wait for the finished product. :)

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Amazing video. Stoked for this!!!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow!

I love how even though I assume it is turn-based, much like the Shiren seires, if you just move continuously it appears to be real-time?

Are even the movement of the little bugs and such we saw fluttering by turn-based or are they straight animations not tied to your character's movement?

6. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks everyone!

I'm sitting in a session at WWDC typing on my iPhone so I'll briefly respond- yes it's a turn based game but if you're not in direct combat you would never know it. Everyone can make their movement turns at the same time, but attacks will take individual turns.

The little critters are turn based, tied to your motion. If you stop, so do they. These little guys will have some uses and effects in the final game of course.

I actually have the full-size monster tracking and animation mostly implemented, unfortunately it wasnt quite ready in time for WWDC and this video. I'll be showing that in a new video soon ;)

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I notice the player here has some trouble getting the character to go exactly where he wants. This is why I don't love swipe-based controls. A virtual joystick is a lot more reliable.

8. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

You can't really make assumptions based on that video. Blake was standing I front of the iPad to take video, and I was standing off the right side of the table at an odd angle. Not to mention I was trying to speed-run through levels that you'll never move that fast through due to the monsters and traps that will be getting turned on in the next couple weeks :D

Keep in mind this is really a turn based game, and you'll be making smaller bursts of movement with lots of other activity mixed in. Running around like a madman will mean certain death ;)

I might still leave an optional virtual stick available, that was one of a few earlier control methods I tested... But the swipe is much more accurate when playing the way this is meant to be played.

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, I just know how frustrating swipe controls are in Fargoal, which seems not dissimilar.

I admit there is no great solution for people who want precise and also quick control.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You have to be kidding me, Fargoal's controls are borderline perfect. Are you sure you're not just hating on swipe controls for the sake of hating on something?

11. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yes, I'm sure.

If you've learned that different controls work well for different people, this thread was not in vain.

12. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

I agree with both of you, Fargoal swipe controls work very well for most people (Some feedback I have had suggests my control meets and occasionally exceeds the excellent Fargoal!), but one control scheme does not fit all players. :)

In the end, I need to make sure my various gestures for shooting, magic, and environment interaction are still compatible with an optional virtual stick. So much has changed in the play design since my trials with the stick it might be tough, but I'll try to give choices :eek:

13. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I played this game (is played the right word?) at WWDC and its cool as hell.
    Go Kevin!!!

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #475 drelbs, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    +1

I've always loved Fargoal's controls.

15. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    IMPOSSIBLE!

:p

16. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    So, it's been quite some time that we've heard anything regarding Mineko, and I thought it too big a shame to have this thread float off into the nether when I could instead stave the fires of interest and hype once more!

CD, by chance have you any morsels of information to throw our way?

17. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Lately it's a tough juggling act- consulting work, personal life, and a handful of game projects can make anybody crazy. I agree its been a while since news was posted, and this thread is easily buried with the avalanche of news and new games announced regularly! I even missed it when you posted to look for an update here :eek:

You may have noticed a lot of new info I've been leaking about the Rogue Touch 2.0 update in this thread!

Some good news is I've made progress on the nuts and bolts of Spirit Hunter Mineko. Things like improved random level generators, tweaked rendering of shadows, more logical placement of rooms, doors, and so on. Recently I started coming up with 'Intelligent Treasure Placement' code, which analyzes a new random level and decides where the best treasures should be hidden (hint- its usually off the beaten path)!

I have received animation sheets for at least 6 or 7 new monsters over the past month, which places my unique stable around 50 now (not including potential re-colors for varying monster power levels).

There are some new world-regions being designed, some hot, some cold, some tropical, some otherworldly. This all ties into the basic premise, and will make sense when I get it done :)

I'm committed to completing Spirit Hunter Mineko and making it a AAA Dungeon Crawling / RPG / Roguelike experience! Rest assured, I will create a new Mineko showcase video as soon as monsters and combat are correctly implemented, but will try to slip in some new screenshots here to entertain in the meantime ;)

18. nafkert

nafkert Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Glad to know that progress continues to be made! I cannot wait to play it.

19. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    it's been two months since we last heard anything. is it still going strong? i'm really looking forward to this.