Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- First Info!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CommanderData, Mar 18, 2010.

1. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    :) can't wait for the eventual release! looks to be the most polished roguelike on IOS. Also looking forward to roguetouch update as well! Keep up the good work, and take your time to make the best game possible!!

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Thanks!

Not only will the game be highly refined from an iOS standpoint, Spirit Hunter Mineko will compare quite nicely to the level of polish found in classic SNES and even Nintendo DS games... As a matter of fact, one of my contributing artists has worked on several DS games.

The Rogue Touch update will be moving from 1.6 up to version 2.0. Expect some pretty major changes and upgrades to the old game engine (and some other surprises too).

The major ways to get status updates for my games will be here in the TA forums, my website and new blog, and via my twitter feed. Keep an eye out, more details are coming! :D

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Data, I would never pick on you, really! I'm just teasing you a very tiny little bit, honestly! Anticipation is killing me...

But ok, I promise to be a good boy from now on. *crosses fingers behind his back*

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #444 Vovin, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  5. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Ahh, yes, been there many times... :D

Edit- I see that you see that I've been there too! Which makes this less funny, but what the hell, I'm posting anyway ;)

Coincidentally, there is a "Joker-like" character in Mineko. Maybe not as crazy as this guy, but he'll be a tough customer either way! There will be quite a few enemies that require heavy equipment AND tactics to defeat.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Ah, ok. I just wasn't sure if you posted that directly or if you were quoted.

There are quite a lot of rogue-like based forums, web sites, flash games and much more stuff out there. Free Windows rogue-likes, some with a modern touch, it's really cool. It seems as if the Rogue genre is far more loved than I can imagine.

And yes, I am serious - I am not picking on you. A bit kidding doesn't count btw. ...

7. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    This game must be huge.

8. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Spirit Hunter Mineko is huge :D

You are looking at 5 or 6 major environments you can explore. The primary "quest" should weigh in with 32 levels across multiple environments. There are about 40 distinct monster types, some additional monsters that are related to the base 40, and several "boss" monsters. All of this adds up to several thousand frames of animation.

In addition to the main storyline mission there will be some side-quest style missions for those that like to grind and hunt for items. After the primary mission is completed, a nightmare mode opens up with a 99 floor dungeon.

There is a ton of content, hopefully enough for 40 or 50 hours. I'll have better estimates when its close to completion...

If Mineko sells well, I may add more special modes and some other neat stuff (an endless/survival game, or an arena, or something like that)... But first, I really need to get the primary game done and into everyone's hands ;)

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yessssssssssssss!

10. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    wow! cant wait

11. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Yes, you do. I've been waiting for another good rogue game with the same quality as RT.

:)

12. melvin2898

Feb 4, 2011
  13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Still alive! I've been working on some small UI changes and a font rendering system this week (while juggling a full schedule for my "day job")... but overall things are going well.

In addition, my website has been completely redesigned, and I've started blogging about my game projects. See my new post about Inspirations for Spirit Hunter Mineko here: http://www.chronosoft.com/ --- If you want to post questions or responses to the blog there, or right here in this thread, I'll make sure to respond as soon as I can :)

And since everyone's been so patient, here's a picture I just took that shows some early bitmap-font goodness (only the health bar values and current potion name show up right now). Not too bad for a days work! The font is based on the classic SNES versions of Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger... just because I love those games so much :D

Attached Files:

14. melvin2898

Feb 4, 2011
  15. nafkert

nafkert Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Still looking forward to this. Making progress?

16. melvin2898

Feb 4, 2011
    Hello? Are you there? How are you doing today? What's up with the game?

17. TouchHeartRo

TouchHeartRo Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
  18. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

I'm always here :D

Honestly I didn't figure it's worth everyone's time to put up details of every small bit of work I manage to get done, or how many days I get set back every time my phone rings here and someone needs me to fly who knows where to work on some piece of equipment :p

Other than the font rendering work I did recently, I've started building a better animation system that lets me reuse data and parts of textures. Sort of like "actors". One monster type (lets say a Giant Bat) consists of texture data, behavior info, and stuff like that, but there can be multiple monsters or "actors", each with a different location, status, and health stats.

So you only want to load the shared behavior routines and texture data once for all Giant Bat actors, and then remove it when no more Giant Bats are on the level. This type of memory management goes a long way to making sure Spirit Hunter Mineko can run on old and new devices, or keep running even if you've got a lot of background tasks...

Anyway, this actor-animation system is well underway, but probably won't be complete for a while since I have to leave on a consulting project tomorrow... away through the holiday, returning late next week, just in time to do laundry and get back on another plane for WWDC (in San Francisco).

This mirrors the past couple of years of my life in a nutshell, and why Mineko is not done yet :eek:

Here is a new teaser pic with sweet, juicy progress:

[​IMG]

This was rendered in-game of course, but please note that everything here is subject to change or further improvement... Equipment details, items, and other aspects will definitely change. At least this proves I'm not dead, the project is not dead, and in fact is starting to look pretty darn nice ;)

Please ask if you have questions and I'll try to chime in more often!

19. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    That screenshot looks awesome. I like my items with so many stats and modifiers that I need a spreadsheet to track them ;) ( seriously )

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am still aching to play this. Can't do much about it though, other than wait which is (seriously) painful.