Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- First Info!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CommanderData, Mar 18, 2010.

1. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dreaming on the job I see, no wonder Mineko is taking so long to come out1

2. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Any news on Mineko? This one is on the top of my waiting list.

3. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Um yeah - mine too ;)

4. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hey guys! I know the thread got burried deep :eek:

The day job's been killing me for over a month now, due to crunch time programming. Just flew to Chicago this week and am in the process of installing a major control system for a large company that will remain unnamed... I'm actually sneaking peaks at my e-mail and the web right now when I should be working...

Mineko is definitely on my mind, but there has not been much time left for me to write code for her when I'm doing 12-18 hours a day on consulting work. Good news is that pays the bills and gets me in a position to finish the artwork and music for Spirit Hunter Mineko AND Rogue Touch EX. Bad news is that I'm on the hook for one more project to install in October! :(

I promise to bring out some new details and screenshots (and possibly video as well) in the near future, but the next few days are going to be hell so please bear with me. Game design and programming will proceed slowly for a bit longer, then I hope to go into warp speed by November in an attempt to be ready for the holiday season. If anyone knows the formula for a "Potion of Haste Self" please let me know! :D

Josh- I picked up a copy of Rimelands last night, congrats to you and the Dicework team on the release and quick rise all the way to #1 RPG! Only had a small run with it before bed and again at lunch today but I'm very impressed with it so far. I owe you an e-mail as well, will try to write later tonight :)

5. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Good to hear this is not forgotten. I will be waiting playing this wonderful Rimeland game meanwhile. This wolves are really though!

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    So when is RT EX coming? I swear I have logged twice as much time with Rogue Touch as any other iPhone game I have. Will that be coming out before Mineko?

7. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I think you should ask him after October

8. Evan.Greenwood

Evan.Greenwood Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    Just wanted to say Spirit Hunter Mineko looks very exciting... I LOVE Rogue-likes but I do also like fluid gameplay and polished graphics... as well as thoughtful inventive mechanics, which is what really excites me about this title from what I have read so far.

I don't know if you have finalized what you want to do with food, or anti-camping motivation, (I may have missed something in these 40-something pages of chat), but I've got a few thoughts (and if they are at all helpful then that is awesome).

I think having scores based on time taken and the possibility of dangerous monsters entering the level will motivate players to keep moving, much like the food-mechanic. This tied in with a more positive version of the food mechanic (and maybe some other mechanics you haven't mentioned) should do the trick. I like your idea of a Day-Night Cycle for instance, it has nice flavour.

Some other things that I have been thinking about implementing in the game I am working on (which isn't a Rogue-like but a action-rpg with slight Rogue-like influence) :

• A combat combo system. Basically it is fairly easy to give the player buffs for success in combat, and if these buffs wear off soonish outside of combat then the player has incentive to keep fighting things. These buffs can be tied to the flavour/mechanic of the character class, or bestowed upon the player through a religion system with deities, or even through the weapons themselves (like BloodThirsty Daggers).
    • Or buffs that are not earned but found. I know it isn't a Rogue-like, but Diablo had shrines of experience: as soon as the player activated one he/she would then run around fighting as many things as possible until the increased-experience-gain effect wore off.
    • I'm also thinking about rewarding players with increasing amounts of gold if they have been constantly fighting for a while. This is quite arcady, and probably not suitable for for Spirit Hunter, but it certainly makes leaving combat less desirable, and makes entering the next combat quickly more desirable.
    • Temporary allies... If allies came and helped the player for a while then the player would be encouraged to use the assistance as best they could. Another possibility is having enemies that get into fights with each other which also gives the player a chance to pounce.
    • Battle mechanics that provide windows of opportunity. We are implementing leader enemies into most groups of enemies. If the leader dies then the others scatter and are temporarily easier to pick off, until they regroup. If this temporary window of opportunity comes at a time that the player may otherwise have retreated then the player may instead choose to fight on. However I don't know how much of possibility retreat is in Spirit Hunter Mineko is, but retreat is one of the things that the food mechanic discourages.
    • Levels that disallow backward motion. This is kind of nasty, but doors can slam shut behind players or ground fall away beneath their feet and so cut off their retreat. This can of course only work if the game has been balanced to make such situations seem fair and if there are enough visual clues that players can prepair for these situations. This doesn't exactly stop players from healing between fights, but does stop players from trying to pick out single enemies at a time (which given your organically shaped levels may be possible?)...

Hope there is something there you hadn't already considered, I know that most of what I am suggesting suits a fast paced game, but of the what-elements-work-or-could-be-potentially-work-in-a-Rogue-like-threads that I've read (and haven't initiated myself) this has been the best.

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Nice hopeful thread revival

10. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    My most anticipated game ATM, next to axolot's next release.

11. jake1981

jake1981 Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Any updates on this or has the project been buried..?

12. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Hello all! Spirit Hunter Mineko is most definitely NOT dead!

I spent much of the last 4 months in a string of tough day-job projects that had me burning the candle at both ends. Without the availability of the three sided candle (or a time machine) that meant no more ends to burn on Mineko. :eek:

The good news is that even though I couldn't spend time programming, I have had a couple of artists continuing work on sprites, interface elements, and other illustrations for the game. TA forum member Mindfield has been tackling some new music composition tools and methods. And finally, I've been refining some of the gameplay concepts and mechanics so that Spirit Hunter Mineko will be fun to play even for those who don't care much for roguelikes.

Bad news is we're going to miss the Christmas launch timeframe. Rather than rush out something sub-par in the hopes to make more money at the holidays, I want to take the time to finish her off right!

Expect to see much more news in the coming weeks, including new images and videos that should show off more depth in the gameplay. I'm still holding some of the magic system close to my chest for now, but it'll be great! ;)

I'll try make this thread more active again, and answer questions later as well as address some wonderful comments that Evan.Greenwood had for us last month! Believe me, I appreciate everyone's interest and desire to play! :)

13. K76

K76 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 12, 2010
    Cowtown, Texas
    This is an EXCELLENT decision! While a bit frustrating short-term, we'll all be happier with this approach in the long run. Take your time, and we'll be here to celebrate when the game is ready for a proper launch.

14. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    I have plenty of interest and desire here, just bring on the news.

Thanks for the heads up, CD.

15. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Yay, Mineko news!

I do wish it was coming sooner rather than later, but I'm glad you're going to "finish her off right" as you say. I wish all devs would take time and not rush out a buggy/unfinished product.

On the other hand, hurry the heck up! :p

16. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm looking forward to it. After Necronomicon I'm sick of buggy releases, so I don't care how much you delay it, as long as you do it right. Unlike Necronomicon. (Do I sound bitter?)

17. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    You know, I kind of wish that you were able to implement more control options.

I think that perhaps holding the context action button should...bring up an action menu?

Possibly make a tap in the direction of something while holding one of the other buttons to shoot at it as a control option?

18. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Been a few days since I have had a chance to pop in here!

Certainly not ruling anything out for Mineko control schemes... Over the past couple of weeks I had an artist mock-up some various on-screen controls to try to nail down the "best" possible control methods. In doing so, I have learned that some of these concepts are far from the ideal. I want the old manta "less is more" to apply here.

I really hate cluttered interfaces and want you to see more of the dungeon, not a screen covered with buttons and widgets with some dungeon showing in the middle. The biggest problem is doing this in a user friendly way. Lots of gestures to learn or discover will cause trouble... Multiple "button" presses to throw or shoot something get annoying... It seems I'm in trouble whether I zig or zag, but hopefully I'll find the middle ground :D

19. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    still extremely excited for this!

20. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks! And of course I'm dying to see Aralon this coming week... We definitely need to talk again sometime soon! :)

Hopefully I can bring in some more interesting Mineko news this week too ;)