Spiral (episodic action RPG using Unreal Engine, by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Mar 5, 2012.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Can you share the installed size of the game? Is it retina enabled on the ipad 3/4?

Thanks!

2. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Off the top of my head, the installed size of the game is like 750MB (to download it's about 300MB).

As far as the retina on the newer ipads, they are both non-retina, but the ipad 4 is 90% of the full res, and you really can't tell the difference because of the antialiasing.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Is there a walk option in Spiral? I've seen the run and dash but no walking. Trips me out when your character can't stroll off like badass after smashing a dozen enemies

4. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Am I correct to assume that the GUI and menu elements aren't also retina enabled?

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    There is walking after killing enemies while in some areas, like inside towns.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Will my iphone4 run it?
    Like the art style alot.
    Really like the art style.

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Shanks

8. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yes, sadly the all the game data is pretty huge, and to have different versions of the UI to support retina would have been massive. That said we've tried to keep the look of the menus simple and clean, so they hold up pretty well. The biggest reason the game isn't at full retina is because of post effects like the bloom working with antialiasing. We could probably sacirifice that for resolution, but the overall prettiness goes down.

Your iPhone 4 will run it, but very badly. When we first started we were able to support 3GS and up, but some of the updates to the unreal engine over the last year which we've had to include began to cause real performance problems on older devices.

We also have pretty large scenes with 20+ animated characters running around so there is a lot to render. The 3GS and Gen4 ipod touch just don't have enough memory to load the game. :(

Post release we'll see if there is anything we can do, but it's looking unlikely.

9. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    how does it run on an iphone 5?? please. you can tell me the general framerate if you know it but even telling me if its smooth or not will do.

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Aw heck. Thanks anyway dev.
    I guess it s time to upgrade soon.
    But that explains alot about the gaming situation.
    Ah well good four.
    You had a nice run.
    Anyho, thanks for the detailed response.

11. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    On iPhone 5? It's pretty much always 60fps, that thing is a beast! So no problems there. :)

12. Lerisbo1192

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    wooow!!! thanks a lot!!! i hope this game will be a total success!!!

13. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Looks pretty cool. Gonna be an expensive week for me with this and XCOM, but well worth it

14. Lerisbo1192

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    Hi!! Thats may be too soon to tell buy are you planning on supporting made for ios controllers in the future as ios 7 will integrate them?

15. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Probably. Though it's going to be interesting as we spent a lot of time designing this game from the ground up for touch screens rather than a virtual stick and buttons kind of set up, so in some ways some of the elements we have would actually be worse on a pad than with the touch screen.

We'll work something out I'm sure :)

16. Dbase123

Dbase123 Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Texas
    iPhone 4S?

Hi, I've been following this game for a while and I'm super excited to see it finally coming out! I was just wondering how this game will run on a 4s? Thank you for you time and I can't wait til it comes out!

17. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Game runs absolutely fine on 4S. I have a 4S and it's what I used to take the screen shots a few pages back ;)

18. Dbase123

Dbase123 Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks, glad to hear it! Is the release still planned for the 20th? Thanks!

19. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yup!

20. Dbase123

Dbase123 Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Texas
    Sweet! Thanks for all work you put in to this game! I can't wait to download it in a few days!