Universal Spiral Episode 1 - (by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Oh goodness, this was one of the main releases I was looking forward to and I'm blown away by the effusiveness in this thread! Also, I am always so thrilled to see developers active in their game's thread, and more content on the way!

I'm off to watch a few gameplay videos and then click "buy". ;)

2. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Forgive me if this has been asked but approximately how long is episode one?

3. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    The game is great, though the out of battle movement is incredibly awkward. It would greatly benefit from a floating movement stick on the left side of the screen with the option to adjust the camera on the right side. Also, it would be nice to see the camera pan more quickly in battles, there are a lot of times where Im vulnerable to enemy attacks I can't see coming for a period before the camera finally adjusts.

Overall though it's a great game. Im loving the art style.

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Okay, well between Naders positive interaction on the thread and an overwhelmingly universal positive reaction the likes of which I can't really recall seeing in along time means I'm off to the store again to hit a buy button.
    Here's hoping that bloody credit card is still working working because its pretty bruised and battered this week.

Thanks for all the reactions people, hadn't been paying too much attention to this one for some unknown reason, but after reading all the thread it definitely appears as though I should have been and that this is indeed an easy buy.

Best of luck to Nader and the other six guys in the office.
    Plus, from the videos of gameplay I've seen, seven guys making this, very impressive.

5. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Well haven't even paid attention to this weeks releases but with all the praise I'm downloading this now.

6. Taclys

Taclys Member

May 30, 2013
    Biggest complaint so far, is the battle seem a bit tough early on, and the camera could be a bit more flexible. I'd love a zoom ability on the camera controls, and more range during the grapple segments, or battle segments. But the battles themselves are good, though tough. I don't appreciate how the entropies ignore your shield and hit straight to your health bar, and how they have a terrible tendency to gangbang you on a moments notice. You have to run a lot, and take them on one-at-a-time. However, those aren't bad enough issues to detract from the awesome rest of the game.

One other thing, better maps would be appreciated. Sometimes I have no idea where I'm going, and while I figure it out, feels like wasted time.

I appreciate no IAPs though! Only IAPs I want to see someday are the next episodes, this is great so far.

7. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    We're going to look into speeding up the camera rotation see if we can get it to adjust more quickly.

As for the zoom, we actually have a pinch zoom outside of combat, but not in combat because there is too much risk for conflict with some of the other inputs.

The entropies are tough, though only their Heavy or charge attacks are unblockable. Using the blast to give yourself space, or even better, unlocking the counter move makes managing the berserker type (the ones that run straight at you) much easier to handle!

The map is something we've talked about improving internally in updates, so don't worry it is something we will seriously look at ;)

8. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Sold. Downloading now!

9. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I took some time from xcom to play this and now I wish I had been playing this exclusively. How do you guys like the story so far? I'm not far in.

10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm not either, but so far I like it. Right now I'm playing some arena games. Got to the 10th round in the first game mode, with 177 deaths and 12512 EXP after playing half an hour. I kinda miss some really tough bosses though.

11. Dbase123

Dbase123 Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Texas
    #131 Dbase123, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    Well, I finally got to download Spiral and all I have to say is wow. The games graphics are as expected, outstanding. You guys really raised the bar for any action adventure game out there. Spiral is hands down the best and personal favorite game on my phone right now! Devs, keep up the great work, I understand its tough competition on the AppStore with all these new apps coming out so rapidly but I know you guys will exceed all of them. I remember a year ago when I accidentally stumbled upon this forum and bookmarked it on my phone and I must say it was the best accident I ever made :). I will be constantly checking the Facebook page often, but for now I'm just getting into episode four and eager to continue on! Thank you very much devs for an incredible game that I will never forget! I'm going to tell all of my friends about how great you guys are!

12. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Simply amazing! Haven't had this much fun playing an ios rpg in quite a while.

I can not WAIT for more episodes!

Beyond polished, beyond all my expectations. Great effin job guys!

13. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    All the positive impressions sold me.
    Downloaded, played for 15 or 20 minutes.
    It's a really great game and I'd suggest that anyone still on the fence should pick it up. For more detailed reviews just browse this thread.
    That said, I would really appreciate a faster camera in battles and an alternative control scheme. Ideally a joystick and maybe a few buttons, although I could live with just a joystick and the tap to attack controls.

14. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Doesn't anyone notice that you have to watch the intro for a minute very time you strt the game.

It akes about a minute to get to the game menu. Please fix.

15. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    i think thats a loading screen and that happen with pretty much every unreal engine game

16. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012

Can you please fix the intro. It takes a minute to get to the game menu every time you start the game. A skip or something please. Tapping doesn't get rid of it and I don't want to watch it everytime I start the game.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Jesus dude, the game is loading.

18. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Unfortunately the version of the Unreal Engine that we have for mobile at the moment requires that we load the shaders for every asset in the game up front, which is why there is such a heavy load at the start (we don't have much control over it).

There is supposed to be a UE3 update coming soon that will allow us to load only assets needed at a particular time. We are hoping to integrate this, which will make the initial load shorter (but conversely the level loads when in game will be slightly longer).

19. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    #139 Ausar, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    mmm to be honest i like more the way is now i actually prefer to wait like a minute and play without without much loading, although a little music on that screen would be nice or replace it with the launch trailer if that is possible

btw Nader thanks for the PM and like you said since i play on the iphone it may need a little tweak there since the size of the screen

Edit: Nader one thing i was going to ask do you have taken inspiration from specially FFVII? some moments brings back memorys from that as well from deus ex although much less with the last one, great job on the music as well that theme that plays during the dream scenes feels very halo 2

20. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I had thought might be the case but the first time I played it I wondered if it was a bug. It would be good to simply say loading, maybe show a percentage sign...on a 4s with current OS and it took...seemed like minutes. I'm tapping all over the screen wondering if I am missing something.

Easily fixed with some communication.