Universal Spiral Episode 1 - (by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    We're still working on this! It's not a simple fix for various reasons.

We've fixed general performance problems on iOS7 which required re-jigging some of the post process effects so the game runs as it did before.

However the bigger issue we are currently looking into is memory. The game runs fine, but will just randomly crash as iOS7 uses over 100MB more memory for itself than iOS6 did.

With devices with 512MB of memory (iPhone 4S, iPod touch 5th gen, iPad 2 and iPad Mini) iOS 6 left around 250MB of RAM.

Now on iOS7 those devices only have approximately 140MB of available memory.

So we're trying to see how we can reduce available memory footprint.

There are also a bunch of updates to the main app (better virtual stick etc..), and controller support we're just finalising.

We are trying to resolve things as fast as possible!

2. leonheart1

leonheart1 Active Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Oh no! Does this mean the game will now look worse than before? It'd be a damn shame if so. :(
    I'm using an iPad 4 so the RAM shouldn't be an issue for me.

Regardless, thanks for the update and keep up the hard work!

3. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    No, it looks exactly the same, so don't worry :)

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I haven't updated to iOS 7 as I always wait for any kinks to be ironed out and sometimes hold out until games start requiring the latest iOS version.

Admittedly, I haven't dug too deep into it, but this RAM issue is something I was not aware of. That's a HUGE difference and I would imagine yours is not the only game to have issues because of this.

I don't know. I've heard mixed things on the new UI, but until it's stable on the game performance front, I'm staying away.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Exactly the reason why my ipad mini is still on iOS6 and the 4S is on iOS7, as the mini is mainly for gaming now.

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Damn, 100 MB more...
    I was thinking about updating my iPhone 4S even if that meant losing the jailbreak (and PPSSPP :(), but woaaah, no way I'm updating it just to see games and apps crashing all day.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I had no idea that iOS 7 took up 100MB more ram... that's... beyond ridiculous. Especially with Apple already not really having enough RAM in quite a few of their models. I was waiting to update to 7 until more games got updated for it, and a few more .0x updates for the OS came out, fixing all the little bugs... but even now... I dunno. I might just keep my phone at 6.1.3, and wait til I get an iPad 4 (or 5) in February of next year before having any device that's running iOS 7.

I feel bad for people with 4th gen touches that updated... =o/
    They were already basically completely outdated... but now... they're pretty much obsolete if they're running the new OS. I'm going to have to make sure my youngest doesn't update her iPod. =oO

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This.

Even on my 4S, there are a few games i played a little that now are a bit stuttering. This includes Avengers Initiative, I Gladiator, After Earth, Pitfall!, Verticus and Darkness Rush among others.

9. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    I didn't update because I got burned when updating the original iPad to iOS 5. Once bitten...

10. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I don't think iOS 7 supports iPod 4 at all. That would leave the iPod's RAM with ~32 MB free :p

11. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That'd be zero people, as the 4th-gen iPod Touch doesn't support iOS 7.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ah, yeah... I just looked it up and you are definitely correct about that. Sorry about all that blah blah blahness. Here's a thread on the Apple forums - looks like it'll NEVER be available for the 4th gen touch...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5319304?start=0&tstart=0

Still... it's crazy that they've locked up 100MB of RAM for this new OS. I know they want to make everything look more modern, and have everything more streamlined... but the cost of doing so is really not worth it. At least... in my opinion. It's like a big slap in the face to iOS gamers - and I guess just really shows that they do not consider the iDevice an actual mobile gaming platform like the Android or Windows phone devices do. =o/

It's a shame, because I was really hoping that Apple would move more towards turning their devices into gaming platforms... well... more so than they are now.

I could be completely off-base here, and I know I'm just dragging this thread off topic... so I'm sorry about that...

I'll... shut my fingers up. =oP

As for Spiral... I'm on my 2nd playthrough now... and it's... just... incredible. I can't tell you how excited I am about a continuation of the game. I hope that you guys (the devs) can get all of the issues with iOS 7 taken care of without too many issues popping up or having to drop support for any devices. Would just make me hate OS7 even more. =oP

13. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Pretty much ^this.^

100MB of RAM? Yikes!

I've got a new something-or-other in the pipe, (waaay out of contract, i4 getting older by the second these days) and I'm not entirely sure I'm even going to mess with iOS 7 before then. I was waiting for the bulk of my game updates to pop, but it seems like every passing day brings me a new list of "don't update" reasons...

As for the iPod 4 folks? Yeah. I like me some Apple, but wow.

Edit: Double-ninja'd! Well, that's good news on the iPod 4s anyway...

DBC

14. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    It was one thing when Apple was creating new products with faster processors and shooting them out like crazy; the new ones always had something better. But now, you buy one thing and by next year, you're already missing out on too much. I don't know what to think anymore.

Why is this game back on the charts again? Something wrong with playing speed on ios 7?

15. JetLinerSaw

JetLinerSaw Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Where can one download the soundtrack to this?

16. JetLinerSaw

Sep 5, 2013
    And has anyone had a problem with freezes at certain battles in chapter 7?

17. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Yes: the attacking train won't always offload its passengers. I have never experienced this if I walk rather than run out the car door to meet them.

18. JetLinerSaw

Sep 5, 2013
    #418 JetLinerSaw, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    I just tried it on iPad 2 and iphone 5 and it did the exact same thing multiple times. Deleted, reinstalled, still doing it. Lol like wth

Edit: and it's different every time.. Like two will unload or none will..but then it just stops. It has to be a problem with the game if it's happening on two different devices right?

19. Benni_

Benni_ Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Designer
    Hi there. Benni here, designer on team Pixelhero. There was an issue with the pathing of the enemies from one train to the other. I'm afraid that there's nothing that can be done until we release the next patch (probably 2 or 3 weeks).

The only action which can be taken currently is to restart the app and try again. I'm sorry that you're getting this bug but I've made a fix for it and it's ready for when we next update the game.

20. JetLinerSaw

Sep 5, 2013
    Hey no problem at all! Totally understand! Got some really awesome stuff here a lot of potential, whatever helps make it better!
    On that note when does ep 2 drop? Lol