Universal Spiral Episode 1 - (by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. loudog999

loudog999 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Sorry if it has been asked but I didn't want to read through many pages to avoid spoilers. Does icloud sync work between iphone and ipad on this? I thought it did but when I loaded up my game on the ipad I was starting over instead of continuing where I left off on the phone.

2. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    it has a kind of lag.
    But iCloud sync is not really working as it should anyway. Apple really needs to work on this.

3. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I just had to stop back here and say wowwwww. This game is truly a masterpiece. I am so impressed with how the controls and combat was implemented. Now that I got the hang of it, I can honestly say that I prefer this control system over any other. This could be my GOTY. I really hope that you guys make the money you deserve. The world needs more games from your team!

4. anwar79

anwar79 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    What he said. Totally agree and hope they are able to create later episodes and hope they are as good and add ore depths like items to purchase in game ( no premium currencies with IAP please... )

Excellent game nonetheless.

5. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #345 philodygmn, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    My lone gripe with combat is the Blast move is toughest to execute just when you need it most: when being ganged-up on. I can imagine single-finger tap-and-hold for unclaimed screenspace could be sloppy, too, though, particularly depending on camera angle (thing is, you can't swing view yourself, plus who'd have time in the heat of battle?). There's also its potential to interfere with recognition of other gestures, but it seems pretty isolated since it's not an action-attack -type gesture. Still, the best defense is a good offense and most of the time I find myself occupied obviating occasion for it, it's just that those times you find you're caught in an undertow's when you want to bust out a Blast, then can't :-/ Having Counter unlocked helps a lot, but still... Only the devs know all of what else will need accommodating, and I'll bet there's enough great stuff coming that Blast will seem like an afterthought! :)

6. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Help please?

Hello! I am not too far along in the game (Chapter2), and I'm hoping for a hint please on how to find Sector S after I have defeated the 'entropies', and I only see Sectors A and M for example?
    What am I missing please?

Any information or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

7. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    #347 philodygmn, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    Pause, then open the map and you'll see how each of the sectors inter-link (you said you're not far, so I presume "S" is a typo given there's no S Sector on the map and just advancing the plot finishes the game).

8. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    We're tweaking the size of the collision you can touch for Tempus... it seems on the phone this is a problem that happens a lot due to the size of the screen.

Sorry for the lack of posts, it's been a busy few days!

We are submitting an update in just under two weeks which will add some new content, as well as addressing much of the user feedback.

I'll post the more details on it closer to the time :)

9. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    The game is really good.I enjoyed it very much!
    But there are a few things that I should think need wor:
    1. The camera angle was never good for me.When I tried to look right it was left and vice versa.It never felt like to be in right place.
    2. The gameplay was short and it ended for me even before it started.Although it was short I wouldn't mind paying more for such an incredible game.
    3. The game seemed to be hanging on my device.During a fight it just hangs and sometimes it starts and sometimes not.Especially at the last chapter on the train I had this issue a lot of times.I had to start the game again 5 times to pass the point.
    4. I would like to make a suggestion to make other episodes IAPs
    So the whole game could remain into my pocket!
    Although I made a lot of complain but this game is a real jewel.It has the potential to become a masterpiece if a few tweaks were made.I would be expecting the next episode!

10. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    wow!!! awesome if there s my virtual pad.....omg!! if not then i"ll still wait!!

11. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Finally got it and I see what all the fuss is about :) very cool so far. I especially like the controls even on my small touch :) ok back to playing.

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Cool. Looking forward to more feedback since it's on sale and on my radar to purchase.

13. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    I just finished the game and I must say this is definitely on my top 5 of all time list. I truly loved the combat and I think the control scheme was just spot on. I don't see the need to tweak anything. Just maybe the camera speed in combat. I hope sales have picked up for you guys. I have told anyone that will listen about this game. I just hope we can see the next game. Any ETA?

14. Fastbridge

Aug 20, 2009
    NYC, New York. USA
    I can't say I encountered this issue. I found blast really helpful and easy to use. Most of the time I was doing just a quick charge and it would still take out all nearby enemies. If there was one thing that felt a little off I would have to say the dodge. A few times when trying to dodge away from 3 enemies, a bad guy would be where I was tapping and instead of dodging, he would attack.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Like DMC? Gotta have this then!

16. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #356 oldgamer dude, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    Well I've only played 2 chapters and as a person who likes RPGs and adventure games I love it. I think the controls are pretty well done for a touch screen, it would be nice to have a joystick option when walking around but the tap to go here and there works well. The combat is fast and furious and works surprisingly well. Tap for a light attack, hold on the enemy for a strong attack ( a power gauge comes up) and hold your character for a clearing 'blast' attack- which is easy to execute and has saved my bacon a couple of times already. I'm sure there are more moves to learn as you lvl up.

The graphics are really smooth and better than I thought they would be ( trailer doesn't do the game justice ) And the story so far is pretty cool, and the voice acting is passable lol . No really it's not that bad at all. let me just say in closing that the game is better than I expected it to be with some cool menus and a boatload of polish.

It's one of those games you want to play when you have some free time, like I was going to play it for a little bit before dinner and I played some Quadropus Rampage instead. I want to play this when everything is calm and I can use headphones and devote some quality time to it and really get immersed lol.

Buy, buy, buy! :)

Ha ha oh, the combat does remind me of Devil May Cry a bit. Oh and some niggles - the game takes a while to load on first load up and I'm not thrilled with episodic games, but more and more are going that way.

17. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    #357 philodygmn, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    My apologies that I keep forgetting to scope this to phone (well, I'm on 5th gen Touch).

It definitely helps that a tiny amount of charge is so powerful, but usually by the time I charge enough to Blast at all I'm hit again. I'm lucky to even start one with how tough targeting Tempus is. Mostly the feeling of helplessness purely due to miffed controls when a move specifically designed to address the scenario's available motivated my mentioning it. Really, it's a pretty minor point of combat for me, I mostly was just trying to offer constructive criticism ;-)

Happens a fair amount for me, too, but now I aim for empty screen space instead of thinking purely in terms of direction from/around Tempus. Once damage dodge unlocks, it's pretty smooth sailing.

Oddly enough, one other area where screenspace versus joystick ran me aground was in out-of-battle camera controls and also reticle controls while in a corner or near a wall: pressing/swiping to one side enough shifts from mere lateral movement into actually backtracking along that axis, turning at a radius that distance from his feet. I'm still a little weirded out by it *abashed spurt of laughter* but it works well...I chalk it up to all my formative gaming having been with a joystick essentially inside both the avatar and camera :O) Touch is slightly less responsive in this regard, but in a no-pressure context of exploration, its seamlessness easily justifies any awkward moments of transition, IMO.

Way(, way) earlier in this thread, as in the game's tutorials, it's mentioned that holding instantiates a reticle, walking for single-tap, running for double, though where you instantiate will give it that bias relative to Tempus on-screen, so I just put it right on him and go where I want from there, instead of starting at some point of interest afield only to have the shift in perspective and composition inherent to getting there require my adjusting my input to compensate, which is impossible to really do entirely smoothly. Because there's no dead space centered on Tempus, the effect is a slight weaving back and forth if I'm trying to run straight, but to me it's just easier and clearer.

These are why I recommended a while back that the reticles be joysticks, but that does destroy some immersion. Ultimately I side against the devs because of inherent incongruence between reticle location and what its input on that point on the screen becomes on your way there, but their system is still really nice and works well once you grok it.

Yes, yes, _substantive_ gaming! Long live creative content driven entertainment!!!

:-D So with you on that! This game and its devs deserve to be hailed as the defining moment of action/adventure combat on touchscreen—and with multitouch unused, I'm sure they're just warming up! :)

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I loved this game since Day-Negative-One (pre-release version), and it's a part of my GotY list now. It isnt perfect, but it is the most stylish Action RPG i have ever played, with great controls that work so well on the touchscreens, beautiful graphics, high quality sounds and voiceovers, and gritty story that i cant wait to unveil from the coming episodes.

I even bought it full price at release, despite having a pre-release version I got for free.

19. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    Ha h_aaa_a, so we see your ulterior motive! j/k! I know _I_'m looking forward to updates enough to have done the same thing were I in _your_ shoes ;-)

20. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Nader listen to me everything is ok but why dont you put game in full chapters? i would like to buy full game included all episodes and with size 5 GB its ok why not? even if it was $20 i would purchased the game again! :)