Universal Spiral Episode 1 - (by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The endless loading screen isn't the only problem. My iPhone gets so hot after a while that I think it's about to explode :p

2. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yea, I've noticed my 4S get's really hot too if I have it rested against something (like a table). I usually have to hold it up or not leave it against something and it becomes just a teeny bit warm... I know 3D games tax these devices, but it does surprise me every time.

I guess we're overloading the device with awesome? :p

3. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I think handling heat is a matter of finding the right casing solution. Mine was Sugru, a moldable silicone which sets in about 15 minutes (ready for use in a couple hours). A strip across the back keeps my fingers off the metal. My original purpose was a custom case to hold VibesUp vibrational therapy pads onto my device because I'm too sensitive to electronics to use them for long otherwise, especially touchscreen. (Sorry if TMI/too narrow)...

Attached Files:

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Then the upcoming update will make it explode :D
    MC4 and this game are the only ones that make my iPhone so hot that the brightness gets lowered automatically.

5. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #265 philodygmn, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    I don't mean every other post to be me, here, but one reason Sugru's so great for this is it bonds to metal so you won't trap in heat but also won't have dirt between the case and device, plus Sugru is removable so if you mess up, no big (though it's a mite pricey). Apply only as much as you feel you need, and the device gets to breathe/dissipate heat for the rest.

Infinity Blade II gets my iPod pretty hot—no matter what isn't there to trap heat that's coming from it—but Spiral never so far even after my hours-long sessions for my 1st playthrough. Maybe it uses more effects on iPhone's A6X versus iPod 5's A6?

For Sugru alone, I imagine just a few strips diagonally in each direction with no edge piece would stave off crisis on a flat surface pretty well while keeping your fingers out of contact so it stays usable even if you must pick it up...?

6. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    oh one thing that is nice and alas, becoming so rare nowadays that it's worth mentioning, there is NO IAP.
    It's so good to play a game without timers and not wondering if it was tweaked to make you purchase extra ruby gems or whatever s..tty item they want to sell you.

TA hasn't reviewed it yet right?

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of those things. For me playing in short bursts games that make my iPhone hot is enough.

8. anwar79

anwar79 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Just completed the game. Great game thankfully nothing to do with premium IAP currency crap to boot. Hope it does well enough on the sales side of things so that the subsequent episodes can be released.

Just a quick question: what does New Game+ do ? Just replay the game with all the stats or are there any additional differences.

After changes at the end of the game, are there any changes to the main character other than a slight visual change? Trying to avoid any spoilers here...

9. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Currently new game + just maintains your stats, but in future episodes will probably inclide increased difficulty.

To answer your second question, no it's just a cosmetic upgrade for the moment (though obviously you get a lot of XP in the final battle).

10. brett477

brett477 Member

May 8, 2012
    Great game! I find myself tossing up weather to play this or 'the last of us' so good job competing with a ps3 title.
    I love the exploration and just walking around the city talking to people. It's already been said many times but the facial expressions and mouth movements are amazing.
    If I could make a small suggestion I think the combat would be smoother if you incorporated multi touch (kind of like bladeslingers 2 finger taps and what not) maybe I'm just not that good at the game but I find it hard to know exactly what I'm doing in the combat sections.
    Looking forward to what comes next! Keep it up

11. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to give you a head's up, but we're being forced to reduce the price of Spiral Episode 1 temporarily.

Unfortunately, we're just not selling anywhere near enough (not to mention having about a 75% piracy rate). :(

I don't know if slow press coverage or just being released the same week as the likes of XCOM and Icebreakers is to blame.

Don't worry about episodes 2 or 3, we have agreements in place to do them, but obviously it would make out lives easier if we could get episode 1 to sell as well.

Apologies to those who have supported us by buying it full price :(

12. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    That sucks to hear-- for you all, I mean. I'm not mad that the price will be lowered, but I am mad that piracy has caused it.

Hopefully you can rebound with the sale, because otherwise the core gaming niche on ios will have taken another unfortunate and undeserved blow.

Good luck!

13. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    No problem here with the price lowering. I hope sales will get better.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damnit that sucks... have you guys talked about putting in a block (kind of like Kemco does with their games - making a boss IMPOSSIBLE to beat if the game is stolen) for pirated copies?

15. Benni_

Benni_ Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Designer
    It was always a consideration for us and we spoke at length with our tech director about limiting piracy. However there's a limit to how much we're capable of controlling on the app side of things.

Certain games are more conducive to this than others but we took the precautions we were able to for this episode. Perhaps we'll be a bit more successful with this in the future.

Cheers for your responses on our decision to lower the price guys. It wasn't an easy decision by any means and we were worried about how those of you had already supported us would react. Thankfully you're a lovely bunch of people so it reinforces our change of strategy somewhat. Fingers crossed for better sales over the coming weeks.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh noes. Sorry to hear about the piracy guys. Im sure it happens everytime, but I was hoping it would still get some exposure and some decent sale numbers.

I hope the price drop helps out. The game was totally worth the full price to me and not mad about the drop. In fact, I played the pre-release version, and still bought the game when it came out.

17. Zentatsu

Zentatsu Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Philippines
    Ohhh.. I can't believe toca builder's and where's is mickey is this week editor choice and not this one (this one and xcom is my pick), plus not included to new and noteworthy. I know it's kinda offtopic but being in editor choice and new and noteworthy section will boost some audience and sales, I guess.

Anyways, Wish you all the luck and Thanks for this great game. I'll be watching you guys! :)

18. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Nader episode 2 & 3 will be IAPs or another app?
    Please make them IAPs.It will make the whole game to be in my iPhone otherwise I have to delete the earlier one!
    Thanks!

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #279 Vovin, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

Yeah, you can also use a block to stop the bloody pirates from playing because he can't enter a certain area anymore. There are a lots of possibilities. Or talk to the Across age dev(s). They used the block feature successfully in that game. Block should trigger about 30-45 minutes of playing time.

20. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    #280 Pocketnova, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Ahhh, screw you, pirates. Sucks to see a price drop... :(

Edit: Looks like the mods got me :p couldn't remember if that was against the rules. Sorry for the extra work