Universal Spiral Episode 1 - (by Pixel Hero Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I wish I could man, really. I'll get soon a higher device. Thanks.

Thanks man, I didn't know there is a levelling up system. Damn I want this game.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You have multiple stats that go up depending how you play (defend more to level up defense, attack more to level up range-specific attacks, etc), but there is an option to "turn off" levelling of any number of stats so all level up points can be funneled into specializing on specific tasks faster.

For each stat, there are skills to unlock as you level them up, which changes and evolves battles for you which is what makes this battle system pretty deep and totally fun.

3. anwar79

anwar79 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I've noticed that loading takes really - really long. Sometimes 1.5 minutes on an iPod Touch 5.

On my iPhone 5 it loads in about 20 secs but eats my battery really fast and makes the phone very hot.

From a gameplay perspective I find the traveling a nuisance and does nothing for the game. You keep traveling to different sectors only to go other places. I don't see the point. The other NPC does nothing in the game. Even the main characters do nothing of interest and just stand around.

The combat is the only redeeming part of the game thus far.

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Yeah, I hope the exploration will get better with some updates. The city is huge, but it's a pity that there aren't secondary missions, shops and such.

5. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Secondary missions, shops and the like are something we want to have for episode 2 :)

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Nice! So, it will be IAP or a new game? IMO IAP would be better.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1 to that.

I dont want to have 3 or 5 separate apps just for 1 game. And im wont be bothered much by having the size of 5 apps in one, because i know that this game is totally worth it.

8. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    A little help please

Can some one please give me a tip or two, I just started the game & I'm trying to talk to one of the guards.but whenever I try to talk to one of the guards the camera angle shifts & I'm facing the opposite direction after numerous attempts I just gave up and closed the app.thanks for any help.

9. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    If the camera angle shifts like that, it's probably because the game thinks you are tapping something else, not the guard. is there an object in the way you might be tapping the collision of?

10. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #190 philodygmn, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    To respond to a smattering of criticisms here:

• the game is thin between battles/cut-scenes, it's true, but remember this was created by just 7 individuals, their first game in a brand new IP, and costs just a few bucks with an elegant combat system specifically created for Apple's multi-touch iOS. We need more of exactly this sort of top-tier innovation.
    • load time for Infinity Blade II, another Unreal Engine game, is no better on my 5th-gen Touch, has nothing to do with this game as any flaw of its creators'
    • character designs are Euro-centric, but complaining they're not The World Ends with You seems ridiculous to me given Tempus' blue hairdo is so much like Cloud's blond one from FFVII. I personally hate steampunk and Bioshock, but love this game nonetheless. Get over yourselves, a little. I'm glad to be without the self-immolating Goth petulance of Squeenix and its ilk, thank you.
    • those wanting D-pad need to appreciate how much less versatile and capable their moveset will become e.g. the Pull move: how do you think you'll like tearing your fingertips off the D-pad to execute a Pull let alone then an accurate Push and jump them back to the freakin' pad to actually damage them...?! It's just so much better, cleaner, more versatile the way they've done it. The unobtrusive battle rings with different colors are an awesome way to help you manage.

I do think combat would benefit by allowing tap-and-hold anywhere there's no enemy to charge Tempus' Blast because when there's a bunch of enemies surrounding him, it can be hard to miss the enemies which will attack them instead, so all you need to do is claim the rest of the screen for tap-and-hold gestures for Tempus.

The movement reticle would work better _outside of battles_ if it were its own origin point. Right now you can't even hold still with it ready to move. I hate that >:) Especially the sneaking sequence around the police toward the end of the game, that would have gone so much smoother if I could tap or double-tap-and-hold, keep my finger still, then move when I'm ready in exactly the direction I want. It would save the inefficiencies of auto-path generation from double-tapping on a destination, and from the double-tap-and-hold's reticle activation delay muddying my timing. It's not that it was that hard, but that it would feel much better. Same with movement generally: I want my moves on-screen to be directly under Tempus. This would also make leaving a corner no longer a chore, because as it is, there's too little room between him and where the game registers floor space on-screen for the distance from Tempus to the reticle to actually _move_ him!

I am occasionally experiencing some hilarious bugs where people float, Tempus disappears but for his shadow and blue energy stuff...nothing too serious, except the trains at the end, if I have tapped too far out the door the troops never actually cross the bridge to your train, like it is scripted not to expect your target location past a certain point and hangs the motion script if it is...everything else kept going, the music, the background, the looping character wait-states, they just never travelled across the bridge LOL Exiting to the main menu then going back in it happened a couple times because I forgot to use the reticle to get out the door. That's the _only_ time _any_thing like that happened, though.

Devs, please go hog-wild with battle special attacks in future. For example, I'd like a ranged attack of blue-energy bullet-time -style bullets with heat-warping visual effects and which damage everyone in their path. Weave the camera in and out amongst the enemies as they're being hit, that could be really cinematic. All kinds of stuff like that...

11. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    #191 Nader, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks for reporting that, we'll check it out!

Also the tap and hold in combat for the rest of the screen you suggest would mean losing the nice movement you can have by using it to have tempus run and follow your finger. That said i do think his touch collision could use beefing up on phone.. sometimes the game thinks i'm not touching him when I really want to.

We are listening to everyone's feedback, and putting together a nice list of stuff (nothing seems too huge at the moment). So we'll be trying to address as much as we can! :)

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Who complained about characters design? o_O

13. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #193 philodygmn, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Nuh-uh, 'cause within the reticle is[would be] dead space so as soon as you leave that circle, he'll move just like now. The main thing is treat the reticle on-screen like the screen itself is on the ground, so I move up out of the circle, Tempus moves forward... Make sense? ...no matter where I instantiate the reticle, down from it is always directly back for Tempus..

14. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Couple pages back..

15. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Also, about the smattering of complaints...

While it is super awesome seeing you guys stick up for us, it's not these people's job to know it's 7 people who made this. People who go to the app store certainly won't! They'll just be buying a product they (and we) hope they will enjoy.

But if the consumer isn't happy for whatever reason, we just have to take it on the chin, and if it's something that can be changed easily, without affecting the spirit of the game we'll look into it. :)

On the plus side, so much of the feedback on here has been so overwhelmingly positive and kind. It's really made the effort the team has put into everything worth it, so thanks!

16. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    PM'd you a while back, wondering if you've received it.

17. Nader

Nader Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Sorry about that, I have replied ;)

18. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Finished Episode 1! Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I think I've already said how much I love how polished it is (except for the sound part ;) ).

I would also be a fervent supporter of downloading the second episode through iAP rather than a separate app!

Great job guys :)!

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh God, no! After spending 4 days continuously trying to download Episodes 2 to 5 of The Walking Dead, I abso-frickin'-lutely refuse to go through that torture again!

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... i recently re-downloaded all episodes in 2 days and it wasnt that bad. :D