iPad spin or galcon?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by SLDROFHLA, Nov 5, 2008.

1. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    which one is better?

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Good question. Myself, I'm wondering if I should get Galcon or Trism.

As far as Sp!n is concerned, it's fun. However, I didn't play it very often. But don't think that it's boring because of what I'm saying because I only recently got my iPod Touch so there are MANY games trying to get my attention (SMB, Subway Shuffle, Enigmo, etc.)

Anyway, if someone can compare Galcon and Sp!n, maybe he/she can share some thoughts about Trism as well. :)

3. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    To answer both your questions - buy Galcon. It's easily one of the best iPhone games out there right now. The core gameplay is simple, deep, and addicting. Although the single-player is fun enough by itself, with several levels of difficulty to challenge you, the real value in this game comes from the multiplayer. With a wi-fi connection, it's really a cinch to get online and play against other people. Furthermore, if you make an account, the game will track your matches, and you can check your rank on the website. Really cool stuff.

To be honest, I found Trism disappointing. It struck me as a slightly-inferior Bejeweled clone (not that I've tried the iPhone version of Bejeweled). I suppose if you're really into puzzle games, it could be worth a shot. However, you might wanna bear in mind that you can find dozens of puzzle games for the iPhone for cheaper, or even free, and I don't really see how Trism differentiates itself from the back (it may have just been one of the first polished puzzle games on the app store when it was launched).

I've actually found Spin to be a pretty neat game. It's very polished - the graphics are psychedelic, and the soundtrack will get your heart racing with the frantic pace of the game. It's a game that I feel has been well-designed to fit the iPhone's touch screen, and with 100 or so levels, it'll keep you busy for a while.

4. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    That's what I was afraid of. Maybe it was a must have earlier in the summer but not any more now in November.

agreed! I will probably come back to this game later on and get hours of fun out of it. Because once you start playing, it IS hard to put down!

Re: Galcon - I see all your points and I'm close to being convinced. The games in the Lite version just seem so short. Do some multiplayer (or other single player mode) games take longer? (like 1.5 to 2x as long) right now, I feel like it's very hard to change the direction of the game once one if the players is leading.

Thanks for your reply!

5. SLDROFHLA

Oct 23, 2008
    Thanks, I might get it, not sure, spin looks really fun, and I like Galcon lite but am not addicted. Is it really THAT much better?

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Spin!!
    It's so fun and polished and all the reviews are positive too.
    well, if you like the free Galcon lite, get it. If you don't, get Spin.

7. mgondek

mgondek Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I like Galcon but it isn't the best game ever. That just really is not my cup of tea. I just got starwars and love it. It sucks the game is so short.

8. SLDROFHLA

Oct 23, 2008
    Galcon just seems so simple, I don't know how the multiplayer makes it better

9. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    my thoughts exactly. With Sp!n the gsmeplay remains the same but you progress though 100 levels so a game can take quite some bit of time.

Short games aren't bad but they must be interesting enough.
    Do the extra 1p modes enhance the game?
    I'm pretty convinced that playing online against toucharcade members does so I'm not worried about that.

10. SLDROFHLA

Oct 23, 2008
    Yeah, I just don't know whats so different about playing against real people vs the computer. spin looks fun though

11. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    Hmm, it's hard for me to choose between Galcon, Spin and Trism because they are all completely different from each other. If you're looking for a longer game, I would go with Trism or Spin because they can last quite long and each have different game modes. Galcon is good for a quick short game. I have only gone online a few times to play that version of Galcon and I didn't really like it. It seemed like everytime I played I lost, by a lot! Honestly, I can say I probably like Trism the best and have played it more than the others. I like that it's different from Bejeweled because the accelerometer is used a lot in it. It can make or break your game. I feel like it is a great fit with the iPhone. Anyway, just a few thoughts from my game playing days :)

12. McChikun

Oct 26, 2008
    Well, I guess if you're not a big fan of the core game, the online multiplayer won't make *that* big of a difference for you. However, I probably wouldn't still be playing the game if it didn't have an online mode.

I've also found the games against the computer to be relatively quick - you either win or you don't. The computers are more or less predictable after a while. However, with the online mode, you're playing against actual people, and the games can range from extremely short to pretty long. With human players, you can end up with games lasting five minutes or more, because a) you can (and usually do) have four player in a game, and b) human players have a higher tendency towards stockpiling units and/or counterbalancing another player.

I dunno, I feel that the multiplayer really adds to the game because it's just a lot of fun to quickly and easily pop online for a few games. The game will tally up your wins against the other players between each match, and you can check your rank online. It's the only iPhone game that I've played that has this level of online polish (Parallel Kingdoms is a disaster!). I'd still recommend Galcon, but Spin's a great game to recommend too.

13. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    fpugirl made me doubt but then McChickun took the doubt away again. Going to play Sp!n for a few minutes and then go to sleep (it's 10 min. after midnight here). It's better to purchase a game when you have a full day ahead to play it during the breaks! (and maybe a post in the next few hours will make me change my mind again :p)

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    btw, I must admit I got addicted to Galcon. I couldn't put it down for the first 2 days. Then I got quite busy at work and once I put it down I've never come back. I dont know, maybe I just get bored.

15. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I hate it when that happens! I've got that whit a lot of thing, books, games... It's a sad thing when life gets too busy for entertainment! ;)

16. McChikun

Oct 26, 2008
    I think it might be easy to get discouraged from Galcon's multiplayer if you hop right in without having learned the ropes against the computer. I was discouraged when I first started playing against other people, because I kept losing, and I kept losing *fast*, so I went and played against the computer, raising the difficulty each time I won. By the time I reached the last few levels, I was ready to try online multiplayer again, and I've gotta say, it's been a much more rewarding experience since then. I've won my fair share of battles, and even those I've lost have often been good matches.

17. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    #17 spmwinkel, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    Purchasing Galcon now. Let's see how much work I get done with this game sitting on my iPod Touch...

Thanks guys and girl(s) for the comments. :cool:

SLDROFHLA - Have you decided already?