Universal SpikeDislike3 [by James Gamble/AGameAWeek]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jayenkai, Jun 22, 2015.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hooked-----

Take that as my one word description. Especially coming from a new player who's not keen the whole ball+spike+ 1000 death= iOS hit game equation, I'd call it a high compliment!

2. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I was feeling pretty good about my 3000+ points on the first endless level and thought to myself, "I bet Andy C83 would be really good at this game." Checked GC and sure enough, Andy's score is unsurprisingly incredible. I highly recommend this game to the high score chasers and endless runner/bouncer/avoider fans out there.

3. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Thanks Guise. :) I like the game a lot. I'm enjoying the new level structure with different goals keeping things fresh and I look forwarding to checking out all the themes. Thanks Jayenkai. :)

4. Jayenkai

Jayenkai Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    Blimey!! That's.. Wow!!
    Well done!!!

5. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    Update progress report : 50%'ish
    I've now got 4 new themes up and running, although I'll obviously be neatening them up over the next few days.
    I need to add some new gameplay features for the new themes, and work out what sort of challenges they'll be bringing, but for the most part it's coming together fairly smoothly.
    New options are in play, so all should be working fairly nicely by the time the update gets into your hands.

Estimated Update Release : Mid July.. I think!!

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I just watched his YouTube vid a few minutes ago and was fired up! So I played some more of the endless mode and finished up some more levels. Great game!

7. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=263596][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264829][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264951][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264748][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264831][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264504][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264675][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264949][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264793][​IMG][/thread] [thread=264856][​IMG][/thread]

SpikeDislike3

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

June 25th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo

8. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    Awesome, thanks for the nomination!

9. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    The update is out!
    I was so excited about the new features that I thought you added an unlock all levels option. Unfortunately, it was lock all levels which I guess resets all of the progress. So now I'm back at the beginning. This sucks. #

10. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    LOL! You poor thing..
    Tap the following levels in order.

--> 37, 17, 16, 50

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Cool trick! Thanks!!!!!!!#

12. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    #32 Jayenkai, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    SpikeDislike3 v1.5 is now available!

[​IMG]

New features
    . Nice options menu, to make things a little less.. Texty!
    . Portrait mode. Hold your phone like a phone, and pretend you're doing something really important!
    . Parallax Switch. Don't like how all the motion makes you want to vomit? Turn it off in the options menu!
    . Music Loop. If you're having a particularly lengthy game, the music would stop. Now you can get it to loop!

Five New Themes (and 50 new levels!)
    . Enjoy the wonderful nostalgic styling so far the recreated Basketball theme, along with a black and white theme, and an overly colourful one!
    . New challenges await, with crazy new gameplay elements.

[​IMG]

v1.5 is now available in the AppStore!

\o/yeay\o/

13. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great update, great game.

14. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

15. Jamie84303

Jamie84303 Active Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Now That's What I Call an Update!

It has been great fun playing through the additional 50 levels, with five new themes today and interesting trying SD3's extra options out.

I'm still feeling the original settings, but choice is nice and perhaps a necessity for those poor Parallax sufferers.

Good to see the old favourite basketball theme make a return and just when you thought those Spikes couldn't get any more meaner and deadlier, they become sneaky and cunning!

I have some feedback for you Mr. Gamble, and a query;

There's some screen-tearing(?) occurring in levels 181-190. Exclusive to landscape mode it appears and only on my iPhone 4S running iOS 8.4, so, old device problem maybe? Looks fine on my iPad Air (iOS 7.X.)

Finally, quick retry. Is it not meant to work in Infinite levels?

Thank you!

16. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    Wow, screen tearing? Dang. Must be a teensy bit too much for it, with all that fuzzy-felt style detail.

The game was tested on an iPod Touch 5th Gen, and I thought that was the lowest spec that could run it. Does that mean iPhone4S is lower spec? Or maybe the iPhone's got more going on in the background than the iPod does?
    Hmm..
    I should be able to scale that theme back a teensy bit, less trees, a few less clouds. Shouldn't be too hard.
    Thanks for letting me know!!

As for the "quick retry" thing.
    I've just realised that the option menu says "return to menu".. Nobody's going to tap that,are they! I need to find another way to word that!!
    Anyway, yeah, the quick retry doesn't work on Infinity/Endless levels.
    I still feel strongly that if you can insta-restart an Endless game, then it'll rile you up a little bit faster.
    The way it's set up, the game forces a 1.5 second "breather" between each session. If you tap quick enough, that's as long as it takes. It isn't a horrific waiting time, but it gives you that moment to breath before restarting the level for the umpteenth time.

If you can go "smash <swear> *sigh*" it's less stressful than "smash AGAIN! Smash AGAIN!! Smash RAWR!!!"

Feel free to argue..

17. Jamie84303

Jamie84303 Active Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Not arguing, I guess even The Hulk needs a breather :)

Ah, okay. Thanks for the prompt reply and heads up.

I just tried playing level 190 again with no apps running in the background and toggled Airplane Mode on to see if that made a difference. It still happens. I'm overdue an upgrade and plan to soon as funds are willing. It's no big deal, but seen as I mentioned it, thought I'd post a screenshot to show you what I'm seeing. It's much more noticeable when moving, but simultaneously capturing a screenshot is rather difficult, lol.

Attached Files:

18. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    Having looked into it, indeed the 4S is running slightly slower than iPod Touch 5th gen, so apologies that my over doing things has issues ;)

4S is 800 MHz, whilst iPod 5th is 1000 MHz.

I'll just have to scale back a teensy bit.
    Sorry!!
    Update will probably have to wait a bit, though. I have many new things planned.. Mmmmm....

19. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    As a special treat, I've uploaded the "Precarious" album to Archive.org.
    Here, you'll find a LOT of the music used in SpikeDislike3, alongside a few unheard tracks, and some that I'll probably make use of elsewhere!

They're all available in nice high quality steams, or even downloadable as lossless was files, should you need such epic ness in your ears.

Enjoy! And dislike the spikes!!

20. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    [​IMG]

Merry xmas, from Spike and all his friends.
    I had hoped that popularity, sales and momentum might've helped me carry on with this project, but a lack of ...anything..has pretty much killed my motivation, which is a shame, really, because this game's engine is fantastically full featured.
    Oh well, never mind. Can't win 'em all, eh!?
    Thanks to all the people who did enjoy the game, and hopefully next year I can come up with a nice collection of games that everyone will enjoy.

See you next year!
    And have a happy holiday!