GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Who's shilling? The devs all admit to being devs and as far as I know the rest of us are... well, nobodies. I see no foul play.

2. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yeah, all those obsessed Minigore kids are too busy hanging out in the "Minigore Episode 2 Waiting Room" to notice that a great game has just been released. But, then again, it's not 99-cents so they probably wouldn't be interested anyway...
    :rolleyes:

3. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009

I checked the reviews. Those are not good example of shills. I don't even think they are shills but I could be wrong. Anyways don't even talk about shilling some crybaby will censor your post because he thinks shilling is somehow ok or those who point it out on are some kind of witch hunt for stumbling upon and reading.

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh if he meant iTunes reviews then maybe... I thought he meant in this topic. I don't even read the crap on iTunes anyway. 95% of the users on there are morons.

5. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    If you look at the reviewers, they actually appear legit in this case. They buy other games from other developers for one thing.

6. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    I just want to say thanks to Albie and JanB for spot-on reviews of this great game. I was originally waiting for a video, and i did watch it (thanks for that MidianGTX), but your reviews are what sold me on what turned out to be one of the best games i own for my iPhone.

And to Randy Smith (and everyone else who contributed to this masterpiece), I just wanna say GREAT JOB!! I'm just getting started with "Spider", but I can't put it down, and i'm looking forward to what future updates will offer.

My opinion: 5 stars of leaping, web-slinging, bug-devouring awesome-ness.

Highly recommended

7. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #87 Dark NRG, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    @Midian and Freedog: it was a combo of iTunes, that magic "first 5 votes for 5 stars", and some of the overlty generous comments by certain ppl here the first 3 pages. Sorry JanB, but yeah, even the Dev wrote that it seemed a little over the top, and I like JanB! That was a LOT of praise (from a few ppl) for something unknown or played(except JanB), compared to the balance in debate in threads I'm used to seeing. As far I'm concerned, when certain members like Albie, DevilyGood, Prab, or dare I even say it, Hodapp (does not include Enviro Bear), vouge for a game that has on pedigree, or video, I get suspicious. But, hey, "viral", go for it. At least the Devs came to TA, unlike a lot of other Devs. We're still waiting for Spawn/Genesis devs to show up in another thread;)

This game is pretty unique I guess. It's the artwork I really like. Don't have the foggiest why they didn't put a spider on their website. Wish a spider or video was hidden while clicking thru all those pages of tigers, that would of been cool. Gonna go play more of it now, then toss it to my GF, the ultimate judge.

She don't like spiders none, so if she likes it, it's gold. LOL
    Meanwhile, gonna censor myself now:rolleyes:

Correction: "As far I'm concerned, "UNLESS" certain members like Albie, DevilyGood, Prab, or dare I even say it, Hodapp (does not include Enviro Bear), vouge for a game that has "NO" pedigree, or video, I get suspicious.
    Anyhow, GF loves it <<wiping egg off face and hittin bed>>

8. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    I'm seeing now that possibly the only thing wrong with this game is the fact that there's not enough of it. This has become my fav iPhone game in the span of a few minutes. It's downright AMAZING! PLays fantastic, looks awesome. And it's probably just me, but that little spider is downright endearing. Put a proper story around him and I'll be floored. Add-on now, please.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Tell me about it, I'm dreading getting to the end.

10. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    This app needs no shill reviews; simply one of the finest out there. Every last piece of this has been beautifully crafted - it's an absolute masterpiece.

As already stated, the only negative is that it has to end. I'd love to hear that there'll be more levels available in the future; I'm sure sales will be promising enough to motivate the developers to do this ;-)

Jamie.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Seriously, I'm pretty impressed with this game... I'm surprised they're selling it so cheap, as this would easily be a $10 game on XBLA. Spider really stands out from the pack with an innovative game idea, really slick controls, awesome art, and music that fits the game perfectly.

My favorite thing about this game is how there is absolutely no fluff between launching the game and playing. So many developers of mobile games seem to forget that these games are generally meant to be played for a few minutes at a time. All the time I have to spend watching splash screens, intro movies, and navigating through menus is time lost that I could be playing the game.

The way the game loads directly in to the playable game without any screwing around is so remarkably elegant that I really hope other developers looking for inspiration for their own projects take note.

12. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Couldn't have said it better meself...

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I hope the devs are happy with all the love this game is getting.

14. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, it's past 4 in the morning, and we're still here reading it and IMing each other about it, so, yeah, it's pretty rad. :)

Also still collaborating with the video folks on the trailer, since we've been appropriately schooled and spanked for not having that together. :(

Thanks!!!

15. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEk®
    washington
    Had to get it after seeing the front page video. And it indeed draws you in, I'm quite a few levels deep but I have a question, is there a way to get back to the main menu from within a level? I see the pause menu but no option to go back. The game does resume where I left off but still no way to get back to the main menu.

16. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    After watchIng the video... I have to say this looks very unique and very interesting. Three dollars isn't that bad. Downloading right now.

17. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    The pause menu is our main menu. You can also hit "New Game" to switch game mode, or "Settings" to change your name and log in to Facebook Connect and so forth.

18. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEk®
    washington
    Ah okay thanks, I was looking to switch to a new game mode.

19. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Wow! I thought the video was impressive but after downloading and playing it out, this game is even more amazing. The game is beautifully drawn and the gameplay is very unique. Everything is great, except for the music.. Don't like it for some reason. Pure awesomeness :)

20. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #100 Dark NRG, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Correction: last msg should of read, "As far I'm concerned, "UNLESS" certain members like Albie, DevilyGood, Prab, or dare I even say it, Hodapp (does not include Enviro Bear), vouge for a game that has "NO" pedigree, or video, I get suspicious..."
    sorry about that :(
    Glad to hear the devs chime in!

Anyhow, GF loves it <<wiping egg off face and hittin bed>>
    (hope she lets me play Lion Pride....)