GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    It was very moving. I have some good friends from PR although they are all in the US now - they were born there and joined US military and now live here. Great food!!

Sorry - off topic..

2. lafuria

lafuria Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I was not expecting this to be this good..

3. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    I like flying all kamikaze into the bees.

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Review: Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor an intelligent masterpiece

Spiders are considered the architects of the nature world, but not many of us would find them very appealing...until now. Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor is not only unique in that you play as an arachnid, but it’s an intelligent game because it brings out the creativity in each of us. This is the type of game that doesn’t pigeonhole you into one solution, but instead creates a journey where the solution is a matter of perception.

With Spider, you embark on a journey through Bryce Manor where initially the task at hand is staying alive by trapping and sucking the life out of bugs throughout various everyday rooms and environments from the front porch and the dining room to the basement and the plumbing.

Playing a spider doesn’t sound that much fun until you realize that the devs have created something special most notably in the controls. In this game, you get a pretty clear idea of a spider’s life, and that’s quite the accomplishment. The controls utilize every aspect of the iPhone/iPod Touch platform, making spider movements fluid. While walking and jumping are straightforward, it’s the web spinning that really sets this game apart. You simply tap the spider, and swipe to create a thread, and as long as a geometric shape is created, a web will form. These webs can be created anywhere in any design as long as there is an anchor. I literally created rooms full of spider webs even after the portal opened just because I could.

Each of the rooms has bugs, and the point of the webs is to capture bugs so you can feed. Sometimes it’s easier said than done in terms of capturing them, keeping in mind that silk is limited, and you’ll die if you can’t curb your hunger in time. Of course, capturing hornets is a whole other story, but let’s just say that the traditional web won’t cut it. The environments are beautifully rendered and look like everyday lived-in places with family pictures, clothing hanging on racks to a dirty kitchen. Eat enough bugs and build enough webs, and a portal opens to the next room. But, wait a minute, soon you notice that even a lived-in place has some type of order to it, and from the looks of things, the residents left in a hurray many eons ago. Why? You get the opportunity to that figure out, and that’s really where the fun continues because soon you unlock family secrets hidden in the deepest recesses of the manor.

The exploration part of the game with the responsive control mechanics by itself would make this a full-featured, highly rated game. But the devs went one step above that and created a smarter game with a mystery is gradually revealed. This is easily one of the most innovative games I’ve come across in all aspects from the storyline and visuals to the controls mechanics and ultimate payoff.

Spider has several modes of play: Adventure, Feeding Frenzy, Hunger, and Precision. Adventure is the storyline and one that needs to be played in its entirety. As each of the 28 levels is cleared, a time is provided along with number of bugs eaten. A minor issue is that you cannot go back to previously completed levels, which would be ideal if you want to capture all the bugs, improve your time, or just practice web spinning. The other modes really tend to be more mini-game modes. Feeding Frenzy provides 3 minutes to see how many bugs you can eat. Hunger forces you to eat as continuously as possible before the hunger meter drains. Precision limits the spider to less silk and shorter threads. In terms of scoring, bugs equal points, and if you manage to move from cobweb to cobweb, you activate a multiplier effect.

The game also has a set of 24 Webspinner achievements which provide awards for # of webs created, bug combos, web design (not the ones on the Internet), finding secret rooms, various other milestones for the other game modes, and for discovering the Bryce Manor secrets among others. Additional features include an online scoreboard and local lifetime statistics page showing things including total of bugs eaten and webs created.

I always say that controls play a huge part in making or breaking a game. In Spider, the controls make this game and then some. Moving around and doing what a spider is supposed to do for lack of a better term feels natural. I never thought playing the part of a spider doing everyday things with a mystery thrown in would be this entertaining, and Spider pulls it off.

Spider delivers a rewarding experience that doesn’t insult a player’s intelligence. Your creativity is only limited by your imagination and of course keeping your spider fed. I highly recommend this terrific experience of a game.

Albie Meter: 5 Stars (the spider control mechanics are top notch with a challenging premise; intelligent gameplay that should set itself apart from the rest of the pack; devs talent and creativity is obvious)

5. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Great, now I have to go to the store and pick up another card.

6. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    A little too late BA, i deem this useless as i already bought it:p, though i agree with you:D

7. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    It happens...:rolleyes:

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Skyye06 -It's not like BA didn't tell us earlier to just get it...

9. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #69 AttackOfThePwned, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Ok that is it, I am skipping Duke and getting this. It looks so very interesting. Gives me the feeling of when Blimp was a pleasant surprise.

10. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Yea i know i was just messing around

11. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I have to say that I played around with Duke, and the controls take a lot of tweaking to get them to work, and even then, they don't work well.

12. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Damn albie you just had to post your review and shadow mine huh! haha kidding. great review like always!

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Couldn't agree more with Albie's review, this game just gets better and better. Even when you least expect it a small added touch can make you smile, my favourite example being the realization of just how frustrating a slippery bathtub can be to a spider.

...and Albie's review leads me to my first comment for update ideas (although he basically asked for it with the review): a level select. It'd also be nice if we could unlock an infinite web option as a reward (unless it's already in the game of course), because just jumping about the rooms is such a joy on it's own I feel the game would benefit from a "free roam/sandbox" kind of option.

Another idea I had (although I can't think of how it would benefit the gameplay other than being amusing) was the ability to hang from a web. I figured the controls could work by tapping the spider to set the anchor, then holding your finger in place and dragging away from the spider with a second finger, to slowly lower it down the web. Then you could hang there, or even swing about a bit like the REAL Spider-Man :) Of course, it's probably more of a novelty than something really useful but as I said, this game is fun even without the objectives, so anything that added to the simulation of being a real spider would be a bonus in my book.

14. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Hanging from the web would be a great idea, and maybe it's to snag a yet to be introduced bug. Right now, you have to use different tactics with different bugs. Why not make one of them hanging from the ceiling.

15. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    good games like this just pop out of nowhere while games like minigore get talked about for 5 months straight before release. I didn't hear not one thing about this game until today.

16. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    but now you know...and knowing is half the battle:p

17. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    We apologize for popping from out of nowhere. Next time we'll attempt a better PR campaign! Better to exceed your expectations than not live up to them, though, right? :)

18. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    no I actually like it this way better. Thats all we need is another minigore crowd acting up again. Then the wait becomes painful.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I quite like this way to be honest. I'm sure it's better for the devs to start building a hype machine prior to release, but as gamers we get a lot of them... so a surprise is nice once in a while, and I've had two today :)

...Lunarcy being the other one.

20. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #80 Dark NRG, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    I seem to be a lone voice on some things in this thread:
    -lots of good games came out the last few days. I think this should be 1.99 tops.
    -is a lite version coming out?
    -I don't like shill, and boy,is it ever here.
    -for being "perfectionists", there shoulda been a video already done. 9 days in the valley is pretty norm... what were you doing all that time being "full time devs"?
    -The game is beautiful, the site was interesting, but should of been done, especially considering you guys are experienced in this industry. And clean up the fingerprint smudges on the blue ink tiger, looks highschoolish. The fact I kept jumping around it the site gave it a mystery feel, which I liked. But if it was "just no time to finish", kinda kills the adventure.
    -Thanks to the vid posted finally by a member, I stuck around.
    -thanks to Albies review, it's downloading now.

Update: ok, I splurged, and it's really cool. Get the other stuff straight and do updates, and you guys will pwn the 8lb Girlilla. As I wrote extensively here about "I DIG", which I bot at 2.99 mind you bc of pressure from Hodapp ;) I still suggest droppin the price "soon" to get a foothold in the app store. imo