GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Bro just buy it, trust me. itll be the best purchase youve ever made.

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Review coming shortly, but the game is definitely worth it if you're on the fence.

3. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    #43 russiaone, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Bought it. After just moving around the first little area I can already see it's super intuitive, gorgeous, and sounds fantastic. I think even if this were a demo it would be worth SOMETHING! In love already.

Gotta also add that this feels like Ralph S. Mouse, the Beverly Cleary adventure... Anyone?

4. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Albie I hate you, now im broke.:mad:

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah... video's not coming. Thank the internet for being a total ****.

6. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Well guys from what I played this game is something special. It brings to the table something so masterful that you cant even grasp it while playing. I might be a little awe struck writting this review, please forgive me, but the tantamount success of this game is too much to withstand.

Spider is a game of motion, nature, hunt and beauty. You are a lone arachnid on the hunt for suppliment, but in the way to your enrichment you stumble upon a secret so mysterious that time itself forgot. During your exploits you will unravel this lost tale, in the midsts of incredible gameplay mechanics and beautiful hand drawn backrounds that all come together with a fluidity that will overwhelm any gamer. But what would be this work of art withouts its principal element: music. The soundtrack on this title is elegant and sophisticated which in turn adds to the overall atmosphere of the game. I could set this game up with such masterpieces as: Okami and Shadow of the Colossus. Both were reknown for their originality and beauty, so in terms im claiming that this game is the first of its kind on the Iphone. It is truly a MASTERPIECE.

In short: Spider is a must get for all Iphone gamers, its like poetry in motion, there is not a stitch nor a syllable out of place, it all comes together harmoniously. Nonetheless it is a marvel and a gem of a game with fun and original gameplay mechanics to keep you hooked in deep.

Ill give this game my highest score: 4/40 which means perfect tuning in the music world.

Hoped you liked my attempt at a review.

JanB

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Alright my internet decided to work, here's the video. My camera kept going out of focus whenever my finger got in the way, but I think it turned out alright.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Edit: Sorry, I was a moron. Didn't read the entire post :p

9. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    wow great vid, that really explains the gameplay mechanics

10. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    thanks!

Hi all,

I'm Randy from Tiger Style, and I was the "designer" and "director" of Spider. Those are in quotes because we had a large, professional, and talented team, so I don't want to take all the credit for a big, creative group effort.

It's been really encouraging and uplifting to read the feedback from this forum today... We know you are a discerning and a demanding bunch of game players and critics, and we are incredibly delighted that you agree we've made something worth your time. Hearing that the most dedicated players really appreciate all the passion and attention to detail we put into our game is one of the biggest rewards we can hope for.

David (the other Tiger Style guy on the forums) has been modest, but we have a pretty unique team for the iPhone market. We've been in the games industry for over 10 years apiece, working on AAA titles for the consoles. David was part of the original Splinter Cell team and made the Artificial Intelligence for Deus Ex: Invisible War, among others. Most recently, I worked with Steven Spielberg at Electronic Arts, and prior to that I was the Project Director of Thief: Deadly Shadows. I also write a monthly column for the UK gaming magazine Edge (http://www.edge-online.com/users/randy-smith), and often speak at the Game Developer's Conference (https://www.cmpevents.com/GDAU09/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=9868). Our other team members include indie musicians and artists, along with experienced game developers of all types. It's been an AMAZING team to work with.

Tiger Style believes that iDevices have the capability to change gaming for the better, and our ambition is to help realize that potential. Clones and ports are okay, but let's also create some unique stuff that could only happen on the iPhone!

I do want to apologize for our lack of a trailer video. As we speak, our videographers are working on the latest draft. We're all a bunch of perfectionists, so it's taken longer than expected. Props to Apple for getting us through review in only 9 days! That was great, but now we're scrambling to get together better materials for you guys to preview with! Okay, back to work!!

Many thanks again, and keep the comments, questions, and suggestions coming,
    Randy

11. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    WOW! All that talent. Beautiful freakin' game, guys!!!

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Hey Randy, awesome game. I've still barely scatched the surface but already it stands out as one of the more artistic and unique games on the iPhone. I hope this game gets the hype it deserves, because it's one of the relatively few games on the device that really sets a new standard. Less clones, more of this.

I don't think I've played enough to give any comments on what I'd like to see added, but I already know that I want more of it. I'm sure the game's got a good deal of content already, but when it's something special you can never get enough. I suppose it's greed really... oh well!

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have been lurking this thread all evening, and I am with Skyye06 to give something more than "trust me" ala Jack Bauer... Within 15 sec of MidianGTX video I knew I was going to get it, after 1 minute, I was getting it NOW.

The game may be wonderful, but some descriptions are needed more than "trust me" - even from BA - although I think most of us trust him...

I am certainly looking forward to playing this a bit before bed tonight. Looks phenomenal - and the team they have working on it is pretty stupendous I would say.

JanB - your review was very moving. I especially liked the 4/40 part.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    There you go Randy, my video just earned you $2.99. You can thank me later :D

15. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    took me a while to get that:D

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yeah - I am not a pro musician - we amateur types always just say A440... I guess the 4/40 is the way the pros do it - or maybe from another country?

Anyways all good, and again proves that math is the universal language...

17. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Looks like a Great game !

Is this level based?

Does it get progressively harder, more enemies, critters to catch?

Thanks,

Rad

18. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    wow, consider me sold from this day an onward on all your apps!

Btw did you like my review. And what do you guys think on adding that art feature into the game? Are you planning on updates?

19. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Jan, you are embarrassing and worrying us. Are you being facetious? Are you on our team? You're the one who wrote the music, aren't you!?

;) Just kidding, many thanks, and I hope our game continues to bring you half the delight you're expressing here!

- Randy

20. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Wow thanx guys! Glad you liked my review! And yeah im from Puerto Rico, so that might be the case, hehe.