GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Apple is having a hard time pushing updates out across all servers.

It knows there is a new version out and you can see the new info. But the servers you download the files from aren't all updated yet. It's a dirty dirty tease

2. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    The new update is showing up in my 'available downloads' but after it says it downloaded, the icon goes back to old version and the actual game does not get updated. Then it reappears in my available dowloaded section. This update problem has been happening a lot. Hopefully eventually I will get the update dowloaded correctly!

3. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    And unfortunately it has been getting worse. Never did I have a problem downloading app updates up until a few months ago. Since then at certain times, updates just don't want to download properly.

4. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

Yep, it'll clear up in a bit if you hang tight. Try again later tonight and I'm pretty sure everything will be golden.

I just tried downloading it and had the same thing happen -- version 1.0.1 came through. You'll know it's updated when the new icon shows up!

5. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    woo! thanks for getting this out in time for xmas guys, really looking forward to this :D

also getting the update problem, even when synching to itunes, which sometimes resolves the issue.

anyways, this and the c64 update were the only 2 things i was looking forward to. this weeks high profile releases do not interest me in the slightest!

6. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    New icon looks fantastic. Can't wait to play this.

7. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #487 Grubjelly, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    Wow, apparently the guys at Tigerstyle have really upped their game since the pre-1.0 days. Almost a million in Precision just blows my mind - especially considering that Randy said in the TA Spider Leaderboard thread that his best score in Adventure mode had been a not too shabby 430k. Adventure mode scores are currently over 1.5 million, which is inspiring because TS tweeted that he/they "wonder whether 500k [in adventure mode] is even possible."

I'm looking forward to getting a bit cozy with Spider again, and to possibly figuring out how to pick up a few extra points without wasting too much time on making web after 10-sided web. Spider fan or not, that does get old after a while. Even so, Spider ranks up there as among my 5 favorite apps of 2009, and these new levels should be a treat. Thanks Tigerstyle :)

8. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Even though I was unable to download it as of now, I wanted to thank you for the update. Great game, and I'm excited to get back into it. Looking forward to more work from you guys.

9. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    are the new ten levels intergrated into the story mode? or at the end? or in a seperate "Directors Cut" section?

great to hear. and yeah i had problems similar to this with the canabalt update
    about 3 hours later everything was perfect

10. David Tiger

The ten levels are integrated into adventure mode at various points. Most of them are in the second half of the game. If you've finished the game already, you can use the Level Select feature to jump straight to the new levels and check them out -- of course, I'd recommend playing from the start for the full experience :)

11. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    just got the thing updated!

all new tutorial level in the forest so far. i hope the extra levels are added at various intervals throughout the game.

12. David Tiger

Hey Grubjelly,

We actually tweaked the scoring for the update so that combos are worth more and webs are worth a little less. Our original intention with the scoring system was to promote combos as the way to high-scores, not a 10-sided web-only strategy. So we tried to split the difference between the two and make it so that you can compete for high scores by spinning crazy webs OR by maximizing your combos. Or maybe some strategy in between is best?

13. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE ICON?

New one is disgusting! The first icon was perfect. PERFECT.

14. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #494 idrisguitar, Dec 17, 2009
    sounds great, and yes i will be playing through it all again for sure :)

i also have to admit the icon isn't the greatest

the first one was great, this icon is a little more on the sinister side (the black background is what doe sit), which doesn't suit the mood of the game for me. (i dont really care about icons, but when it kind of portrays a signal that doesn't suit the game, especially a game this special, it is a bit of a concern)

15. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #495 Grubjelly, Dec 17, 2009
    The emphasis on web-making imparts a more pacifistic aspect to the strategy, which I think is a good thing for an Adventure mode, considering that you still get to eat plenty of insects. In any case, I'm bound to have fun jumping around in the new rooms.

So far I've tried updating both via wifi direct to the 2nd (OS 3.12) gen itouch, and directly to itunes on the computer, but in each case the new icon gets replaced by the original one as soon as the download is completed. In the first case, the status bar progresses to the end before it revert to the original icon. In the second case, the download is reported as complete, but only the original app icon appears.

I'm attempting to update again. Possibly the servers are overwhelmed to the extent that it's getting aborted right at the very end. No big deal :)

Edit:
    The third attempt at downloading directly to the computer worked. The updated app is now installed.

16. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Wow. So lets say your going to a store to buy Halo 4. You hate the picture on the game case and you don't buy it? STOP COMPLAINING.

17. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #497 Touchgamer3g, Dec 17, 2009
    Yes! I just got the update to download :). I am really loving the new icon!

18. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I hope this gets featured in the Appvent Calendar some time soon.

19. David Tiger

Sorry, not this year. (Or probably ever).

But we will have another free surprise for you guys, coming soon ..

20. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    This is one of my favorite iphone games! This is a real gem among all the clones and "me too" titles in the app store