GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    I missed all that stuff. NOW I must start over. WHAT?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    We were trying to keep all that spoiler stuff away from this thread... there's a topic in the General Game Discussion forum for it.

3. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

We took the footage in the iPhone Simulator using software called iShowU.

I'm not sure how the footage was edited into final, as that was done by a guy named David Kaufmann; you can find his email address at the end of the video if you want to drop him a line and ask about the video.

4. David Tiger

Hey Nervous System,

I noticed your high score last night .. you are far and away the top non-developer player in terms of score. I'm anxious to see you (or somebody) take me down from my #1 spot. I'm pretty sure you'll have to access the secret room to best it, so make sure you know how to do that before going after the top spot. Good luck!

5. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer

SPOILERS, SECRETS, WHAT'S GOIN ON AND WHAT TO DO are kept away from this thread and being discussed here guys: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=21744 :cool:

Hope to see you over there!

6. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    David please tell me there will be an addon in the future or a sequel. This game is pure win. I hope you can do a sequel using the same engine and just some new artwork and pump out another game by christmas or spring at the latest. I always loved Looking Glass games BTW so I am not surprised that this game is done so well. Congrats..:p

7. MetroGnome217

MetroGnome217 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    This game looks very polished and fun to play.
    I wish i could buy it, but I have no money :( .
    Good luck to the dev and i hope that other devs make such high quality games!!

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If the recent interview is anything to go by, we can expect an update containing extra rooms of the house.

9. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tigerstyle:

A little while ago I submitted a score for precision mode to the global leaderboard, but it is not showing up. Only my previous high score shows up.

Please look in to that. I took screenshots of the finished state of ever level in precision and can send them to you if you want proof.

Why won't the leaderboard accept my score?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. David Tiger

We are definitely going to do a free update with additional content and some feature tweaks/additions (e.g., a level select option).

As for sequel, well, I would personally love to work on more Spider and expect that this will not be the last Spider game .. but the Tigers are looking to do something new with Game 2. We'll see!

Continue to let us know what you want to see in the game .. we're reading all of these posts and will be listening to all suggestions!

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While the big epic almost story mode with secrets was cute and all, I love to see more randomized survival modes where you can pick any level you've unlocked so far and just need to keep moving with constantly randomly spawning prey (maybe some fellow predators or something actually hunting our spider) so even if playing on the same level it will always unfold in different ways.

12. David Tiger

#412 David Tiger, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    Hey Lukeb / grubjelly,

I just had a look in the database and I see a bunch of your scores but only 2 from precision mode. I can look into this a little bit more.

Did you maybe disable score submission in the Options? Check where it says "Upload Scores" and make sure that it is set to "Ask" .. if it is set, the game should always prompt you to upload the score after receiving the score.

Now, if your internet connection was bad or our server was overloaded or something, the game should know that the score failed to submit and hold onto it for future submission. If you exit and re-enter the leaderboard dialog ("high scores" from the menu) it will then try to submit un-submitted scores.

Of course, it is possible that there is a bug we don't know about.

Write me an email at david (at) tigerstylegames (dot) com and I can follow up with you offline.

13. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I'm almost talked in it , now where did hubby hide my credit card??

14. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I now understand what happened. Because my battery was only around 25% when I started playing that particular game of precision, I turned off the wifi with the intention of turning it back on prior to submitting the score. The problem was, I didn't expect the game to be beaten abruptly when it did (i.e. after eating just one insect in the final level) and so I ended up leaving the app right when it asked me "Do you want to submit this score...."
    ."

After turning wifi back on and restarting the app, only the main screen appeared. Apparently that forfeits the right to submit any score. At virtually any other point of activity in the Spider app, exiting it will still allow one to to finish a game and submit the result.

15. David Tiger

Yep, once you're in the end-game UI (i.e., you've eaten the last bug), your game is over and we delete the save. If your wifi is off, it's still best to say "yes" when asked to submit your score .. as I mentioned earlier, you can come back to the app with your wifi on, pull up the leaderboards, and any unsubmitted scores (that you wanted to submit) will be posted.

16. Maverick009

Maverick009 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Ditto on that! Will definately add another dimension to the game.

17. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I just had to register to say that this game was incredible. Really, I'm a hardcore gamer and so far I haven't seen stuff that holds my interest for more than a couple minutes on the iPod Touch but this game is just brilliant. Kudos to the Tiger guys for such a great concept and execution. The way these guys approached story-telling kick the living sh*t out of 99% of the "next-gen" games out there (360, PS3, Wii, PC).

Visuals were great, Music is excellent (please put this as a free download for iTunes) and the gameplay is extremely solid.

There are no words to explain just how much I enjoyed this game and I really hope to see a sequel because this has potential as a franchise.

:D

18. David Tiger

Thanks Omega-F!

Music will definitely be made available publicly, for free. We will post here to let everyone know when that's happening.

19. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    You sir just made my day. After playing Spider, I'll buy anything Tiger Style makes. :D