GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Oh now we have two impressions, yay

2. Meave

Meave Member

Dec 16, 2008
    #22 Meave, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Ok, just tried the first 3 levels, so far I'm loving this game. You control a spider and the object of the game is to move him around the world and create webs to catch bugs to survive.

First, the art is fantastic, I haven't been so impressed since Up There. It looks like each level is hand drawn and the detail is very impressive.

The controls is perfect for the iPhone, you touch besides the spider to move it, swipe to jump and and create the web. Almost every object in the game can be used to create a web. The levels seemed to be timed, so that could add to re-playability. The music fits the game play perfectly and gives a good atmosphere for the game.

Like I said, I'm only a few levels in, but so far this game is easily worth the 2.99 asking price. The attention to detail along with the unique controls make this a must buy.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You will do if I can get it to download, it seems to be stuck... restarting iPhone...

Edit: ok that wasn't a good idea.

4. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    how many levels are there

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    On a related note: anyone know how to fix the issue when an icon goes grey? I think I saw a post about it ages ago but damned if I know where it was.

6. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Are you done downloading?

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not yet.. it's going very slowly, about 30% done.

8. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I havent posted anything beacuse I pressed some shit and everything got screwed.

But from what I played WOW! Everybody buy this beauty NOW!...WOW. Ill post something more descriptive later on.

9. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Started playing this, and I have to say it's very good. The controls are pretty unique and it does force you to think. I'll have a review later.

10. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

Glad to hear some early kind words! Thanks for taking a flyer on our game, folks.

28. If you have more questions about the content, a lot of that stuff is in the app description at the top of the thread. Or you can ask me :)

11. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I had a great idea. How about a move where you can make your own web? Like an art option in the app? Then you could manipulate it however you see fit. What do you think?

12. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Just wait til the downloads done, then it will show

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Need a video to see how this works...

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah it did, thanks. Worried me for a second there.

Anyway I've barely started playing, but as you can see:

[​IMG]

...I'm enjoying the web-spinning. Got an achievement for it too :)

I've not done enough yet to make any real comments, but I will say that the game controls very nicely indeed, such fluidity in the spiders movements.

15. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    okay hopefully someone will put up a vid cause im still confused the way the gameplay works

how bout you midan

16. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I'm very tempted to just put down $5 and get this game an another...

17. plasterman

plasterman New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    plaster consultant for men
    Austin, TX
    Do it!

Okay, full disclosure: I did sound design for this game. Thanks for the props, people! If you've got any suggestions re: sound (FX, interaction with the music, etc.), I'd love to hear it. We all worked really hard to make Spider an extremely intuitive gaming experience, and we're ready to continue that once we get your feedback.

-Ethan

18. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    A video please

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    This is one of those games that I feel like I need to use words outside of the gamer norm, but really seem to apply here: this game is beautiful, unique, artistic, but most of all elegant. I have been bemoaning the lack of ground-up iDevice specific titles that aren't just clones of other games out there. This is one of those games. Great job, devs, I look forward to spending some quality time with this. So what are you waiting for? Take the plunge on something new.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Done a video, but my connection's being an asshole... at the moment YouTube says 29 minutes remaining.