GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Only in that there are usually bugs inside.

2. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Over at Pocket Gamer (Link) there is another interview with the devs. It includes mostly the same info but some other nice stuff, including the naming of CK Bryce. Sounds kinda like how the story evolves in the game too. :)

Here's the relevant part:

3. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Yup. It's one of the few iPhone games I find myself actually looking forward to playing. I try and make time to do so. Most iPhone games seem like passing amusements by comparison. There's just so much there to hold your interest.

4. theblackw0lf

theblackw0lf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Spider is in danger of falling out of the top 100. Hope that Apple starts featuring it soon.

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    congrats

Attached Files:

6. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    whoo hoo this should up sales

7. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    this is amazing...after playing the...well..."demo"...i was forced to buy it! it´s that awesome

it would be cool if some sort of online multiplayer would come later on an update though :)

8. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #368 Dark NRG, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    Great Interview on the front page, Hodapp!!!

BTW Tiger: you really got to get that website goin man. You said that's what you guys were working on feverishly next. Everyone including potential customers linking there from the iTunes page are probably confounded. But, prob gonna take twice as long as you planned, right ;) lol

Another thought: anyone think some devs will rip off this mechanic and how long until we see knock-off's like Flight Control knock-offs?

9. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    It is inevitable that someone will try to make a buck riding the "spider wave", however any games that come after will still be known as "Spider clones" or "Spider knock-offs". Spider will always be original and the best.
    Another thing is, this game is not just about eating bugs. It has a lot of depth that would be hard to replicate. I wonder what the devs will do next?

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think it depends how far ahead we're looking. Anything that comes out in the next couple of months will likely pale in comparison, but if we're talking years then I don't think it's unreasonable to say a game could come out in the same style and wind up being a better game. Doom isn't the best FPS anymore, Tetris isn't the best puzzle game, it's only natural for things to get better over time. However just because a superior game in the same vein may rise up in future doesn't mean Spider will be looked upon any less fondly, it'll still be known as the originator.

11. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I agree completely. I think that DarkNRG was talking about games that would come out "in the next couple of months". But you are right about Spider taking its rightful place in the halls of history just like tetris, Dune2, Wolfenstein 3D, etc.

12. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Like EugeKava, I agree, I'm just wondering with a relatively new mechanic like the Flight Control genre, we have some incredible implementations like Harbor Master (I don't play it but I know many love it) that are just as good and different at the same time, and came out pretty darn soon after, you know??

@eugekava Congrats Senior member! :D

13. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yay!!! :D Thank you.

14. theblackw0lf

Feb 18, 2009
    No kidding. It's already #38 and climbing awfully fast.

15. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    not sure if anyone can confirm what its sales are like in the UK but im saddend that apple hasnt even featured it yet here, opting instead to feature moto x which is number 1 anyways SIGH :(

im amazed it hasnt broken into the top 50 given the cult success its rapidly become! and yes, i totally agree its deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as classics such as tetris, dune2 and wolfenstien.

16. SimonWitton

SimonWitton Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    Just like to say that i agree with what everyone has said on these forums, an absolute gem of a game and i see the love that u guys have put into it, everything has a purpose and a backstory but yet it only serves one purpose to us, the spider.

Truly well done, and as a bioshock lover i can say that ur story telling methods are as good as theirs.

One of my favourite games on my iphone, and unique, nothing else like it ever, i will never look at spiders and cobwebs the same again!

17. nervoussystem

nervoussystem New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
    Boston, MA
    best iphone game

This is the first video game that I have ever really loved. I love how planning and drawing webs because almost an art.

I got so addicted to playing it perfectly that I've gone through the adventure mode 4 times now and as of a few moments ago I have the 2nd highest score.

I want more games like this!

18. shawn_10

shawn_10 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    congratz! ( and welcome.. )

19. theblackw0lf

Feb 18, 2009
    Spider has cracked the top 25 of all paid apps, now #21.

20. FearlessFreep

FearlessFreep Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    OK, I really don't need another game right now, but I'm going to buy this because obviously the developers put a lot into this game and for once, it shows. I want to encourage that and support those efforts. And hopefully I'll get a great game, too.