GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    You unravel a mystery of Byce Manor. By finding various shreds of evidence in secret areas and by looking at the pictures on the walls, various objects scattered around you can piece together the family story. The great thing is that most people come to the same or similar conclusion as to what happened there. If you go to general discussion forum you'll be able to read other people's ideas on the matter. Below is the link.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=21744&page=4

2. AClockworkSausage

AClockworkSausage Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Systems Analyst
    Thank you for your reply. I was purely playing the game as it was presented to me. I'll replay and pay more attention to my surroundings :)

3. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    yea sorry my reply wasnt helpful lol :)

i think tiger style is gonna expand on the story a lot in futire updates and games to. its quite absorbing to .. its subtle, i like that.

4. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Just bought this game, looking forward to playing it! Im definitely going to keep my eye out for the secrets

5. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    This game is genius! I love the puzzle/mystery in it! Great job Tiger Style

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Awesome!!!

Just finished my first playthrough in the Bryce Manor.

What an experience!!!!!!!

Found all the secrets but, despite I'm sure I understood everything...I didn't unlock Sherlok Holmes achivement....so now it begins the second playthorugh...

Congrats to the devs...I played almost everything with the word 'adventure' in it from the Commodore Vic20 onward, and I thought I saw all the storytelling can 'tell'....to my surprise, you managed to tell a story in ways I never though possible.

Great works...I really hope to see more....
    Aside from the great concept, everything else was top notch....music, graphics, animations, controls, even localization!!!
    You nailed everything perfectly.

Now...to THE SECRET :)

7. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi All,

Thought some of you might be interested in this post-mortum I wrote about Spider in my monthly column at Edge magazine. Here's the on-line version:

(WARNING: VERY MINOR SPOILERS)
    http://www.edge-online.com/blogs/the-elegant-dodge

Please bear in mind as you read it that my column very often discusses the future potential of video games as an important art form and the ways developers could improve our approach to realize that potential. Video games are amazing, but it's not hard to notice some creative stagnation and lack of risk-taking. I so often advocate for truly interactive stories about human relationships in my column that I felt it was only appropriate to hold Spider up to that same standard.

If you'd like to read some more of my columns, they are here: http://www.edge-online.com/users/randy-smith

Thanks as usual for all the support!
    Randy

8. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    That was a great article!

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Great reading.

I can speak only for myself, but the goal you was looking to when making the game, was perfectly evident and utterly enjoyed.

I do think Spider raised the bar in adventure and story telling, and this is for any platform.
    It was really a work of art.

Thanks for making it...I really hope to see more from Tiger Games.

10. Backflip Studios

Backflip Studios Well-Known Member

Loved it, brilliant.

This game is truly brilliant!

I have loved everything about it, innovative gameplay, beautiful sound and music, gorgeous art. It reminded me of the first time I played "Braid" on the Xbox360. Could be the best thing I have played on the iPhone.

Great work developers! Please let me know if you ever want to collaborate on future projects. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Best.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #331 MidianGTX, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    Now that ^ is how you know you've got a great game.

12. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    i am deathly afraid of spider, but i do love this game :) love all the different kinds of bugs, even though the butterflies are a pain in the ass ha

13. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    Hey everyone, I got question in the "Graveyard" area,

when I played the storymode the second time, I found that interest "flashing" graveyard that I think I didn't see the very first time; at least no flashing (see attach images). In front of the it, it shows some directions - "left", "upper right", "lower left" and "right"...

anyone know what is it? is it the direction to open the secret room?

thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    #334 sundance kid, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    i was wondering the same thing i just beat that level about 2 levels ago, and had no idea what was going on with that. but it seemed suspicious

just noticed this was my 500th post :)

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The idea was to keep spoilers out of this topic since people who don't have the game are reading it.

16. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
  17. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    IDK, I read it and all I have to say is that's pretty darn modest, dude ;)
    I've been gaming since Pong, and this is some incredible convergence of art, technology, and devices input, as well as utilizing the passive spider as you say, in a "dead story". BRILLIANT!!! Who's idea was this?? It scrolled to fast at the end, and I had no control over using my finger to scroll back down. Maybe incorporate that in an update so we can all read thru with ease who all is to credit for this awesome experience!

18. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I got this game today. I sat right down and completed the story mode and played a few games in the other modes. I think this game is fantastic. I don't understand the story yet, but I plan on playing it through again and again as needed. The web making mechanic works very well. I hope you have good luck on the app store. Original games deserve to be featured and seen by the iPhone community.

19. NiCOOo

NiCOOo Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    One of the bests on the iPhone yet!

I've read some comments regarding the way the webs are drawn.
    In the same "graphical area" maybe it could be great to add a differential scrolling (parallax scrolling) between the background and the front elements, where the spider move... (2 or 3 levels scrolling)

It could give the game a very nice look in motion, kind of more depth of field.
    Maybe it's an easy update to add, but I'm not sure?

Anyway, I'd love to see that... and keep up the good work! :)

20. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    There should be levels with wind, sand (sandbox?), or snow. And you could fight other spiders that live there too! :/