GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Well I have a feeling that spider is going to be featured in the new Apple commercial. Im sure of it.

2. boynamedluke

boynamedluke Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Spider Costume

Spider is a true gem. One of the finest games I've played in years.

Dear Tigerstyle:

My wife suffers from arachnophobia, so she watches me play (in horror). She LOVES this game, and wants to play it so bad, but her mind will not let her finger touch the spider. She almost throws up just thinking about it. She will sit and watch me play for an hour, with goosebumps. Can you help her?! Is there any way you can integrate other spider "costumes"? Even if it's a ferret that spin webs, it would allow her to play!

3. ManOnFire

ManOnFire Member

Jul 8, 2009
    lol...thanks for the good laugh

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not even sure if that was a joke or not but it's an interesting thought. I wonder how many sales are lost due to gamers being too scared to touch virtual spiders.

5. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    My guess is not many and I'm pretty sure that wasn't a joke

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I know it's enough to keep my wife away from it.

7. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    I read a few interpretations as to what the secret of the manor is and lemme tell you, my respect for this game only increased. I won't spoil it for you, but here's a hint/spoiler – the decay in the house chronicles a failed marriage. There's a few subtle hints – pay attention to the Well, Kitchen Sink and Bedroom levels.

Spider has it all – unique gameplay, gorgeous graphics, tight controls that fit the platform perfectly, AND an interesting and compelling story.

This game is a true gem. Easily a A++ in my book. I'll keep my eyes peeled for their next offerings.

8. lafuria

lafuria Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    The more I play this the more I think it might be the finest game for the platform yet.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's certainly up there with the big names. The only downside is we can probably expect a tidal wave of less-than-decent clones to come along any day now.

10. boynamedluke

boynamedluke Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I am totally serious. She tries to play, and simply cannot touch the spider. She shudders and gags. Try being me at 3am and she thought she saw a spider on the ceiling. I don't get to sleep until it is dead. I spend an hour trying to find A spider to kill, just so I can go back to sleep.

I'm with the rest of you posting your thoughts - Spider has an excellent story, told with a truly unique style... such a bonus on top of gameplay that is so enjoyable.

Tigerstyle, can we expect more?

11. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Wish you guys the best of luck and to your future successes! Great to see that quality is being valued by others.

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I just came here to say:WOW!!!

Initially (before buying) I thought the game was simply a modern and very polished QIX remix...then I read all these good comments about the 'adventure' of the game...

After having played 4-5 rooms, all I can say is...WOW!!!
    It's simply brilliant!!!
    Awesome graphics, music, animations...everything is just perfectly polished...but there's more....I'm already intrigued by the 'exploring' part to understand what happened in the manor....

Congrats to the devs...I really want to see more of this.

BTW....controls are SUPERB.

13. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    its a stunning game innit :)

once this gets recognition by either featured page or tv ads its gonna be massive, although i do agree maybe the spider theme will haunt some people!

nevertheless, really hoping for more stories in the future. cant wait :D

14. oneWAYup7

oneWAYup7 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    In God's World
    It's a great game

Maybe the next one could be set in the woods. That would be awesome.

P.S. I love the way the spider tackles the bees. Never gets old :p

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You'd have to think of a way to get enough interesting scenery out of a woodland setting, differently shaped trees wouldn't cut it. I liked the idea from the guy who suggested a shipwreck... or was it a beached submarine? Something like that.

16. oneWAYup7

oneWAYup7 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    In God's World
    Oh, but there' so much more than just trees. Could be a cave in the woods, maybe one near a waterfall...abandoned house or something, one scene at night maybe...I don't know, that's the beauty of this type of game, a lot of scenarios would work.

17. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    That's not cool, dude.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sure it is, he only said it cause he's loaded. Ask anyone who has to work 60 hours a week cleaning toilets the same thing and I'm pretty sure they'd rather earn $10 million without knowing how than lose the $1 million that could have enhanced their lives forever.

Rich people quotes don't always apply very well to the average person.

19. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Thought you were callin "me" a bastard. :eek:

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh... no way, respect dude. We're all cool in here :cool: