GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    regarding the pricing discussion.

DarkNRG, you are mistaken to think that a price drop alone will drive any game into the top. There are a ton of $0.99 cent games released daily. I Dig It rose dramatically in rank after being featured by Apple. They then dropped the price to ride that wave.

And that pricing strategy is one that makes some sense, imo. When you do get featured, that would be the time to drop the price (if you are so inclined)... not before. I'm not saying they should. Just my 2cents on App Store dynamics.

arn

2. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Ok I can no longer resist getting this game. I've been reading all the reviews on here and on iTunes and this sounds like a really great and unique game. The graphics and gameplay look incredible in the video. This looks like it's going to be a classic. Downloading now! I've got to stop reading TA- I already need another iTunes card :)!

3. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #243 Dark NRG, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    I stand corrected by Arn, ouch!

Ok, goin back to Spider. Again, I have no regrets paying 3 bucks. If their marketing was more clear in the beginning, or just more clear period, with video and all, they prob gotten 4.99. I just am saying 99cents is the way to the top, or perhaps since Apple got in touch with them, the road is paved with a possible commercial appearance, how cool would that be!!

Edit: just read Arn's second post above. I respect your opinion, but I was in the thick of it during the launch and following days. I don't recall it being featured until after it broke the top 10 after the price drop, bc I was posting to the dev in the thread at that time. I could be wrong, ask Hodapp.... er, on second thought.... ;)

4. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    +1 I could not have said it better than myself, if your not featured in any way then your better off being full price

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    back to the game, it's really a great game. Congrats to the dev. for the early success.

It's hit the top 100 of all paid apps in the U.S. at rank #100. This without being featured by Apple yet, which is very good.

Also the ratings are pretty damn impressive

Attached Files:

6. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Im sorry to say but Im disgusted by people with this idealism of the app store. My friend the reason the top apps are 99c ones is beacuse people go to the Iphone to look for fun BRIEF games beacuse they distract them from wasting the 60 dollars on the big games. Point is this is just a phase, a cheap one and they will exit it when developers stop doing sales, stop making crap and start acting like real game designers. Beacuse the day when every great game in the app store is going to be 2 dollars and up that will be the day that fairness will reign over the app store.

Trust me the developers WILL wise up, when a string of apps start doing it. Beacuse im sure that when a GREAT GAME comes out and it dosent go on sale you buy it anywhays.

I dig it is a game THAT SHOULD BE PRICED at 1 dollar, so your argument is irrelevant.

Case close -.-

7. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    #247 skyye06, Aug 13, 2009
    Just reread what i said, contradicted myself, gotta stay more focused

8. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    The "practical and wise philosophy of The Dollar App?" It's exactly that mindset--shared by millions of cheapskates and whiny kids worldwide--that has caused the problem in the first place! I absolutely do find it shameful that developers and programmers are constantly besieged by manipulative people whining about prices.

Your comparison between app purchasers and "practical moms" who can't afford to buy Windex because they have hungry little children at home is just plain silly. Apps are a luxury, not a necessity. If you can't afford the app, don't buy it. It's that simple.

I am not a developer, but I do have a professional position for which I am well-compensated. No one has ever had the audacity to ask me to lower my rate because they think I am charging too much. It would be rude of them to do so. Why aren't developers given the same consideration?

I do agree with you that it's a shame that cheap, poor-quality apps continue to have the top rankings in the app store lists. That is a really big problem, and I hope Apple can figure out a way to address it. I'd like to see a separate category for 99-cent apps in the rankings, so that the more expensive higher-quality apps won't continue to be pushed to the bottom of the lists.

9. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

#249 David Tiger, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
    Official Spider Trailer!

[hqYOUTUBE]n2MaK-shoqU[/hqYOUTUBE]​

10. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO

I was on the fence about this one, but after seeing it had over 80 five star reviews (with no reviews lower than that), I decided to buy this game. I've only been playing for a few minutes but I am already extremely impressed by this title - the controls are very fluid and natural and the graphics are top notch

11. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Wow great vocab buddy. You and me think alike ;)

12. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Wow!
    That's nice!
    :)

13. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Vid came out real good but to be honest I thought it was gonna be more "glossy" haha, but great nonetheless!

14. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Played through the first few levels, and I'm so glad I got this game! This game is incredible. The graphics look even better than in the video. The spider moves and responds so well. This game is very hard to put down once you start playing. I can't wait to play through the rest of it. I have to wait till phone's battery recharges. Awesome job to the developers. If you still aren't sure about getting this game- get it! Trust me all those 5 star reviews are true. This game is a steal at 2.99. It's worth so much more!

15. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #255 Dark NRG, Aug 13, 2009
    sycophant :p

Ok, that's for "cheapskate" and "whiny".
    Listen friends,You guys make some dream customer base, I'll tell you!
    Thank god TA, a "luxury", is "free". You think Arn and Hodapp don't work hard on this site, micromanaging it with the other mods? What's the difference? Really.
    Bottom line, because I don't want this to get in the way of those checkin out the last pages of the thread for info on this great game, is we've been on here throughout, haven't we? I love the game, I stand corrected. We just have to agree to disagree on the dynamics of marketing product lifecycles in this new microcosm.
    I hadn't checked the itunes page for a while, had no idea 80+ 5stars! I want everyone to know about this game. It's worth every penny, even more if it was on DS of course. We just have two ways, roads, approaches or whatever, and the market is too new to really tell what works and why.
    "I'd rather lose a million dollars and know how I lost it, than make 10 million dollars and not know how I made it." Malcolm Forbes

Lastly, all the early "crap" games youre refering to , were all the great games that have come and gone that we all enjoyed. Todays games will pale in comparison to future games as well, tho this one could be a classic imo.
    Peace.

16. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Pretty harsh..
    Guys, lets play nice.

17. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    The video is well done. Tiger was right: they ARE perfectionists :cool:

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Wow, Malcolm Forbes is an idiot. Tell that to the millions of unemployed and homeless you bastard!

19. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Well that was quite an ending. Fantastic game

20. CryptoF

CryptoF Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Londinium
    Unfortunately there now appears to be a 1 star review because "it runs really slowly on my iphone 3gs sometimes". Some people shouldn't be allowed to vote (and that applies to more than just the app store :p).