GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Ok dude, basement level: it really would of HELPED if the mosquitos were attracted to the light ;)

2. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Its #9 Top Paid App in Australian App Store. Congrats!

3. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    David still hasnt stopped by? Wow thats strange.

4. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    After party hangover? :)
    Their app went nuclear over the period of 3 days. Can't blame them if they decided to "take it easy".
    I missed 2 secrets and now have to go back to find them. I wish we were told which secrets we got and which we missed...
    Still, more than happy to play it again.

By the way, I made an error before - its #9 top paid adventure game, not app. Got carried away.:)

5. Randy Smith

Randy Smith Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hey All,

We're not partying just yet. In fact, we're totally slammed with promotional requests. Most excitingly, Apple wrote directly to say they dig our game, and we're going to get some special recognition from them. We couldn't be more stoked, of course. I do think you folks on this forum have made a BIG impact with your enthusiasm... it's helped Spider receive serious recognition! Thanks! As of this writing, we have nothing but 5 star reviews, and a LOT of them. Holy cow!

Spider is doing very well, but there is a lot of chart climbing left to go before we're competitive, say nothing about repaying the development costs. We're hopeful that we'll muscle into the tops of the charts soon! Then we can take vacation. :)

It's cool to read your ideas about alternate ways we could have taken the game. Almost all of them are things we considered when designing Spider! I'll break the news here first that we have some levels we're planning to add in an update, but please don't hold your breath - the production for Spider takes a long time, and we won't release new content until it's super high quality. But it will come eventually and will include new angles and insights into the story... CK Bryce's past... R Bryce's woodshop near the fountain.. and something long lost between the floorboards.

Anyone find the secret room yet?

We're working on our website right now, and it will include a forums section, the perfect place to talk to the developers and discuss Spider spoilers. Our ambition is to have it up within a week!

Thanks again!
    Randy

6. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    wow thats amazing well deserved, and no I have yet to find that darn room:mad:

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Awesome news! I'm genuinely excited for you guys (which is rare, admittedly). Fingers crossed for #1!

I don't think anyone's posted saying they've found the room yet, some people have noticed a bunch of clues but we're still pretty baffled.

8. acw418

acw418 New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Great game! I found the secret room on my second time through, but I was more interested in the story and the secret of the manor when I finished.

When I played through the second time, I tried to get every fly (missed 2) and every secret (got all of them). I noticed little details in most of the rooms that I want another look at so I'm getting ready for a third time.

I surprised no one is discussing the story at all, because it seems to me a lot of time was put into it, and it is definitely there.

9. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #229 Dark NRG, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Drop the price=go to #1 in App Store. Reference: "I Dig"

Congrats guys!!!!

Haven't found secret room, just secret spaces, not same thing, right?

I love having to hit the switches. Adds another level when you expect to just spin web. Best level: All Bees ;)

If you don't have this game, you MUST get it!!!

cemetary freaking me out. Trying not to do spoilers, but wtf? someone get that yet?? That's totally cool!

10. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yeah, great idea. :rolleyes:
    I'm sure a professional, experienced, creative development team like this one loves to hear suggestions like "drop the price."
    The problem is that developers are dropping the prices on their games--devaluing their hard work--to appease the whiny kids with a dollar left in their iTunes account. In the end, everyone suffers. What's the incentive for developers to create quality games if they cannot receive adequate compensation?

They made a great game, and they deserve every penny of the small price they are charging for it. In fact, I think they should raise the price. Seriously.

11. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I agree that the story is intriguing. It is hard to discuss it without spoiling it for those who just started though. May be we'll have to wait for the official forums to come online.

One thing I would like to know is whether finding all 12 secrets is tied to finding the secret room?

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Voted don't drop the price. You're just going to devalue your game. It's worth every bit of the $3 price tag. Honestly, this is better than a lot of $30 DS games and $10 XBLA games.

13. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    1+ Here and anywhays, I know you guys wouldnt ever commit this murder to your app. Your genious developers that know how to play the game. And when I say game I mean the bussiness.

14. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Discussions and spoilers belong in the "General Game Discussion" Forum. There really shouldn't be any comments in this thread that will spoil the game for those who have not played it yet. If there's not already a thread there, maybe you can start one. I think it would be a popular topic! :)

15. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    +1 dont even think about it

16. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    This is an original high quality game that has no equal (in its genre) on iDevice. I see no reason to drop the price for a very long time. All this game needs is publicity and advertising.

17. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    You are absolutely correct. Here's an existing thread. Here be spoilers.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=21744&highlight=spider

18. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #238 Dark NRG, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    I don't see whiny kids in the Dollar Store or Walmart. I see practical moms trying to squeeze out every penny bc they have families to feed and can't blow 4 bucks on Windex at a regular store. Too bad you think the top apps, which obviously get the most attention, should remain being the MORON Test, Flight Control, and Offender Locator, while great apps I enjoy like DOOM stays at $9.99 and doesn't get very far, or much attention after it's initial release. Look at Wolfenstein, already two big reviews on the front page of TA. You saying this game is equal to Wolfenstein? I love it, but come on. Wolfenstien free got hight, this one won't.
    Spider can be #1 next week if it embraced the practical and wise philosophy of "The Dollar App". If you find shame or something convoluted in that, remember that next time you're at Subway instead of Quiznos :rolleyes:

EDIT: geesh, posted this in response, THEN saw all your' other votes LOL.
    I still refer to my online exchange over the very same topic with Hodapp, remember? Over I DIG IT, it was 99cents on launch, and I "whined" that it went to $3 the next day to my chagrin after I tried the free version and loved it. Great game, level playing field. I argued for the dev to drop it to 99cents again so it would climb bc it was such a solid and fun game.

They did. (99cents)

It did. (#1 app)

Case closed.

I'd rather the multitudes have my app on their device, than the elite few.

19. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    - 1 review. 1 "it's out" article.

arn

20. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Real Racing hasn't changed its price tag since release and despite that it is still one of the most popular apps. Reason is that it is hands down the best racing game. Spider is the best adventure game. There are games that are not as good selling like hot cakes for as much and more.