GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

I actually do think this is a very cool idea. I like the idea of something like this being entirely optional, like a mode you toggle on/off after an unlock. Let the players who want to draw inside their webs do so, but keep the basic gameplay fundamentally the same.

If I have a regret about the way the game looks, it is that the webs aren't exactly beautiful. For a game where you spend all your time building webs, we basically implemented a solution that was passable -- they are recognizable as spider webs, and not much more. If Spider was a bigger budget production .. or perhaps if I had more experience as a graphics programmer .. we might have been able to do something cooler in a procedural fashion, or at least we could have spent more time researching better ways to render the web contents.

Then, as you allude to, there is the creative element. You build the webs where you want to, which implies creativity, but it is constrained by game rules, and the resulting web is basically pre-defined. Giving the player tools to define what happens inside the web boundaries would probably be very exciting for the more creative-minded, constructive players out there.

2. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Look at it this way...you seem to have built a solid base...can add the other stuff in later in an update :D

3. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    i'm personaly curious to see how well a game like this sold that was featured on the front page and has 21 post pages already after coming out what? 2-3 days ago?

i wonder if popularity on forums and web pages really do garner a good buy rate (although civ rev has hit #1 in US games and #2 in overall apps, plus minigore rose very high just based on forum and review popularity.)

4. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Haven't actually sat down and completed a game in a while. Count Spider to my paltry list.

After all is said and down, before tackling any of the other modes, this is one of my favorite iDevice games, period.

I give it a 9/10

Course, I would add some things. More music, actual story (not an implied one), my levels. But this is a fantastic idea come to life.

5. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I actually think that "design your own web" addition was meant by forumites to be like a mini-game, unrelated to the main game. May be I am misunderstanding something?

6. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    You know, the webs, tho a centric theme of gameplay, look just fine. I'd like some simple animation outside of the bugs, such a clouds passing by outside, you get the idea. Reminds me of some of the Mercer Mayer's Just me and my Dad interactive games from Humongous back in the 90's.

Could web bounce be implemented when a bug/spider is on the web, a la the "boob bounce" photo apps for iPHone?

7. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

Well, I'm impressed. Very good and polished game. Moreover it's something original.

Any tips about future updates?

8. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #208 maikelg, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    Did anybody find out how to get into the secret room yet? I've finished the game twice now and found all the secret areas. I did notice the drawings in some areas that seem to show how to open it but I just don't know what to do. In the last room, jumping on the wheel doesn't seem to do anything... Any ideas? Has the glowing tombstone have anything to do with it?

9. Sbell42

Sbell42 Member

Jan 14, 2009
    ^ Maybe put the spoilers in another thread? Don't get me wrong, I'll probably be wondering the same thing at some point, but for now, I'd rather see how much of the game I can figure out myself without accidentally finding out the secret ending before I'm done.

10. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Yes, please no spoilers. I've yet to get the game, and am very much looking forward to playing it through without knowing all the secrets ahead of time.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This was actually what I initially thought the game would be like, hence my very first post in this topic where I said "Looks like you just draw the edges and it fills it in. Not necessarily a bad point, I just kinda wanted to design my own webs from looking at the first pic in this topic." But to get it working you'd really have to concentrate on getting the controls right, simply allowing players to attach threads inside the outline with the current web-slinging controls wouldn't quite be accurate enough for the people wanting to create something detailed. Compared to the current web graphic you have, the user-created webs would look appalling. Like JanB said, perhaps when you tap the spider a little aiming arrow would appear (think Worms/Pocket Tanks and the like). The thread would also have to be slightly thinner than the outlines to allow for the added detail.

Optional certainly, as it is the game functions perfectly well with the current setup, to take that away would kill the flow for the people who aren't interested in the creativity aspect. A separate mode would be more than welcome, but putting it into other modes could work as long as it wasn't forced on the player.

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #212 MidianGTX, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    Out of interest, you can hide text by using the font colour #fafafa to set it to the forum background colour. Then people would have to highlight it to read, unless this forum allows for different themes... I haven't looked.

(Example)MidianGTX is totally hot and undeniably awesome.(End example)

Just beware when quoting someone that's written a spoiler, it'll obviously show up in the edit box.

13. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    exactly the same here! mind you, despite not finding the secret room i think i can piece together what happened ;)

14. CryptoF

CryptoF Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Londinium
    There are some creative people on these forums. I like the web art and the different spider type ideas.

I don't have much to contribute, other than to say that I'm really enjoying this game. Reminds me of the probably imaginary "good old days" when gameplay was king, although I love the artistic style too. It's a real bargain for what you get.

Here's hoping for more games like this.

15. DocDJ

DocDJ Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Lovely game ! One question though: is it possible to return to previous levels ? Can't seem to find the option. Might otherwise be an idea for a future update ?
    Also, can we expect more levels in the future ? This is already one of my favorite games, keep it up !

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    No level select at the moment, but quite a few people seem to be voting for one so they're probably considering it by now :)

17. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Hey dave! Im so glad you liked the idea. But what I meant was simpler: a new MODE where you choose where to build the web in a room selection screen, then IN THAT MODE ONLY you constract the web how ever you see fit. Your gonna see some beautiful creations David, that I asure you.

Btw did you hear the other ideas? Different spiders with different attack and web patterns? I can just imagine the black widow wrapping the bugs, and that spider that hangs in a single thread and waits for its prey to fly by and catches them right in the air. Amazing.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Wow! Again I've just been stunned by a brilliantly clever yet stupidly simple detail in the gameplay. The area under the stairs... awesome feature! Got the Gaping Maw achievement out of it too :)

Hint to others (highlight to read): those butterflies aren't butterflies, they're moths.

19. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

May 12, 2009
    I definatly like the idea of unlocking different spiders with different abilities. Perhaps there could even be another insect-eating insect. I mean may be a unlockable Praying Mantis? :D
    That'd be awesome.

I think this game was made for that kind of updates. There are so many ways to improve it. The web thing. Unlockable insects. New rooms.
    Don't get me wrong, it's really nice already. ;)

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Spider is now at #50 in the Games section of the UK store :)