GameClub Spider: The Secret Of Bryce Manor (by TigerStyle) [TA 2009 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    1. How many levels are in the game?
    2. Is there an over-arching "story" or does it just go from scene to scene?
    3. What are the planned future updates for the game? New Levels? New Spider Types? New Abilities?

Cheers!

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    28 levels in the main adventure mode. There's no dialogue in the story (unless it's at the end of the game), it's more hinted at by the various items you see in the house as you progress through the levels.

Can't comment on updates obviously since I'm not the dev... but they seem optimistic about hearing our ideas :)

3. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Hey Tigers did you like the idea to make an art mode in which you make your own web, in any design you wish to create?

4. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    +1 that be really cool

5. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    So refreshing to find a game that has high production standards, is thoroughly entertaining and uniquely original, works straight out of the box without any major bugs or glaring need for an update and manages to stand out from the enormous steaming pile of effluent piling up in the septic tank that the AppStore has become without any over inflated pre release hype. Kudos to Tiger Style, I look forward to future releases.

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    This game has 48/49 5 star ratings. And is already the #74 Top Game.

7. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

Hey Jan,

How do you imagine that would work? Are you talking about a mode where you would simply play with webs in existing environments without the Spider present? In other words, just a "drawing" mode?

BTW, we may not respond to all the ideas posted here, but we are definitely listening. Some things may be too involved to implement for our update(s) but it's good to hear what people want.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I thought he meant an option where you could basically edit the texture that appears when a web is created. Have a square and a white pen tool, draw a pattern and that would be what appears when a web is made.

He might not have meant that but it was the impression I got.

9. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Same here, which I also think is a cool idea.

I can't wait to pick this game up - just waiting for my budget to open back up, after a few purchases (including Civ Rev) in the past couple of days.

10. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    This is probably a crazy idea that would be too difficult and costly to implement, but how about have a variety of spiders with different hunting techniques? There are spiders that catch pray with a single thread of silk covered in sticky droplets, there are those who draw the web between their legs and catch the prey in the "net" as it goes past... May be next game? :)

Currently if I leave the level before finishing it, my progress is not saved. When I start the game again I have to start the level from the beginning.
    I really don't mind, because the game is great, but it may be a useful feature as it would give players an extra option.

Thank you.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Quite liking the extra spiders idea... provided there's enough variety in their actions and it's suitable for the gameplay.

12. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Finally got a chance to play this. It's a really great game. The controls are shockingly intuitive - rare for an iPhone game. Love the fluid animation and the beautiful art and music. It's got style. I've only played a few levels so far - but I can already tell this is one of the best games I've played on the iPhone. At only $3 it's really something everyone should buy.

13. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #193 Dark NRG, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    Oh, how you "raved" about the game and kissed their butt. :p
    It's all good. I stuck around by reading your posts when the thread was started. My GF loves the game, and now that I've been playing it, I can't put it done hardly. I think the devs have you to thank the most pal!!!

Anyhow, I do have a question regarding secret spaces: are there secret spaces every level? and if so, should I go back and replay a level to find one missed, or even restart the game, if it's neccessarry for completing the adventure?

The graphics and art are superb!!! Gameplay incredible. I am REALLY IMPRESSED. I fell for games that I didn't like and others praise in the past, more recently Mini Taxi. This game really stands out. I still suggest dropping the price so to kill on the Top 100 in the store. I want to see this game on top!

@ MidianGTX I love how you did the "spoiler", never saw that before :D

14. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    Heh, I'm not even in the main game yet. I'm just monkeying around in the tutorial having fun. I love how the controls are perfectly suited to those little jumping spiders I find around the yard.

Making webs is the coolest thing for us people with ADD. I'm just like jump-whee! jump-whee!

This calls for an important Spider Public Service Announcement.

15. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    I hate mosquitos.

16. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I love how you have to "herd" them towards the web.

17. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Well my idea was, that we use the spider for the drawing, we would first make the outline and instead of an autofill we would have the ability to decorate it how ever we see fit. We would be able to add web without jumping, maybe by a small reticle or the direction its thorax would be pointing to which could indicate where the string would be fired at; take away web with its mandibles, make lines thinner by scrapping web from them and same for making them bigger. We would then be given the ability to create rain so we could give our web a very dramatic feel or the ability to accelerate time and see our web decay little by little.

Basiclly it would be a very innovative drawing tool, the spider being the pen of course. What do you think? Obviously controls here would be for precision and not anything else.

18. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Yeah, I picked up on that after a little while, (read: after dying 5 times). Again, incredible depth, the still pics just doen't do the game justice.

I love the art creation idea.
    I really love some of the ideas for other themes/stories utilizing this engine.
    This thing could have (spider) legs.
    Oh, and as for Tiger asking about scoring, I agree, I'm too sucked in and mesmurized by the story and game to care about scores at the moment ;)

19. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Glad you love my idea man!! :D

20. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

They are almost as annoying as they are in real life!