Universal Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon (by Tiger Style)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Aug 5, 2015.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    That sounds like a GREAT idea!
    It's so frustrating when I can't progress in an otherwise enjoyable game because I am stuck on a particular task. I enjoyed the first Spider game very much, and I've really been looking forward to playing this. A "dunce mode" would be a welcome addition! ;)

2. MrsPath

MrsPath Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Lightning Rod

Has anyone successfully attempted the tower lightning rod during a rain storm?

Bewteen the red wasps and 5 second lightning interval, I can't make it to the other side of the rod to engage the clamps. I have a feeling it'll require timed jumps to avoid the electric shock, but where to jump? If you accidentally jump off the roof, the game starts you over at the ledge.

Any advice is welcome.

3. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I wasn't going to get this on the fear that it was the same as Bryce Manor (which I thought was supremely awesome in its time but I've played that and high scores alone don't interest me). I relented after some research & I'm so glad I did, this is simply fabulous. Everything about it is near perfect to me. Yeah the high score table could be optional and the weather/time machine could be unlimited (but it's not and I'm sure Tiger Style has their reasons) but otherwise it's pure premium genius with tonnes of content. A game to get lost in for countless hours while forgetting about the other hundred apps on your device.

4. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Does this game require Internet? How do I progress if I play on a plane ride that is 12 hours? I'm assuming it won't work for the weather related matters?

5. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I just tested the game in Airplane Mode and it works fine. Presumably it uses your previously saved location / time of day / weather conditions or just makes it up if you have no online connection.

6. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks! Starting in Oslo, Norway and ending San Francisco, CA!

7. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    What determines the different ranking? (Knight, Scholar, Keeper, etc.)

8. Chiskle

Chiskle Active Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Mansion North Post-Gargoyle Help

Help! I'm super stuck on Mansion North. I successfully activated the gargoyle and have absolutely no clue as to what I should do next. I still have question marks on Hallway and Master Bedroom, but I've found all the clues for those rooms. I keep going back and wandering around aimlessly. Thanks in advance!

9. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Try revisiting the ceiling area above the clock in the hallway to see if anything has changed.

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    This is a great idea that would be much appreciated--sounds like I'm not the only one with remedial puzzle skills.

11. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I have spent hours trying to catch the Coleophora. (one of the four rare moths I still need to complete the bug collection)
    It is located down in the Temple, but it doesn’t seem possible to build a strong web with the way the area is laid out, and I can’t figure out how to lure the moth down to my webs at all. It just flies down occasionally when I light the flames, but not far enough to reach my webs.
    Has anyone managed to catch this bug?

12. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I did.
    I built strong webs in the large gap between the torches - on both sides. I then lit all 6 torches and went to the triangle thing in the middle. I used that to jump up to the roof and run to the side he was on to make him move. It took me quite a few tries. I had also collected all the other insects on the level. I'm not sure if that made a difference or not.

13. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I definitely prefer having to figure them all out. The puzzles (and the fact that you need to solve them to progress) are exactly what makes this game a REAL game.

I remember being stumped for hours and days by different game puzzles in the past. Yeah I know we now live in the age of 'nobody's got time anymore' but you guys (Tiger Style) spent years turning your vision of this game into a reality, and you created another innovative masterpiece to go alongside the others in your stable. You haven't been wrong in your design decisions in the past and I don't think you're wrong here. Just my thoughts.

My only hopes are that if you do make a change, that you make it an entire different mode and leave the original untouched. Thank you for reading and thank you for the game.

14. MrsPath

MrsPath Member

Aug 8, 2015

Yes. This is what I did, too.

15. MrsPath

MrsPath Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Thank you

I finished all the clear day levels, and
    the walrus is too cool. Coocoo kachoo.

Thank you for a fabulous game!

16. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Previous game rewarded the puzzle completion by awarding the player with access to a secret room that brought the story together. It didn't prevent the advancement through the game for those who didn't want to complete the puzzles. In a game like this freedom is preferable. I'd be happy if it was made as a separate mode rather than the change to existing game.

17. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    This is going to sound really dumb, but the large gap between the torches looked far too wide, so I didn't even attempt to build the webs there. I was expecting something more difficult and spent ages trying all sorts of fancy web making techniques elsewhere in the area. Maybe I should have tried the most obvious solution first. :) Thanks for the tip.

18. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    So, for those who have solved all the location mysteries
    do you think that's all we can do for now (puzzle-wise) until the various real world moon phases come into play?

19. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

The current solution (which is waiting for Apple review) is simply to remove the locks. We've thought about adding a new mode instead, but something feels weird (to me) about adding a checkbox that lets you jump artificial barriers. We added the locks waaaay back, when people were not really "getting" that there were puzzles to be actively solved, and the problem in the shipped game isn't that people don't know about the puzzles, it's that they hit a wall 6 levels into the game and grind against it and get frustrated.

Having played the version without the locks, I can also say there is something liberating in being able to wander through most of the estate without having to consider puzzles at every step. It makes the world feel more open (to me, anyway!).

It's important to note that the puzzles are all still in place and have not changed one bit. There are still several key levels and locations in the game that you can not reach without solving puzzles. You can't get everywhere in the game unless you are paying attention. You can simply explore more of the Estate at your own pace. But if the ultimate mysteries are what drive you, it's still going to take careful attention and clever puzzle-solving to find the deepest content in the game.

Thanks for the perspective, by the way!

20. KM_2006

KM_2006 Member

Aug 11, 2015
    #120 KM_2006, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    :)
    Have a look at the gold record that comes up in the gramophone. You have to jump on the handle thing until the gold one comes up. The gold one has a word on it.