Universal Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon (by Tiger Style)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Aug 5, 2015.

1. MrsPath

MrsPath Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Thanks!!

2. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    A wonderful game (just like the first one) - immersive, a lovely 'painterly' feel to the graphics and I think the controls are spot on (it feels like a very natural way to control a spider). I like the way that this game progresses & the way you can explore the world & the night/day clear/raining cycle is a nice touch.

The one thing that bothers me though is the music, though I can't see that anyone else has mentioned this. Good as the music is, for me it just doesn't really fit in with the 'exploring a mysterious mansion' vibe that works so well in all other aspects of the game...it's a bit incongruous. Perhaps it's just me I don't know, but I've ended up just turning the music off which seems a shame. Anyone else feel the same?

3. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Took me a while to figure that out. It has to be obtuse. Every corner of the web has to be between 90 - 180 degrees.

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    After completing the Captain’s quarters level on the ship, I now have some sort of new feature unlocked on the map but I don’t understand what it is or what it’s meant to be used for.
    (a small spider appears on the map and it can draw lines between certain locations)
    Has anyone else reached this stage?

5. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah, guess I'm just stupid or the clues are just to obscure for me at least. Can't solve the mysteries in the barn or the north mansion and it's just getting frustrating now, I just want to progress to the next levels, but patience is wearing thin.

6. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    If you read my spoiler on the previous page, that should give you a hint to help solve the mansion north mystery.

7. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Thanks man, I saw it, but still couldn't figure it out lol#
    Think maybe I need some sleep, try again tomorrow!

8. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    #88 Candykiller, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Okay, here's a bigger spoiler for the mansion north -
    Go to The hallway, above the Grandfather clock, to the ceiling motif. Crawl round to the small opening at the far right and it will reveal a pointer showing two symbols. Press these two symbols on the device at the left of the gargoyle area, then go to the right and flick the switch. That should set off an event with one of the gargoyles...

There's a bit more to do after that, but you should be able to figure out the next steps.

9. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Thank you!###

10. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

I've also just completed Captain's Quarters...
    I think the 'new feature' on the map may be to do with the roman numerals that appear on the map. I've noticed some of my levels have them next to them but not all. I remember for one of them I viewed a level at night, and the moon lit up some numerals on a window and after I saw this the numerals appeared on the map. I'd guess we need to unlock all of these before we can do anything with drawing lines on the map. I think some may require specific moon phases to unlock, though I was only actually aware of unlocking one of the three that I have on my map so that may not be true.

The actual line drawing could be solved with the gold coin thing found in the captain's quarters or it may be to do with the pattern that appears on the crow wings in the tree house...

Absolutely loving the game so far. Unlike others, I love the higher focus on mystery and the puzzles in this game. The first game was fantastic too but they couldn't exactly recreate that same experience of slowly realising there's a bigger mystery behind the scenes again .

11. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

It's actually just size that determines strong webs! They have to be sufficiently big... we almost changed them to call them "Huge Webs" towards the end of the project but we didn't like the way it sounded so... sorry it's not super clear!

12. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

We're considering pushing an update so that we won't necessarily block levels on puzzles, since we're getting a fair bit of feedback that this is frustrating. The puzzles will still be there, we just won't put up walls between mansion areas if you get stuck on one. (Most highly secret areas in the game notwithstanding)

What do you guys think? Does anybody prefer being required to figure them out?

13. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i think freedom of choice is better. and that way there will be more mystery in the game, because players can return to the previous locations for solving puzzles. this is awesome!

14. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I don't think it would harm the experience if the various locations could be visited freely without requiring an unlock through solving mysteries. The way the game is at present, I can imagine quite a number of players never reaching the later stages.

15. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Interesting. I've made some HUGE webs that weren't strong. I've also made some fairly small webs that were.

Separate question - What part of the world is the O. Walrus found in? #

16. MrsPath

MrsPath Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I'm having the same issue, and am tackling it again now.

I love the game, but damn. It reminds me of Myst. :)

I'll check back later to see if anyone offers a hint of the windmill.

17. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    That's a wonderful idea! Puzzles should always have been a secondary aspect of the game. The story is far more important. We can always come back and solve puzzles later.
    The big question is:"Does the storytelling suffer greatly if some of the secret rooms are not unlocked through puzzle solving?".

18. MrsPath

MrsPath Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I got it!

in the barn, you'll find two wheels with symbols, and one looks like metal and has slots in it. Line these up to find the right sequence for the levers.

19. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

#99 SPAMBOT, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Post captain's quarters.
    Okay I'm fairly convinced now that these numerals need to be found and 'activated'. There seem to be seven on the gold triangle in the captain's quarters and there seem to be seven on the map. Two of the three I have I don't think need the right moon cycle to activate. One definitely does and the remaining four need the right moon conditions too I'd say based on the moon symbols on the map.

Okay...

i is on the middle of the windmills sail.
    vi is on a grave in the graveyard.
    vii is in the entrance hall and needs a half moon to light up a window to be revealed.

For the remaining four based on the moon locations on the map...

I'd say one is at carriage house
    One on the upstairs part of the conservatory.
    One at the tower.
    One is somewhere in Mansion North.

Does anyone else have any other numerals revealed?

20. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    @SPAMBOT
    I think you are right, the numerals should be activated during the moon phases shown on the map. If this theory is correct, the next numeral should show up in the Carriage House around a week from now.