Universal Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon (by Tiger Style)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Aug 5, 2015.

1. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I have a quite serious issue: what about those of us living in CA where there is a drought? It barely rains here these days- is the in-game raining only tied to your location, or is there an added bit of randomness or possibly a minimum amount of rain in the game?

2. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

The game features a weather device and time machine that you can use once per moon cycle. When you activate it, it changes the weather in your game for 30 minutes of real time.

So... if your weather is fixed in one condition, or you live at the north pole and it's daylight for 24 hours, you can still play in alternate conditions.

3. David Tiger

Hey Adsinjapan,

Walking can be tricky at first -- the real secret to walking is that you want to touch the screen and then *keep your finger in place* -- don't drag your finger! The spider will start walking in the direction of your finger when you first touch and then will keep walking in the same direction.

Jumping off webs is fully supported, not sure why you're having trouble there...

Hope you keep at it!

4. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Really enjoying it, though it is definitely harder than the first game. Not sure if I like the hostile enemies as it makes the game far less contemplative, and replaying the larger levels is a bit of an annoyance. But I'm sure I'll get better.

The UI is a bit unnecessarily cryptic, though. I don't know what the various "star" levels are, the names aren't explained, and I'm not sure what all the indicator symbols mean for each level.

Is there a difference in ability between the playable spiders, or is it just cosmetic? Can't tell with the first one I unlocked.

Loved the detail where you scrape the user's neighborhood name for the location. My neighborhood has a name that would fit a gothic manor setting so at first I thought it was a coincidence. :)

5. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I love this game.

6. David Tiger

Hey Cougarcat,

The spiders are only different cosmetically.

Searcher / Keeper / Scholar / Knight are the four ranks of the secret society. We rank your score using that terminology; it is intentionally a bit opaque but your score rank is just a function of your score versus the theoretical max score of the level based on its contents. (In other words, the score thresholds are different based on the conditions you play the level in). Basically we're encouraging people to play for high scores and learn how to master the scoring system.... we think the game becomes even more interesting when you start playing for score, as it leads you to be more thoughtful and tactical in your play.

Hope that clarifies a bit!

7. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    I've seen gaemplay videos that feature webs that wobble around but Ive also seen some gameplay videos that doesnt have that feature. From which device and up does the game have that realistic web feature?

8. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    #48 Cougarcat, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    OK, thanks. Another question--is it always possible to find all of the bugs in a level to trigger the notification? I know some areas are inaccessible depending on the weather.

And the symbols--the checkmark means you've found all the secrets, and the ? means there are some remaining to be found, yes?

9. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Loving the game so far. Quick question: any plans to add icloud saves? Would love to have progress sync between ipad and iphone

10. David Tiger

Nice observation! Soft body webs (which are physically animated) are only on iPhone 5+, iPad 4th Gen+ or Mini Retina 2+. They are a performance beast, unfortunately, so the older devices have static webs... which are still dynamically constructed and look a heck of a lot better than S1, IMO.

Where are you watching gameplay videos out of curiousity?

11. David Tiger

Should be, yes... we don't place insects in parts of the levels that are inaccessible based on time/weather.

Yep, that's right.

12. David Tiger

Not at the moment, but I might look into it in the future if I hear enough people wanting it. iCloud has always been weirdly problematic for me but at least the way save data is structured here it MIGHT be reasonably straightforward....

If you wanted to move saves around manually, you could do it with iExplorer (I realize that is sort of a terrible suggestion but hey, best I can do right now)

13. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    From Youtube! I think I'll get the steam version although its a bit more pricey than the ios version. I need that web action going :)

14. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Why can time/weather machine be used only a limited number of times? It is raining here in Melbourne and I can only play when not at work. Am I stuck to playing levels "on a rainy night"? I noticed that some clues become visible when it doesn't rain, so why can't I replay the same level in all conditions as often as I want. Why such weird limitation? Would I have to wait till the next month to be able to progress in the game?

15. David Tiger

Hi Eugekava,

Good (tough) question! We established these constraints because we designed this feature -- where the game reflects day/night or rainy/clear in your real-world location -- and we are asking players to think about that stuff as they play.

We hope part of the experience is that with the game on your phone or computer for the next month or so, you start thinking about the time, or the weather... that the next time it's a clear night and the moon is out, you think about our game and you go hunting for a rare insect or looking to find a secret that you think is available at that moment in time. Also, since all of the levels are different in all four conditions, you could sit down and run your battery down playing all the game levels in just ONE of the conditions on a given night.

That's the idea anyway! We do realize that people have real world constraints that make it hard for them to play at all times of day, or they live in places where the weather is pretty constant. So that's (partially) why the time machine and weather device are in the game, to give you that option. They reset with every phase of the moon, which is a fancy way of saying "about every 3 days."

Finally: yes, there are a few puzzles that require use of time/weather/moon, and the ultimate mysteries of the game require a bunch of attention on that stuff, but you should be able to make your way through most of the estate (minus 3 levels) without ever playing during the daytime (for example).

Sincerely hope you spend some time with it and that ultimately you enjoy it!

David

16. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks, David.
    That's a relief. Reset once every three days I can handle.
    Actually I do enjoy the game a lot. Used to love the thread created for the original game where we shared the clues and discussed what they mean.
    Look forward to exploring this game further.

17. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles

That's some legit game design that I love. I am in Los Angeles, so this affects me (I think it has rained twice this year) but I don't mind at all. I appreciate you guys building that feature in.

18. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Liking the game but i have a few questions...
    Why is it that on the first level I have a "?" On the clear night option when i've played the level and gotten the level clear screen?
    Also when playing a level and it says how many bugs you got is it always possible to get the level clear screen or does it depend on the time of day?

Thanks!

19. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    you couldve completed the level but maybe not on a clear night. You can customize your weather and time for each level

20. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Cool idea... I live in Santa Cruz, CA and in in the same situation as @wicked8146 but since I'm traveling in Norway I'll get the game now as it is much cooler and even raining with this weekend and next week looking Warner! Perfect time to explore this game!!!!