Universal SpellTower Classic (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #61 Bad Hanson, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    stfj, -my wife and I have had a lot of fun playing puzzle mode together while travelling on holiday last week. If one of us spotted a five letter (or better) word we dialled it in otherwise taking turns. With your creative spark perhaps you might be able to come up with something better for a mode- more novel, but along the same lines.
    Food for thought...Perhaps a two player same device mode with a countdown timer, maybe 30 seconds (a pause/resume screen could flash up blanking the screen while device is passed to and fro (kinda as with the new ticket to ride pass-and-play update) -with player one score tallied in the top left and player two at right and some new bonus tile types which can be toggled on and off for variety. This could also be made to work for asynchronous m.p. too of course!

Your game is top drawer page one app all the way. I hope your hard work gains you more esteem, as Indie dev's go you are hitting some fine home runs and are up there with the best of 'em my friend :)

2. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Ha ha, pretty amusing. Glad you found it so easily. Is this issue also why the high word score was not saved?

Thanks for the great, active support!

3. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @david r: glad you took the plunge, and even gladder that you like it :)

@bad hanson: you touch arcade crowd are all way too psychic !
    I'm glad you and your wife are loving the game, pass and play tower mode is coming in Jan. After that I'm planning to do an game center asynchronous vs. tower mode... and some more fun stuff planned after that

4. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Lol...Not the first time I've been told that :)
    Good to know you'll be making the game even better in due course. I get the feeling this game has plenty of legs.
    -Thanks again!

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    You know, I have yet to do any sort of MP via GameCenter but I might be willing to try that.

6. Raphie123

Raphie123 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    #66 Raphie123, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    Hi guys, first of all I must say that this game is pretty full of awesomness, I bought it yesterday and I'm really addicted to it! I didn't read all the thread, but what I want to know is if there will be a french version someday? I saw that you plan on making a Dutch version, but how about french? And I read that you would like to make seperate apps, because of GC, but if you make different leaderboard like : Tower mode - Dutch, Tower mode - English and Tower Mode - French, wouldn't it work? And we could chose the language in the option. Even if this game is really awesome, I wont buy a seperate French version because the english would become a waste of money unfortunatly. They did that with pocket RPG, and I think its really ridiculous..

And if you make a iphone version(which I really hope), will it be universal? That would be really awesome!

Thanks in advance for your answer!

7. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @Raphie123: I'd like to make a french version as well. Right now I'm just a one man operation over here, so it might take a bit of time to get through all thee languages, updates, and ports, but I'm hoping the game continues to do well so I can afford to spend a ton of time on it and make everything happen.

Also good news, SpellTower is going universal and that should come out on december 9th. I submitted the update yesterday.

Unfortunately theres no way I can do the languages in the same version. I had to add 4 new leaderboards for the game to go universal (as grid sizes are slightly different on iPhones/ipods), that brings the number of leader boards in the game to 9.

Apple has a hard limit of 25 leaderboards per game, so even if I could do all of them in one game (and i think that might get pretty messy with dozens of leaderboards), I could only support two languages per app, since two languages would be 18 leaderboards. :(
    sorry about that

8. Raphie123

Dec 17, 2009
    Dah I guess I'll buy the french version too then, Im so addicted right now!

And really happy to see the iphone version coming out next week! Im really impatient to play it! Thank you really much for your support here, its really appreciated!

Ps if you meed help for the french dictionnary, You can ask me :)

9. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @raphie123 Its very possible I will ask you for help :) thanks for the offer!

10. Synthesyze

Synthesyze Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes! Universal support!! I don't have an iPad, so I'm excited for this news.

11. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    The update was just approved by Apple, so I'm thrilled to announce that:
    SpellTower is Coming to the iPhone in the form of a Universal update on December 8th (or wednesday near midnight).

I'm really excited to share the game with all of you that have been unable to play the game so far due to not having an iPad, and for all of those who have been enjoying the game, I hope you enjoy it even more now that you can play it on the go :)

(also there will be Achievements, score preview (on selected word), and bug fixes in the update)

12. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    I've wanted this game for a while now but it never shows up in my Appstore. Any reason why?

I live in Belize (Central America/Caribbean).

13. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008

yes omg im sooooo happy! First game that im buying tonight!!! Woooo

14. Raphie123

Dec 17, 2009
    Hey stfj,
    It shows to me that the update i live right now but it wont install correctly (a pop up error appear) whats wrong? :S

15. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Worked for me.

16. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @airdan: thats very strange, i'll try and look into it!

@Raphie123: im not sure. It seems like it is mistakenly providing the 1.1 binary of the app to iPhones right now. I think it just hasn't propagated through the system completely yet. I had luck downloading the app on my computer, and then updating it (i know, weird right?), and then syncing.

I'm sure in a few hours everything will have gone through the systems and you'll be able to just download it on your phone no problem

17. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    got it. love the way it tells the score on the word now. :)
    me and the wife love this game!

18. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
  19. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks for making it universal! Really like devs that go that route. Is the iPhone version Retina enabled?

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Seriously, it is just text, right? So I do not really get the retina part. I guess it would be nice to have.