Universal SpellTower Classic (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Nov 17, 2011.

1. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @doubleWah interesting. I'll look into the battery usage thing, very strange

2. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @doubleWah i think i've fixed the problem :) should be included in the universal update (not next, but the one after that). I'll look at the font AA as well

3. DoubleWah

DoubleWah New Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Wow, that was quick! Thanks!

For the font, I think the problem shows up most clearly on the E, but it's also apparent on the M and a few other places. I think it's because there's a subtle curve to the letters which is showing up the lack of sub-pixel AA. But perhaps I'm just a bit of an obsessive about these things ;)

S

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow! My wife is a Dutchy and just recently has become totally addicted to your game. Having the option to play it in Dutch will just be icing on the cake!

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Having fun with this. Broke 2k in tower mode earlier.

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Really looking forward to this. I love the aesthetic of this developer's other games and SpellTower looks like more of the same excellent elegance.

7. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    I managed to do it, giving me a score of around 3200. Sadly I was on the airplane coming home from, so the score was not reported to GameCenter and was lost :-(.

8. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    No way! You should have taken a photo or something. That would have put you on top of the leader board by a wide margin.

9. clarsonx

Sep 29, 2009
    Something I thought of after the fact, of course. I made the bad assumption that the game would remember my high score info and send it to GameCenter then next time I was online.

What I should have done is wait to complete the last word and finish the game when I was able to get online.

Oh, and don't get too impressed with the 3200 score, because I sort of cheated to get the score.

What I was doing was continuously restarting the game until I got a board where I could get a specific letter pattern to build from. While doing so I used a word list app, "WordMaster XL" to come up ideas for super long words

At first I tried to build the word "quixotize" to get three of the big letters in one word. After going through a bunch of boards I was able to spell it, only to find out it is not in the dictionary used by SpellTower. Boo!

Then I started looking for words beginning with "equiv". After trolling starting boards for a while, I was able to spell "equivocalities". I forget what the score for that word was, but it would have put it in the running for the high word list on GameCenter.

Then I focused on the Z and X on the board (there was no J) and spelled "hexes" and "zingers".

After that I focused on trying to get the whole board cleared. I got down to around a dozen letters in a group and managed to spell out "sudds" (I think) which since it was a five letter word managed to clear out all the other letters.

So a very nice score, but I sort of cheated by trolling through multiple starting boards and using a word list app for ideas for the first super long word.

10. clarsonx

Sep 29, 2009
    Cleared the board again. This time I spelled "counterterrorist" as my big word (currently 4th). I cleaned the whole board by saving the X and J until the end, spelling "axe" and "joe" to clean up some letters stranded at one side of the board by wiping rows away. Total only got me to #2 though.

11. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @clarsonx : wow! i'm super impressed, and way sorry that the score didn't submit. Is it still the highscore on your device? whenever the 1.1 update hits (submitted a week ago), it should upload your device highscore to game center. that it doesn't was a bug in the code of 1.0. so the good news is you'll definitely take the tower mode highscore. even if you did cheat :) Also, the dictionary is updated in 1.1, so those weirder words will be in there now :)

also, to everyone, I'm about to add achievements to spell tower, I was wondering if you had any good ideas for achievements or can think of any I missed, heres my list so far:

made a 6 letter word
    made a 7 letter word
    made an 8 letter word
    made a 9 letter word
    made a 10 letter word
    made an 11 letter word
    made a 12 letter word

make a 1,500 point word
    make a 1,000 point word

get over 2,000 points in tower mode
    get over 1,600 points in tower mode
    clear the board in tower mode

over 10,000 points in puzzle mode
    over 5,000 points in puzzle mode

over 10,000 points in ex puzzle mode
    over 5,000 points in ex puzzle mode

over 8,000 points in rush mode
    over 4,000 points in rush mode

12. clarsonx

Sep 29, 2009
    Unfortunately it did not. When I finished the game I exited the app hoping that it would save the score until I got online. Instead all that seemed to do is keep the score from recording on my device.

No problem. I'll get it back.

13. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Haha, just missed your Tower score by 26. Got a 1000 point word for the first time with "Straighter". Also made "Fenestrated" but that was worth a good bit less.

14. clarsonx

Sep 29, 2009
    #54 clarsonx, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    Nice! Wow, "straighter "was more than "fenestrated" even though it has fewer letters. The deleted letters surrounding each word must count toward the score.

"Equimolecular" not in the dictionary. Boo! :)

1716 for the best word is crazy.

"Equicontinuous" not in the dictionary. Nor "counterinterest".

15. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Yup, and by the time I made the latter (it was on the same side as the first and I had to make some smaller words to manipulate the columns) there were fewer letters left nearby.

I made another eleven-letter word at the start of my next game and it was worth 1060ish points.

16. clarsonx

Sep 29, 2009
    Zach:

It looks like I'm having a problem with high scores on my device and also GameCenter. I just set a new personal best for longest word and score in tower mode, but the scores did not save within the game, nor did they transfer to GameCenter.

This time I remembered to grab a screenshot of the game, which I've uploaded.

I spelled "equivalencies" for 1352 points, cleared the board in Tower Mode for a 2731 score. Neither was saved in my game or put on GameCenter (clarsonx is my username there too). The same thing apparently happened on my Sunday plane ride when my scores were not saved.

Hopefully you can figure out what going on.

Loving the game regardless!

Attached Files:

17. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    #57 stfj, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    Spelltower 1.1 update hit today.
    Huge dictionary improvement as well as some bug fixes regarding scores not submitting to game center.

Next update is for Universal support :)

@clarsonx That is incredibly weird! :(
    [edited] see below

18. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    #58 stfj, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    @clarsonx thanks for the bug report. just sorted it out. it turned out that it was saving the score before it applied the 500 point bonus. Man I'm so embarrassed :)
    thanks so much for pointing that out! so sorry about that messing up your scores :( the fix will be included in the 2.0 (Universal) update

19. David R

David R Member

Jun 10, 2010
    stfj - To be completely honest, I originally had no intention of getting this game, it didn't seem like something I'd get into. But after seeing so many good comments on here and specially after seeing you being so active in the thread showing that you truly care for your game, I went ahead and purchased it.

I'm really glad I bought it. Am I good at it? Not really. Is it fun? Yes yes and yes, so much so that I am seriously thinking about gifting it to a couple friends.

Thank you so much for your hard work. I look forward to the achievements, other improvements and your future products.

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Awesomely awesome news!