Universal SpellTower Classic (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Nov 17, 2011.

1. SpeckledJim

SpeckledJim Member

Apr 25, 2012
    I still think the scoring is low, even after these fixes. I have had a word that scored 1200+ in the old version scoring 900+ in the new. Even allowing for variation due to the extra letters dragged in via differing placement, that's quite the discrepancy.

2. new_ipodtouch5G_owner

new_ipodtouch5G_owner Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Canada
    The updates just keep coming for this great word game.
    Thank you Zach for SpellTower and TypeShift both of which are awesome word games.

3. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Hey everyone! Sorry for sooo many updates. SpellTower it turns out was a pretty complicated game to build over from scratch and get everything right, but everything is definitely correct now for scores (as of 4.0.3). 4.0.4 fixed a crash bug.

I had to reverse engineer two different bugs in the original SpellTower's scoring algorithms and essentially port them to the new version, which really gave a whole new meaning to "it's not a bug it's a feature". I am 100% positive that scores are what they once were :)

4. SpeckledJim

SpeckledJim Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Well you'd be in the best position to know regarding scores. I can't account for the sudden drop since the update, and I do have the latest version. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I will just have to accept that my high scores are not going to be beaten.

5. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Thinking of picking this one up. Dunno how I missed it.

Is the resolution optimized for iPhone X though?

6. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    [​IMG]
    Hey everyone! I am extremely happy to announce SpellTower just got a huge update.

This is an extremely player-focused release, addressing some of the biggest player complaints (Including, @Rocksaint, iPhone X optimizations), and features new mode just for Tower players.

First up — Daily Tower Mode

Today’s update focuses on Tower Players, and ratchets the intensity up a notch. People write me all the time asking what a good Tower Mode score is... Well you can find out!

In Daily Tower Mode the entire world is given the same exact Tower each day. Each player has two tries to get the highest score they can. Medals are given out for cracking the Top 250, Top 100, Top 10, and of course, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place overall. There are also play and 1000+ score streaks, lifetime average score, and # of clears statistics.

Second — Quality of life and accessibility
    Due to some emails from players with Parkinson's, I've added an option to disable "double-tap to submit" (so that only tapping the top score area will submit a word).

I've also significantly reduced (if not eliminated) the lag between switching from the menu to the game — this was one of the most vocal complaints after the previous update.

Lastly, the new update comes with a redesigned main menu layout (did that ever need an update!) and support for all of Apple's device screen-sizes.

I hope you all enjoy it! It's always fun to revisit SpellTower :)

7. Alexis Lessard

Alexis Lessard New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Male
    Another great word game. Clean as usual !

8. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    You rock man. Gonna have to put the Zach Gage row back onto my home screen.