Universal SpellTower Classic (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Nov 17, 2011.

1. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Working on the dutch version :)
    Finding a good dictionary for dutch is very hard. Have heard a lot of conflicting advice

2. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Great update...thanks!
    Makes an already great game even better!

3. SuperTimor

SuperTimor New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I just got the iPhone version, this game is awesome! :)

I really want the French version, I'll buy it for sure even if it is a separate app.

Keep up the good work.

4. moutonrebelle

moutonrebelle New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    idea for the word list

Thanks for this game, it's just so awesome !

But my gf & I are French, and we lack some vocabulary sometimes...
    We would really love to see a french version.

What about the Scrabble dictionnary ?
    There are many websites online offering lists of allowed words in different langages. I just found http://www.liste-de-mots.com/ which seems pretty complete.

There is even an iPhone app with the complete dictionnary, but I don't think you could easily hack it to extract the words... http://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/lofficiel-du-scrabble-dictionnaire/id383846810?mt=8

Anyway, thanks for this great game, and good luck for the dutch and french version :)

5. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    thanks for the link on the french dictionary! Do you think that one would suffice? I don't know french, so I can't judge.

if that one looks good, I'll definitely use it for the french version :)

6. Aart

Aart New Member

Jan 22, 2012
    I just registered to say I would love a dutch dictionairy also. Why not just release it with the one you have. You can always update. Even worfeud doesn't have a top notch dictionairy. I love this game but would play it more in dutch.

7. MoHeyNow

MoHeyNow Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    I love this game! I am so stoked for multi-player, are you planning for online multi-player? I've gotten my whole family addicted to this and it would be awesome to play it with them halfway across the country. Anyway great work and I can't wait for the updates!

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    According to this little blurb I read on International Scrabble Dictionaries (http://www.isc.ro/en/commands/dictionaries.html), wouldn't the SWL one suffice as your Dutch base? Actually, I guess you aren't as limited as Scrabble, right, since there technically isn't a limit on word size in your game?

9. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @lordgek it depends if that scrabble dictionary is owned by hasbro or not. The thing about scrabble dictionaries is that Hasbro owns a copywrite on all of them, and if you use one in your game, they'll attempt to sue you... regardless of if thats legal or not :/

10. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male

here's an early video (about 2 days of work) of one of the multiplayer modes i'm working on.
    This mode is local bluetooth multiplayer. (each of the iPads in the movie is being played by a different player)

It's based off of rush mode, and when you make words, it drops pieces on the other player. The grey blocks in the background are the other players letter heights. We played in my house for a few hours yesterday and it's definitely real fun to play. Kind of a nice to have a SpellTower mode that ends in just a few minutes actually :)

I'm working on other multiplayer modes as well for the update (including asynchronous over the internet modes)

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Crap weasels, okay then, I'll grant you then that it is more complicated than I would have thought. :(

12. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    whoops, just re-posting this so it's not under the page fold.

here's an early video (about 2 days of work) of one of the multiplayer modes i'm working on.
    This mode is local bluetooth multiplayer. (each of the iPads in the movie is being played by a different player)

It's based off of rush mode, and when you make words, it drops pieces on the other player. The grey blocks in the background are the other players letter heights. We played in my house for a few hours yesterday and it's definitely real fun to play. Kind of a nice to have a SpellTower mode that ends in just a few minutes actually

I'm working on other multiplayer modes as well for the update (including asynchronous over the internet modes)

13. Dutch

Dutch New Member

Mar 28, 2012

Indeed. When will it be available? I would love to play the Dutch version..

And even a Turkish version...

14. zeth

zeth Active Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Is there an ETA for the update? I need more SpellTower!

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah what he said, my wife would love a Dutch version!

16. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    For Real This time:

[​IMG]

Wow that took a lot longer than I had anticipated, but I'm really excited to announce SpellTower 3.0!

Spell Tower Comes Out around Midnight Tonight

In addition to Multiplayer and iPad3 Retina Support, I tried to get in as many community requests as possible.

-retina ipad support
    -multiplayer via bluetooth
    -new icon
    -night colors (for playing in the dark)
    -sound volume adjustment options
    -tweet your best word
    -consumes a lot less battery power
    -extra polish
    -bug fixes

17. Joaquino

Joaquino New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    This game is awesome. A dutch version will make it perfect:)
    gonna get all my friends to buy this

18. joepau

joepau Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Still no Dutch

Nice update ...but still no Dutch :confused:

Joe.

19. dogkendra

dogkendra Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Rush strategy tips

I am looking for tips to playing the Rush mode. I usually can get around 5800 with a high score of 7700. I would like to know what length words to look for.

Also, how exactly does the system decide to make the tiles harder, with a bunch of 6's? Is it time, or words played, or what? And once that happens, I only last a few turns, can people really play when there are so many 6's no the board?

20. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    Im pretty sure it doesnt take a short time to implement a new language in an app. Be patient.