Universal Spellsword Cards: Origins (by One Up Plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, May 1, 2019.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I am hopeful for the subscription model. How games have been sold and marketed is broken and maybe subscription-based models will work better, as they have with Netflix, Spotify, etc.

stubbieoz likes this.
  2. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I'm fine with the subscription methods and I really welcome the AppleArcade program. It might indeed reduce the F2P way and allow a steady income for companies and developers.
    However for that to work, these subscriptions need to be trusted and offer a steady release of new content (or have a large supply already available at start). I guess Playond is trying to achieve that and from the looks of it, they target premium games.
    Maybe in the future they will gather most of the premium content of the AppStore and that will be fine. But then players will have to juggle between different subscriptions, independent games and IAP subscriptions. I already think it is difficult to deal with it now but if more platforms like that appear, I am not sure if it will be better than some normal premium independent games. But then, it might also motivate some developers to join these platforms instead of having to rely on F2P mechanics or adds. Only time will tell I guess, but we will be here to witness it :)

3. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA

Anyone who watches TV already does that with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBS, HBO, Showtime, etc. It doesn't seem so bad to me. Some people who play only a few games will just have one subscription. Others will have several, but that will mean more publishers getting support and (hopefully) more high-quality games overall.

stubbieoz and Ringerill like this.
  4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #84 stubbieoz, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    At the current $1.49AUD/mth for Playond for me it’s a no brainer.
    Plus I’m just hoping that subscription services might mean the developers get a steady income and with that they are able to continue supporting their games. Mind you I have no idea if the dev gets continuous revenue or if Apple just pays them a one off price.

I have lost far too many premium games to iOS updates.

5. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Surely developers are going to get paid primarily based on engagement (how many people play their game, and for how long). Apple has been quiet about the details, though. I'm sure they also gave well-known publishers upfront payments/advances as well.

The biggest downside of Apple Arcade is no-Android, of course. I'd be pissed if I could watch Netflix shows on Sony TVs but not on Samsung TVs.