Universal Spellsword Cards: Origins (by One Up Plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, May 1, 2019.

1. mgdpublic

mgdpublic Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Count me in as someone who thinks this game is horribly unbalanced where the final boss is concerned. I stream rolled everything with an elf rogue, virtually never taking (or staying) damaged. Then the final boss was no match. Looking back at my card choices, I'm not even sure I could have beaten him with any deck. It seems like everyone says he has to be beaten by status effects. That's bad design. And I don't have much interest in trying again because it takes too long to get to final boss to see if you can create a beatable deck.

2. DarayX

DarayX Active Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Actually there are various ways to beat the final boss, and it's not true that it has to be status effects. You can take him down by pure brutal force, or by taking his whole deck away. You can burn him into dusts, or you can counter every card he plays. And almost every class has a way to build an infinity deck, you just have to make good use of the fusing mechanism. I'd suggest you join the official Discord, people are sharing decks and strategies there.

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  3. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    New update is about to drop!

- New Daily Challenge achievements
    - Later encounters difficulty increased, Lich lightly balanced.
    - Difficulty indicators on hero selection
    - Large hand size scrolling

Some long suffering large hand size players will be relieved to know that I've finally included some scrolling to make it easier to manage your cards :)

4. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Firstly, in case you are unfamiliar with the gameplay in Origins here is a quick recap. It is a roguelike deck builder where the objective is to build a deck that can defeat the Demon Lich and all his cronies on the way. You’ll begin with a base starter deck of less than 10 cards and during the quest will acquire new ones and have the chance to upgrade or even fuse some together.

Here are 4 quick tips about the deck size that will get you started and become a pro in no time.

1. Generally speaking you want you deck to be as small as possible. This usually means less than 10 cards with 6-8 being optimal.

2. In some cases you’ll have the opportunity to fuse cards together and this is a fantastic way to keep a smaller deck but still have all the options you need to win embedded in your fused cards. With 4 fused cards acting like 8 fuse cards you get a lot of replayability of your deck and the chance to combo big time.

3. Some of the seemingly less useful cards are still worth taking if their upgrades are powerful or if they have a passive effect such as being drawn when you play another spell. The reason is you can fuse another card with this effect and get it back in hand more often!

4. If you are feeling adventurous, a larger deck size can sometimes work in your favor. Utilise cards which scale with your deck or hand size such as Izanagi Scroll or the Ninja Doku both of which are from the Ninja class. The blue Path of Cold has plenty of card draw as well with will go well with a larger deck size.

There are quite a few more subtle and surprising ways to build different winning strategies in Origins. Feel free to experiment and join in the discord discussion to share!

5. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Masters of the Undead don’t often meet with other world denizens such as Demons. Yet walkers have crossed the planes since the dawn of magic, and so began an ages old conflict between the plane of the dead and the 9 hells.

One such walker is said to be born a demon, but converted part of his soul in a ritual normally reserved for Liches to conceal their essence and forever tie themselves to unlife in the dead realm. Landathos was his demon name, but once born a Lich, he no longer had use of his former name. In the realm of the dead his lust for power became a source of concern for other Keepers and demi-Liches alike, and so it was said that the demon formerly known as Landathos was cast out onto the mortal plane.

It is unknown now whether the Demon Lich can be destroyed on the mortal plane, or in fact if his essence is tied to the realm of the dead or the original 6th hell from where he spawned. His quest for souls unwavering however, has lead to many a mortal expedition to rid their lands of his presence. And thus the story of Origins unfolds…

6. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    History of Porthaven

--------------------------

The history of Porthaven is relatively short but not without its own intrigue. Originally settled by expeditions from the south and the north, it was founded as a melting pot of races, joined together for mutual protection against the ravages of the wild.

Today it has become the bustling major capital of the Porthaven state, governed by an elected ruling body and advised by the Council of Mages. Traders, thieves and emissaries from other lands far and wide come to settle, eek out a living or ply their trade.

Before the story of the Demontide begins, Origins takes you through a transformative period of Porthaven’s history marred by the presence of a Demon Lich who in search of souls to harness threatened the safety of the fledgling nation. But brave heroes rose to the challenge and eventually while many were lost, Porthaven was made safe once again.

There are chronicles of deeds from legendary Heroes in the early days, who slayed dragons and overcame giants and other incursions, much of which will be explored in the games as they evolve.

Keep an eye out for next week’s history of Taluk and later the Karim and Andarian neighbouring states!

Until then, happy deckbuilding!

7. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    History of Taluk
    -------------

Taluk has an illustrious history. Once a stronghold for the Kings of Karim, it was ceded after the 4th King’s son brought an army to bear against his own father.

Not long after however, the citizens who realised they’d been duped revolted against their new ruler and after a brief but deciding battle, the new leader was deposed by the second in command Commander Tarn. Tarn annexed the town to the then fledgling state of Porthaven, guaranteeing it’s stability and longer term survival as a trading port between nations.

Whilst some may question it’s roots, the people of Taluk are generally reserved, preferring not to take sides in any nations disputes. Perferring profit over conflict, they see changing governments and regimes as an opportunity for new trade relations.

In recent times, Taluk has several resident alchemists, several who notably produce a much sort after form of alchemist's fire that burns twice as long as the traditional recipe.

Keep an eye out for next week’s history of Helm and the mines that support it.

Until then, happy deckbuilding!

8. MulDeR

MulDeR Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    How about this?

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I see this was picked up by Bending Spoons/Playond. How long before this becomes part of the Playond subscription? What happens if I buy it now?

10. Blazingsonic

Blazingsonic New Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Sorry for the noob question, but I'm new to the genre and struggle to pick a game in which to sink my time into. Out of all the games in this genre (NotFM, Spellsword, Meteorfall, Dungeon Tales...) which one would you recommend the most? If you had to choose one, which would it be? I care most about quality of gameplay and replayability.
    Thanks for your help!

11. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Dream Quest. Mechanics & polish are unmatched. Visuals...well, they don’t get in the way of a great experience. It inspired no less than two of the examples you’ve provided (ie, NotFM and Meteorfall).

12. Blazingsonic

Blazingsonic New Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Thanks for your recommendation. I'm looking for a game for Android though and couldn't find this one in the play store.

13. TheSilveryWolf

TheSilveryWolf Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Meteorfall was my first card game. The difficulty curve is well-paced. That's also my favorite.

14. Blazingsonic

Blazingsonic New Member

Aug 30, 2019
    How is it in terms of replayability? What makes you prefer Meteorfall over the others?

15. TheSilveryWolf

Dec 1, 2015
    The "progression curve" for lack of a better word is the best out of all of them in my opinion. Meaning, you will see yourself progress at a good pace, so you won't get as frustrated. "Progress" refers to getting better during each run.

All of them aren't hard to get into, but I also found meteorfall the easiest to get into. The game is so cleverly designed that it's deep yet simple; and even though you do steadily get better, it's still a challenge so it's not easy either.

Meteorfall receives consistent updates and has daily challenges and a hardmode after you complete all characters on normal. I hacked at that game for a month, and still never got to win with every character on normal mode. I'm also rarely interested in trying different characters after winning with one character in any game in general; but something about meteorfall compelled me to do so. It's just fun. Pure fun. It doesn't feel unfair. It doesn't feel like too much RNG. It doesn't feel too easy. Meteorfall imo is a masterpiece in gaming and made it to my top 10 list.

However, that doesn't mean the other games you mentioned aren't good. Meteorfall is simply my favorite for the reasons I listed. NotFM can get confusing but if you push through all the nuances of the game, you may find you like it. I don't like the IAP even though they are generous; still, meteorfall is premium and that's an automatic triumph over any IAP.

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Ooph. Sold out to Playond.

17. TheSilveryWolf

Dec 1, 2015
    yeah :(

18. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Is it a bad thing? I just sincerely have no idea what Playond is and how it would impact the game.
    If it means a secure company that will release updates, why not. But if it means that some strange features will be added or an account will be necessary, then I understand why it could be a problem.
    For the moment, I can enjoy the game without seeing any change.

19. TheSilveryWolf

Dec 1, 2015
    Playond is a subscription service. If you haven't bought the game, you now have to subscribe to play. It is no longer a "premium" title.

20. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #80 Ringerill, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Ouch, indeed this is a big letdown... I guess it's a move for money (which is understandable in some sense) but I would be very upset if I had to subscribe to anything after actually having bought the game. I can understand the frustration now...

EDIT: I have just discovered that Bearbarian and Crashlands are now part of Playond too. Too bad I didn't buy Bearbarian before because now there is no way I am going for the subscription version of it unfortunately. I would have loved to pay the 10€ for the developer but I am feeling reluctant of the subscription method.