Universal Spellsword Cards: Origins (by One Up Plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, May 1, 2019.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I’m having a good time with the game so far. It’s very much like Notfm. To be more precise it’s like 70% notfm. Layout, and gameplay is like exacto same-o. The difference is in a few tweaks (obviously cards and enemies being different of course). One of the tweaks for example is the fuse card mechanic. So far playing the warrior (if that’s the right name for the class, I can’t find a way to tell while actually in a run), the opportunity to fuse cards has come up a fair few times. Contrast to being deep in the run and only seeing one time that I could discard/delete cards from my decks, I take this as a gesture that the fuse mechanic is basically a must since you don’t have much opportunity to delete. Trimming your deck for synergy and cycling (Card draw) is a must in these games. So the fuse mechanic means that if you don’t feel you’ll be able to delete the crappy card, then you might have to make the tough decision of fusing it with another better card such that your overall deck size reduces. That whole concept seems to be a thing. So you’re forced to make tough decisions on fusing cards, which is a good thing.

One thing I’m not sure about the fuse mechanic is weather it would be better to display the resulting card fusion or not. At the moment when fusing cards we are not shown the result. Because many fusions result in a higher action point cost. Eg say you fuse two single action point cards together, well the resulting fuse will basically make the resultant Card have both the card abilities but it may or may not result in the resultant card being a 2 action point cost......this could be detrimental if you reeeaallly needed a single action point card (lol as if anyone wants it to go higher, but you know what I mean....it can break the strategy a little).
    So I wonder if displaying the resultant fuse would be a good thing, or if learning the fuses is something that gives this game longevity because it is rather unique.

Really that fuse card mechanic is the standout difference from notfm. The gameplay otherwise is very similar.

Ohhh, another other ‘tweak’ while I remember is basically choosing a “path” for your class. This path is kind of like the card colour your class will get exposure to (I think). Kind of like in magic with the black, blue, red, green, white. Choose a path and you’ll get opportunities to gain cards of that type with the warrior so far I can choose a new path colour every few levels gained meaning it’s my choice to shape the exposure of card types.

That’s it for now. Enjoying this game. Those that liked notfm will find this good with a few tweaks to game play. Visuals aren’t quite as high as notfm but nonetheless good and quite unique. Enemies are drawn rather well. Kind of like a story book style of outlined pen/pencil contours leaving the colour and details to the minds eye.
    Overall well done.

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I personally would like to be able to see what the result of a fuse would be.

And I actually love the visuals in this game. Probably more than NoTFM even. The art style is what drew me to the game to begin with.

3. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #23 gmattergames, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    This game is great. They did a nice job melding elements from other card battlers and made something fun and unique. Dare I say, I’m enjoying this more than Meteorfall? I do, however, wonder about the difficulty progression. With a focused and efficient build, you can roll right through every enemy and boss with ease, only to be completely shutdown by the final boss. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to see a challenging enemy, it’s just that no other enemy even comes close the Lich in both sheer power and tactical depth. I find it hard to believe the Dev’s comment that thousands of play-testers never mentioned this. It seems that from the beginning, your deck must be built with the end-game in mind, employing tactics that may have limited use initially, but will be able to counter the Lich’s lock-down tactics.

4. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    IME it’s been “whatever the two individual cards did, wrapped into one card.”

Perhaps I haven’t played enough to see owt different!

5. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA

Thanks for stopping by and listening to Lawliet's feedback.

6. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    No worries! I’m here to take constructive criticism anytime :)

Perhaps some tips from discord might help out. A few people today had a discussion how they beat the Lich. Here’s one from just a moment ago.

@Shozukan Time Skip (remove enemy hand for 1 turn) for a few turns until they have their entire deck drawn, then switch hands via Invert Reality. Alternatively, Wash Away the effect which would return the cards to their hand

Everyone’s welcome to come in via the link in settings menu.

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Wait, you can use strategy against the final boss, rather than brute force? That's so unfair.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’ve taken the plunge and hit by as I did spend many hours broke down in my work van playing Pirate Outlaws which I enjoyed yet even with the doubler it just started feeling like a grind so I’d like something different that hopefully doesn’t feel like that.

9. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Take back my comments on the lich. Beat him in 3rd round with a Red-focused Dragonborn Warrior, by overwhelming him with the burn counters. Used a mix of burn spells, the key being the spell that doubles burn counters, followed by the card that repeats the last action; quadrupling counters. Had him dotted with 70+ burn counters on first turn.

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    It has been, yes, but then it may or may not increase the action/mana cost as well. I guess that’s the only part we be unsure about.

11. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    Great game. But I want the same save game on my iPad and iPhone. Could you add cloud sync?

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #32 ste86uk, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    I’m really liking this so far, my first two runs didn’t last very long playing as a mage but I’ve slowly learnt more things and I’m doing pretty good now as an orc rogue. Anyone have any tips on elements for melee oriented characters? I went with death and have one or two that I use with the orc rogue but overall seems useless not having mana.

Just wondering when the game saves? Is it just between battles? As I was quitting during battles and it didn’t save those but I wasn’t sure it left me at the same point or not? So I’m trying just to quit between battles now.

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Wow so don’t i feel a bit silly. I only
    Just realised you can discard cards to re-gain action points! Only realised by reading one of the tips that the game displays.

That...changes everything. That can be the difference between finishing off an enemy in the same turn (or subsequently taking damage if not), and it can mean the difference between cycling your deck one more time or not.

14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    And even better if you play Orc you recover 2 health whenever you discard one too.

15. TheSilveryWolf

TheSilveryWolf Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Do y'all recommend this, silent abyss, or Night of the Full Moon?

16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    You already own pirate outlaws?

17. TheSilveryWolf

TheSilveryWolf Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2015
    No. I've checked it out but pirate outlaws looks a lot like silent abyss. I'm not sure how they differ other than theme. Feel free to correct that notion though. Silent Abyss is mentioned a lot on the pirate outlaws forum, so I figured they were really similar. In which case I would go with the fantasy themed game, not the pirates themed one.

Edit: seems like pirate outlaws only uses one character. That's a pretty significant difference. As I'm new to the genre, I'm not sure whether that simplifies things or makes them harder.

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #38 ste86uk, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Got my first win on the Lich using an orc ninja and mostly relied on boots of speed with lots of claptrops and ninjitsu whatever it was called? I did chose fire but not sure what cards were fire ones other than the burn if all reds are then I also used low blow.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for an element that’s useful to pick if your not going for a mana focused build or literally using no mana.

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    One important observation: it appears that once you fuse two cards, you can’t upgrade them anymore at the blacksmith. So there’s a choice to be made of when to fuse.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious.

20. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Is there a way to see what was the result of the fusion?!?

Otherwise liking this game a lot so far!