Universal Spellsword Cards: Origins - A Roguelike Deckbuilder

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by influx, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    #1 influx, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Hi everyone!

[​IMG]

This is my prequel game to Demontide the RPG CCG.
    It's been up on Android for a short while and will be on it's way to iOS next month!

Pre-Order now available. Release May 2nd.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spellsword-cards-origins/id1459350707?ls=1&mt=8

Ask questions and I'll answer them here or join the discord chat via the link in Demontide as you like.

Description follows:

Featuring 400+ cards and counting, 8 classes, 6 races, and 5 paths to follow along with hundreds of unique battles.

CARD FUSION & UPGRADES & CYCLING SYSTEM

Upgrade your cards and use the unique card fusion system to create any combination of cards imaginable! As you make each run you will need to carefully manage your deck, to include just what you need to survive.

To combat the problematic “bad draw” a voluntary discard and resource recovery system has been developed.

PROCEDURALLY GENERATED ADVENTURES

Adventure across the lands of Port Haven in this solo card combat roguelike. Crawl through swamp, fight over mountains, and swim through the seas all in search of loot, fame and fortune.

Game play focuses on being a perfect card crawler and deck builder for all roguelike and roguelite loving dungeoneers.

GLOBAL LEADERBOARDS

Climb your way up the Leaderboards to show just how far your character can go.

nickhoola likes this.
  2. nickhoola

nickhoola Member

May 10, 2012
    Hi Influx,

I’d be happy to help, here is my TestFlight mail :

[email protected]

By the way, I’ve downloaded Demontide and bought the DLC to unlock the different game modes (worth it !), this game is so great !

3. drixz

drixz Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Same here! I have it on my android phone though I’d like to test it on my iOS device too! My TestFlight mail is zhikang(dot)[email protected]

4. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for all the direct and indirect offers to help test. I've got my hands full now with testers so look out for a release announcement soon!

Gwarmaxx and nickhoola like this.
  5. nickhoola

nickhoola Member

May 10, 2012
    Looking forward to this ! :)

6. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    This looks fantastic!!!

7. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    so, i've been testing it this days and seems a really solid card battler, loving it...
    it has almost the exact same Night of the Full Moon system, wich is a great thing imo, included the portrait mode, no crashes or bugs yet, and if i can make a suggestion, i would change the way of cards info are shown... ie atm, just in some sections of the game, if we quickly tap on a card we can see it in all of its glory, but if we tap and hold to look at the info only, when we release it the whole card pop up on the screen, while imo info should disappear and nothing more.

oh, and also i would like to have a music during battles, not just ambient sounds...

anyway, the game is really awesome, can't wait to have the final version.

8. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Gwarmaxx likes this.
  9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just pre-ordered it. I quite like Demontide and like seemingly everyone right now I’m in to these roguelike deckbuilders, so pulled the trigger.

And looking closer at the screenshots and trailer vid, ssshyeh, Gwarmaxxx ain’t kidding, this game seems quite close to Night of the full moon. Which isn’t a bad thing. I’m playing through notfm some more these days and it’s an amazing game so. It’s just that...gee it does look quite closely ‘inspired by’ notfm.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  10. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the comments! Yes it’s heavily inspired by notfm and meteorfall both games I’ve sunk many hours into playing.

The main differentiators I’ve focused on are the mtg like spell paths and races to further customise your heroes. Card fusion mechanics to open a lot more deckbuilding opportunities and card cycling to avoid those bad draws and smooth out your hand.

Hope you enjoy it, it’s been well received on android so far so good.

11. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I need this game now. Can’t you just release it a few days early? :)

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So is this game made after Demontide? Is it the "newer" game? Since Demontide released very recently I'm a bit confused. But I suppose your releases go on Android first.

Also the fusion system sounds cool but it's pre-battle correct? I thought it would be cool if a deck builder game had fusion mid battle to make for intense battles (like monster card games). I don't think I've seen this mechanic in any recent rogue deck games.

solarnya likes this.
  13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think the existing iOS game it most closely resembles is Night of Full Moon, but what I think really sets this game apart from all of the deck building roguelikes is the character setup. When starting a new character you'll choose race, class, and magical affinity (basically which of the game's 5 schools of magic your character is most associated with) which then will determine your starting skills as well as which cards you're most likely to see on your run. This means you'll have hundreds of combinations to try!

I'm sure the fusion aspect can be useful but I have yet to find many great combos. Fortunately it's very straight forward, when you combine to cards you'll get a card with the combined costs and abilities of the 2 cards you fused. One drawback to fusion, however, is that fused cards can no longer level up (almost all cards in the game have 3 levels they can achieve).

solarnya and L.Lawliet like this.
  14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Oh wow, that's quite interesting. I think I'll go ahead and preorder it. I can't resist these premium card games and portrait mode is always nice.

As for fusion, is it better to level them up before fusing them? It does seem like it would be great to fusion to ultimate cards but as you said, you haven't found much good combos. I do hope this game is a bit more polished than Demontide (which I really like). That game unfortunately hasn't really got any major QOL changes since the iOS release.

Thanks for the writeup!

15. influx

influx Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    #15 influx, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Yes there's a level of timing when to upgrade your cards vs fuse them which makes the choices deeper and nuanced. Thanks for the feedback.

Feel free to jump in discord chat where players are already sharing their builds and card fusion combos.

Release day is tomorrow!

solarnya and nickhoola like this.