Universal SpellForce - Heroes & Magic (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Have to give Pocketgamer that they are spot-on about the lack of tutorial/manual.
    That one's sorely needed for anything in the strategy/tactics department.
    Also fully agree that the lack of manual saving in several slots sucks like a Dyson 9000 :p

UI complaints:
    On the other hand, if you cannot figure out how to play a relatively simple game like this one, you shouldn't be reviewing it.
    True, this will put off newcomers to the genre. But I got a hunch that they created the game with a more hardcore audience in mind. Handy Games other title I played excessively - Devils & Demons - was very much in the same vein: Good game, but definitely not easily accessible for newcomers.

Funny again that they mention lots of bugs. Still didn't run into those here, aside from the very occasional battle freeze.

What I miss most already is a campaign mode, with more than one Hero and spoils carrying over to the next stage. In the meantime, I'll be playing :)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Finally tried this. I’m sure it is good but the text is tiny on my iPhone XS. Should be iPad only. Can hardly read it unfortunately

Agree with some parts of that review. You don’t get much help when your starting. If it’s meant to be for hardcore only that’s commercial suicide so I can’t believe that. With so many other games available to me you want a game like this to have the usual tutorial. Has potential but at the mo not for me sadly

3. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
  4. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Don’t agree with Pocket Gamer. The game looks amazing on an iPad Pro, and while the tutorial aspect is rubbish it does not take long to work everything out (unlike some other games we could mention).
    I think with a few tweaks we have could have a future classic!

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  5. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #25 Son of Anarchy, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    This has received a lot of love and care lately via updates. The most recent one addresses most of the concerns people had. I always thought the game was pretty good as is but it’s definitely slicker now. The new icon is probably one of the greatest I’ve seen on the AppStore, I really like it.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Thanks for this. Had some interested when it came out but read the negative reviews and issues.

Also a few bucks cheaper now. May pick it up.

HandyGames really seems to be doing great with their support lately between this and Titan Quest. (And the nice port of BattleChasers)

7. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    This game looked right up my alley but the “professional” reviews held me back.
    Seeing as most concerns have now been patched I’m really interested in buying it (I played the heck outa Spellforce in the past on the pc).

But I need to know one thing before purchasing.
    How are saves handled?
    My preference is to be able to save (manually or automatically) at any time (should be mandatory on all mobile games imho).

If the game only allows saves after battles I can accept that, if the battles are relatively short.
    Thanks.

8. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Hello stubbieoz! There’s a “Save and Exit” in the upper right corner options menu. I just picked this up a little bit ago so I’m not sure if there’s auto save but there’s definitely a manual save.

9. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks.
    Just bought it.
    Unfortunately it doesn’t save mid battle. You have the option to “save and exit” mid battle, but all that does is save the game before the battle.
    But so long as the battles don’t last for ages all should be good. :)

10. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    If TouchArcade had a “most improved icon” award Spellforce would definitely take that award by leaps and bounds.

For me support is just as critical as the actual game itself when deciding to make a purchase. There are certain companies like Feral Interactive, Trese Brothers, Aspyr, Rocketcat and lately Handygames that I don’t mind throwing my money at since their track record of post launch support is usually impressive to downright stellar. Also a big kudos to Handygames for the continued support and improvement of SpellForce even when the early reviews didn’t go the way they hoped.

If only Handygames were able to pick up the ashes of Planar Conquest.

Son of Anarchy and stubbieoz like this.