iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    those that do incorporate some form of common sense.

2. XaxaxeOrcslayer

XaxaxeOrcslayer Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Horseshit.

I own 485 apps of all shapes and sizes, of which at least 250 are games. Not one of them requires me to remember if I can uninstall or not (with the exception of the "free play" deal for Atari Arcade; but they were up-front about that).

At worst, I have to do the "you've already purchased this content" dance with some apps. Annoying, but I get what I paid for. But not for this POS, apparently, because the developers are too cheap to use server-side storage and/or too dumb to just integrate purchases with Apple IDs. There's your "common sense," pal.

3. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    ok, if not common sense then how about therapy?

4. XaxaxeOrcslayer

XaxaxeOrcslayer Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Seriously, man, if you're not going to actually contribute to the conversation, you need to go spam other threads. This is a legitimate concern being voiced by myself and others, and one that needs to be addressed. You are not helping in the least.

Also, your shift key appears to be broken. It makes you look like you're about 9 years old.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This is a legitimate concern as it makes true CCGs on iOS among the most expensive and, simultaneously, risky investments. How does Assassin's Creed handle this aspect?

6. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @XaxaxeOrcslayer:
    First of all, would you please keep your tone and language more civilised? Thank you.

If you read this thread, you will find several posts discussing this issue. Some of those are from one of the game developers, explaining what works and what does not.
    Normally I would be perfectly willing to help out, find the posts and point you to them.
    But someone who stomps in here with an attitude like yours, being rude and insulting people, instantly loses any goodwill with me.

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    How do ranking points work exactly?

@Steve the Goblin:
    Question: How exactly does earning ranking points work?
    I ask because I just got automatched with a rank 1, and won the game by having a Lava Giant's special ability drain away his last lifepoint at my turn start. The "game won" screen only showed me that I earned some gold, but not that I earned any ranking. Also, my ranking is still 15.
    Until this game, I always went up at least one rank when I won the game.
    Not that I am complaining, I just would like to know the details.

Might be a good idea to add that to the rulebook.

8. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Oh come on X....give the guys a chance!! They've made it really clear they are still developing and tweaking a new venture.

Rather than shouting and swearing, couldn't you contact them along the lines of "I'm afraid I lost my in app purchases when I reinstalled the game, is there anything you can do to help me?". They are obviously nice people and I'm sure they would help.

As my old Nan used to say, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I've found it to be true.

Take a deep breath, and be a happy goblin geek with the rest of us. Come and play me online...I won't let you beat me but we can be friends :eek:

9. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Well said! I'd pay the same.

Steve its commendable that you say you don't want to do things like cash only cards so you don't alienate people who can't afford them. But the game costs YOU money, and future improvements will need funding.

Everyone here has had the disposable income to buy a hugely expensive iPad, so they are clearly have the funds to spend a couple of quid on a good quality game.

It's business not charity. If you still feel bad in the future you could use the money to fund a refuge for battered elves or something.

Sheinfell, I've tweaked my deck. I'm coming to get ya!!

10. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    #90 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    Having spoken to the programmer, he doesn't get why people wouldnt back up valuable data before totally wiping a App off their device. Lots of Apps will lose data if you simply uninstall them.

So it seems to me we need to make sure players know this. We didn't make this clear and we must apologise.

It would be really nice in future to have our own server though for an added layer of safety. These things can follow, but we are only 3 people..so we can't always move as fast as we want to.

And yes, if there are any particular issues, then of course we will gladly work with players/Apple to resolve them to their satisfaction.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins HQ
    Currently designing an Angry Troll card

11. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo

Well, the exact figures will remain shrouded in secrecy, as part of the player discovery process but essentially you won't gain ranks if you beat someone much lower than yourself. Similarly you could gain multiple ranks if you beat someone much higher than yourself.

Regards
    Steve - Three Goblins
    http://www.spellcraft-ccg.com/

12. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Since I didn't hear anything about potential iPhone versions, I PM'ed Steve about any plans of that nature Three Goblins has in regards to that issue.

I got this for an answer:

I await with bated breath 8D

13. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #93 Sheinfell, Sep 16, 2012
    Your call, as you are the developer.
    I just want to point out that I absolutely dislike it when any game mechanic is not openly accessible to the players, in a thoroughly documented manner.
    Why? Simple, I grew up with boardgames and roleplaying games, aside from these times' computers and consoles (Atari2000, c64, first 33mhz processor PC, things like that. Back in the stoneage for today's youngsters, I bet :p).
    And these always had full manuals explaining all the game mechanics.
    So I really do not approve when games do that these days.

To use a different example: Chess.
    Can you imagine that the World Chess League (or what they are called) would say "Our ELO ratings work more or less like this, but we will leave it as part of the "played discovery process" for you to figure out how exactly it works" ?

So, please, take this as a serious appeal to reconsider the decision you described above.

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @Steve: Next question, this would also be a good addition to the manual:
    In which order exactly do abilities get triggered at the start of my turn?
    I paid quite some attention to what happens, and I think that the lower row (auras&items) applies first, in order from left to right, with minion abilities - for which I don't have an educated guess about the order - second.

Could you please clarify on this as well?

15. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    #95 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Sep 16, 2012
    Sheinfell,

Thanks for your excellent comments and insight, as always.

The reason I am not giving exact formulas out (at this stage) is simple:

(1) At this stage of development and player density the formula will not be precisely the same one as we use in future, by necessity. Close but not exact.
    (2) Giving out a formula now, then meddling with it later will cause confusion and I will get 100 messages to let me know :)

Incidentally, I started gaming about the same time as you it seems.
    Vic 20, C64, ZX-Spectrum. I was brought up on endless rules tomes of AD&D and I know exactly what you mean.

So, we will make it as transparent as we can just as soon as we are 100% sure of what (and when) it should be and that it's not likely to confuse people!

Hope that helps you understand our approach a little better.

Cheers
    Steve @ Three Goblins
    http://www.spellcraft-ccg.com/

16. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #96 Mack the Knife, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    steve, or anyone (except mr. hysteria) please give me the quick answer to this: i know it's been discussed but i am missing something. i regularly sync my ipad to iTunes on my PC. when i first installed Spellcraft it backed it up. HOWEVER (thus proving i have a shift key), when i make a change to the app like creating a new deck, adding new cards, or buying more gold and then sync with iTunes on my PC, i don't see these changes being copied. so, if i do what some nitwits do and whimsically uninstall the app, when i reinstall will i get the vanilla app or will i get all the updates i have done (new decks, new cards, campaign progress)?

if i don't get my updates then that's the way it goes but am i backing it up correctly to iTunes? (i also backup to icloud but that's only useful in a full device restore). do i need to do something special when backing it up so i get the recent game progress into the latest backup? (an incremental backup for those in the computer industry) anyone? (except, of course, Angst Jr.) is there some iTunes switch i'm not setting? thanks..

-----------

steve, isn't the FAQ new to your website? i'm pretty slow for a 9 year old so i'm not sure, but if it is - THANKS, it's a great addition and hopefully you'll keep it updated with all the dumb stuff we ask...[​IMG]

17. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo

Left to right, yes

18. JaysUsernam

JaysUsernam Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Alright, I finally got to spend time with this and thought I'd throw in my unsolicited 2 cents:

First off, I am a huge iOS card gamer-I think the two are a match made in heaven. I would say that Spellcrafts closest competitors are Spectromancer/Card Kombat and Shadow Era. I like that it blends the lane based card combat of the first two with the random drawing from my prebuilt deck of the second.

I feel the addition of the second row really is a great evolution of the first two games and I appreciate the concept of making all card attainable without IAPs being mandatory. Mechanically, this feels like a solid addition to the Lane Based CCG that I will certainly spend more time with.

However...there is something that just isnt clicking for me. I think part of it is the art direction. While everything is bright/crisp/vivid the art and presentation has a certain 'kid-game' feel to it for me. I feel the cards themselves lack the sophistication of Shadow Era/Magic 2013 although credit has to be given for how visible they are. The actual characters feel very 'Killer Instinct-ish' from the old N64 days which I guess will appeal to some.

Now don't get me wrong, Im being very critical but only because there is a solid engine with enough freshness to fit in with the CCG crowd and Im very excited to see this game succeed.

19. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I'd like to add to this that if one deletes an app, the next backup to iCloud will not include this app - so then there's no longer a backup available.

Really, the only decent solution here is to implement decent iCloud backup and synching of game data from within the app. Relying on user backups really isn't a solution a dev can 'tote' as a valid approach imo.

Jamie.

20. JaysUsernam

JaysUsernam Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    BTW, I can't find any mention of your game over at boardgame geeks site...get over there and get noticed...this is right up their alley!!