iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #841 Mack the Knife, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    i was not expecting a space with so few characters so that's undoubtedly it.

2. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #842 Mack the Knife, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    mike, i can't email an image via your website. save the attachment below to your desktop and blow it up and check my validation code. to me there are no OBVIOUS spaces in this so i didn't enter any yet i was still rejected. see what you can see.

anyway, questions about your (mark's) website forum post about "New power cards expansion":

"At later levels these cards will appear in the one player campaign and will bring new challenges to experienced players"

1. at what later levels? 40+?

2. i play this game for fun and although i'm not that good nor care if i am, i win a few (luck of the draw). so let's say i get to the level where the power cards kick in to "bring new challenges to experienced players". what if i reach that level but i'm just a so so player? are casual players going to get their butt kicked by these new cards?

Attached Files:

3. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    They start to kick in much earlier, but they don't appear in every region at every level. So you could avoid a particularly scary one, if you wanted, and fight elsewhere.
    Later , at 40+ they are very common. But if you've reached 40 they shouldn't be that frightening but might make you think a little bit more.
    Some of them affect the player as much as the computer opponent anyway so you can twist this to your advantage.

Now, at very later levels they will get tough. The next update will take it from 50 to about 75. I think this should be expected at such high levels

Regards
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins

4. Bluebird503

Bluebird503 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Picked this game up recently. Trying out the CCG/TCG apps.

Just curious, in multiplayer there seems to be various gold payouts for victories, sometimes 8, sometimes 10, sometimes 12? I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to be consistent, is it based on my opponents level?

5. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, you get more coins for beating higher ranked players and less for defeating ones with a lower rank. I think the highest reward is for beating someone at 3 times your current rank.

6. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    In addition, when we do eventually release the Power Cards update, when you defeat an AI deck that made use of Power Cards, you will get increased gold for your efforts.

Steve@ThreeGoblins

7. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks steve, i guess i'd better start honing my skills :D

50? i thought an upcoming update was taking it from 40 to 60.

and i think you've answered this before but i've forgotten but does the AI play with all faction cards, even a lower levels? i know it plays with two factions but does it have access to all the cards in that faction? and, is its deck limited to a certain number like mine or can it select from the full compliment of cards for a particular faction? thanks!

8. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo

You can get to 50 right now.

At lower levels the AI is limited to a certain number of rares & uncommons. This restriction is gradually loosened as you make your way up. However, having said that, it doesn't always use more rares just because it can. Some of the most challenging decks use very few, or none.

Also, at the moment, in a few decks at higher levels, it also uses more than 2 factions - however, as from the next update I have decided to zap that in case it causes confusion for players. It might come back at very high levels.

One thing it can do is use more than 4 copies of a card. This promotes the theme of a region and/or a tactic.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

PS I can't seem to zoom on that thumbnail to read it.

9. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #849 Mack the Knife, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    i'll try again sometime and see if i can get a larger image. i dunno what it doesn't like about me, i've done hundreds of those things at other sites. oh well, i check your forum but most user activity is here.
    for the Deepwood forest people it says "as the denizens trick and trap the unwary". you're saying they are likely to have lots (more than 4) of certain traps and spells, is that what you mean? not complaining but the AI then really doesn't beat me with strategic moves, it just throws more and more cards at me. kinda the way the allies won WWII. we just kept throwing more and more resources at them until they were overwhelmed (i guess that's a strategy too).

also, have we ever seen any card art for the next faction, Air? and speaking of a new faction, the deck building screen only has room for 2 more "jewels" stacked down that left side, where you select the cards for the faction. after Air, there's only room for 1 additional. You way ahead of me on this or is that something you hadn't realized yet? :D

<EDIT>
    @Mike - again i'm sure you know but there's room for 3 more faction jewels, not 2. so after Air you'll still have 2 so that's at least a year out so you have plenty of time :D

10. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Crazy I am not even level 30 yet, I better get back playing more Spellcraft, excellent game, I have touched MTG since I got it

11. Mike@ThreeGoblins

Mike@ThreeGoblins Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Co-Founder, ThreeGoblins Ltd
    France
    We're way ahead of you - as in, we know it needs attention too :)

12. markturner_goblin

Oct 1, 2012
    I have not started on the air cards yet ,but here is the regions of air. I am still finishing off the new power cards but I expect I will start on them fairly soon.

Attached Files:

13. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #853 Mack the Knife, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    looks great! saw it before, that's what prompted my question.

also, can someone (steve?) respond to my other question?

"for the Deepwood forest people it says "as the denizens trick and trap the unwary". you're saying they are likely to have lots (more than 4) of certain traps and spells, is that what you mean? not complaining but the AI then really doesn't beat me with strategic moves, it just throws more and more cards at me."

want add to that too by saying i think the AI is pretty clever (i hate it sometimes!) but i wanted to know if it "thinks" about countering my moves or does it just throws unlimited cards at me? as i advance in levels i want to get an idea of how my opponent thinks!

14. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Each region has a deck of 40 cards to use, just like a player's deck. Every few levels it will replace that deck with a slightly better one.

Unlike a player though, sometimes, especially in later levels , the AI decks have been designed to contain more than 4 copies of a particular card. Still 40 cards maximum in total though. Certain regions favour certain cards or types of card.

Yes, the AI considers the current board and contents before making its move. If it threw random cards at you it would be laughably simple to beat , and it would do silly stuff like blow its own creatures up :D
    When it was a 'baby AI' this is exactly what it did. It's grown since then.

Hope that explains it a bit. Obviously I don't want to go into precise internal details as that would put it at a severe disadvantage. Plus it would probably bore the socks off most people.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

15. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #855 Mack the Knife, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    i've done this! :D

thanks steve, it's good to know the AI plays with just the 40 cards.

@Mark
    "I have not started on the air cards yet"

so we're talking another 2-3 months for Air? longer? shorter? best guess --

<EDIT>
    this forum has been rrreeeaalllyyy slow recently.

16. markturner_goblin

Oct 1, 2012
    I have not started on the air cards yet"

so we're talking another 2-3 months for Air? longer? shorter? best guess --

I think it may be about that time ,but its difficult to tell until we have finished the power cards expansion off . But I expect we will throw a few new cards in before then just to make it more interresting.
    I am still giving the old cards a makeover too.

Attached Files:

17. Bluebird503

Bluebird503 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I'm liking the new background on Pyrohydra.

18. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #858 Mack the Knife, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    just to add my 2 cents mark, don't go overboard with changing current cards just for the sake of change. by that i mean i prefer Pyrohydra as it is now. your "new" background has too much orange tint to it compared to the firery red it has now. really, either way is fine with me as i like all the card art but besides making all the cards look similar in overall design, some don't need modification beyond that. but...i'm not an artist either! :D

19. Mike@ThreeGoblins

Mike@ThreeGoblins Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Co-Founder, ThreeGoblins Ltd
    France
    Yeah I've noticed that too.
    Fortunately the Spellcraft forum itself is nice and fast... <hint> :)

20. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    New Cards

I love the current cards as well, already getting attached to them, but can't wait to see the Air Cards!!!