iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    LordGek,

Yes the themes remain consistent across all levels, but with lots of opportunities for variation, especially as new factions are introduced as potential allies

So, for example, Wildwood will always features lots of animals.

Steve
    ThreeGoblins HQ

2. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Good guess Sheinfell.

The undead region is the dark swampy area. But the mushroomy area that joins it is actually its own faction.

And yes, the undead and desert will be allies a lot. Mummies!

The desert faction is a favourite of mine and focuses on long lost Items.

Each faction has 2 themes actually : a story theme and a game mechanic theme.

Bye for now
    Steve, ThreeGoblins HQ

3. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Mack beat me to it, but yes the update is on the store.

See you in-game but don't expect me to let you win :D

Steve ,
    ThreeGoblins HQ

4. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Question about 1.8 update

Just to clarify:
    The Undead faction was not supposed to be part of the update, correct?
    Do you have an ETA for it already, Steve?

And from the two offline games I played after the update, it seems indeed that the AI plays faster now. Neat.

5. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Undead will be the first real actual expansion. These various updates were just to address various issues, some of our doing and some ..ahem...not..;)

No ETA on it sorry. I would like to give you an estimate but I don't like empty promises. But it is being worked on. We also would prefer to get more players into the game first, before making expansions, so our first priority is getting the iPhone version out , so we can all have more opponents to fight.

You guys are really the pioneers.

Steve
    ThreeGoblins HQ

6. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    No worries about the (non)ETA.
    I work in the software industry, so I know firsthand how tricky this subject can be.
    Well, I definitely would not hold it against you people if you provided one and then did not make it, but other people see this differently. So I understand your reservations perfectly well :)

----
    On a different note, a question:
    What do others think about the card "Narrow Tunnels"? It reduces the attack power of your and the opponent's minion on the path by 4 . While it is an aura card, and thus can be removed by various means, I feel that the unlimited duration is a bit much.
    I would suggest a timer for it, maybe 10-15 turns?

7. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Narrow Tunnels : Yes I agree , it is pretty good, but it does affect both players. And, as you said, it can be removed fairly easily by any reasonably competitive deck. (Or moved or swapped)

We might well adjust it one day, but we consider altering cards that have "gone live" a last resort only. I've played other games that have done this and it has driven me nuts!

Steve
    ThreeGoblins HQ

8. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London

Thanks for answering my questions Steve. Level 40 it is for me then!

The new update is great, the AI flies along (makes my turn a little sluggish if anything!) and the inviting and accepting friends works perfectly....well as good as the awful game centre can be!

I just had to google pvp....incase anyone else missed the obvious its player versus player :D

I wish I could browse the properties of my opponents cards while he is taking his turn rather than wait for mine, also when organising new decks there seems to be a problem viewing properties of the cards in the bottom half of the screen. No biggie though.

Apart from that everything is great....see you on the battle field ;)

9. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Pricing

okay so I never thought I'd be saying this, and trust me I don't enjoy spending my money in particular....but...

Your game is too cheap.

There are...I said it.

At first I didn't think 5 coins here, 30 coins there was overly generous, but I just hit level 33 and if I'm completely honest, I have enough coins to buy anything I want. So thus far ive had zero reason to do any in app purchasing.

When I play an app, I always base what I will spend on the hours of entertainment I get from it. Like a paperback book or a cinema visit entertained me for X hours and I spent £X.

For the first week I don't think I'd have gotten out my credit card, but now I find myself playing 20 times a day, really having fun but part of me thinks 'the guys that made this deserve something from me'.

I'm just trying to be fair on the makers who must have spent their own time and money releasing the app.

Maybe in the future some super elite card options that are real life cash only, so people can still play free but have the choice of really advancing if they pay a little.

Anyone over level 25 would have to admit they have enough coins that nothing is out of their reach.

I'm off to lie down....can't believe I said this!

10. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Boy I'm chatty during my morning coffee

Last post I promise lol

Can I just say its refreshing to come here and speak with members of staff who give the impression they love the game and respect their customers. It's nice to see people's opinions being noted, and a company who clearly love their product and who are trying to please their customers.

Feel free to remove this post if its libellous, and it is just MY personal experience, but I recently got involved with a game by the Russian company Game Insight. Just awful! I got drawn in, ended up spending the same as a new Playstation 3 on the "free" game.

Then received rude and incompetent customer service and came away feeling like I'd been completely mugged off.

It's really nice to find a company like you, or Rovio as another example, where I come away feeling like a valued customer. Keep up the good work. I'm recommending the game to friends all the time.

11. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    PS

Whichever one of you invented that Rage card....needs a firm spanking :eek:

12. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Well, those last 2 posts just made my day.:D
    Thanks!

Yes it is cheap, this was our intention. Is it too cheap? This is a good point...
    From a longer term perspective when the card set grows (and it will grow relatively rapidly) our worry was it would cost players too much too get them all, or just make new players fall over in disbelief at how much they needed in total.

A delicate balance.

We also decided that we would like to be just that little bit extra generous to those players who have taken the time, trouble and patience to support us in the early days.

We will likely reduce good a little later. But not too much.

Cheers and thanks for your kind comments,
    I will pass them on to the other goblins who will probably start dancing on the table.

Steve , ThreeGoblins HQ

13. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    You beat me to it :)
    I can confirm that problem.
    In the deckbuilder screen, about 50% of the time viewing a card does not work when you have one or more of that card in the bottom stack.
    Only when you have zero of that card, viewing it works reliably.

---
    Other than that, I agree with LCC's (your name's too damn long :D ) notions:
    You give really good customer support here, greatly appreciated.

And I also think that Spellcraft for free is "slightly" underpriced. However, as I wrote earlier, for us players there is an easy way around that: Just buy one of the IAP packs, whether you need it or not, if you want to show some appreciation of the team's effort.

I also said that before, but putting a onetime pricetag on the expansions sounds like a fair deal to me. I personally dislike consumable IAPs, and I know that many other players feel the same.
    For the same reason, I would argue against making special cards that are IAP only.
    The feeling of that is completely different from having the expansions as IAP.
    The latter will leave everyone on even ground (if you decide not to buy, you still have 4 factions to play with), while the former can easily give the impression that you "have" to buy the IAP cards to get the full game experience, be successful in the game, etc..., you name it.

On a technical sidenote: As far as I know, the Appstore can keep track of onetime IAP purchases, and restore those if needed (e.g. device lost or defective, move to a new device) , while for repeatable IAPs ("consumables") this is not possible.
    So, from a customer service viewpoint, the option with onetime IAPs is also the better solution.

14. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    You should make that an additional card: "The Three Tabledancing Goblins" :p
    Attack/Life: 0/3, Immune to Combat . Power: "Heating up the crowd" , gives +1 Attack to any friendly minion next to them.

15. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Hello Sheinfell,

Just to be clear there will never be any IAP for special cards - We would also consider that really unfair for players who can't afford or just don't like buying extra stuff.

We want Spellcraft to remain balanced and fun, even for people without that "suitcase full of cards".

Special cards will come for completion of tricky achievements or possibly getting to level X. i.e they will be totally free.

By the way, I passed on your idea for that dancing card to our artistic goblin. :D

On your point of buying a whole expansion at once. We thought long and hard about this and just about reached agreement to release it as a true CCG. Essentially it came down to this : if whole sets of cards can be purchased at a time, the campaign element has less incentive, as they have all they need anyway. And we also wanted to let those who can't use money to play too. The bigger the player base, the better for everyone.

I hope that makes sense. But, yes, there are totally good arguments for either approach.

Cheers for your input, as always
    Steve, ThreeGoblins HQ

16. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Good to hear that :)

Nice. Just in case he needs inspiration, here is my mental image for it:
    Medieval-style pub with low woodbeam ceiling, smoky dim atmosphere and all.
    The 3 goblins you have in your logo, in Scottish attire (goblins in kilts, yessir :p ), mildly drunk, doing some stomping dance on a huge thick round wooden table. One of them playing a bagpipe.

Sure that makes sense, thanks alot for taking the time to explain your approach. I really hope this works out for you (as in "enough revenue to pay your bills and make some good profit"), best of luck. Would be a shame to see you folks going under because you were too generous.

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Before I purchase any gold in the store...

Can you confirm that if I buy gold then use that gold to buy boosters, the cards I receive and the decks I construct are all stored on a server somewhere? ie if for some reason I lose my iPad and have no backup, I will be able to restore what I paid for?

Thanks,

Jamie.

18. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    According to this post from Steve
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2433299&postcount=30
    unfortunately not at the moment:
    That would actually be a good addition, that you can upload/store your decks and which cards you have. But then this could take a good (read:expensive) amount of resources (servers, storage, bandwidth) to do that for hundreds or thousands of players.

19. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    [Feature Request]: Option to copy decks

As the title says:
    Could you consider adding an option to copy existing decks to the deckbuilder?
    I like to experiment, and quite often I want to change just a few cards in a deck, to test different gameplay.
    However, I lose the original configuration of the deck, and later need to manually restore it.
    This requires you to have really good memory or make notes, which is not ideal and could be well improved by this.

20. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Yeah that's the problem - it requires resources. However, some of the elastic cloud based technology out there would permit this to cost very little initially and expand based on uptake (which presumably correlates to profit).

Cheers,

Jamie.