Speedball 2 Evolution by Vivid Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by goiMot, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hewg fan of The Bitmap Brothers, so it'll be an insta-buy for me. Can't wait for Gods and Chaos Engine.

2. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I used to love speedball on my bros Amiga 500. Can't wait for this. :D

3. xoconoxtle

xoconoxtle New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Cadaver!!!!

Please make an iOS port of "Cadaver", my all-time favorite Atari ST game!! I loved it so much... The Bitmap Brothers rule! :)

I would pay ANY price for this game! Really!

4. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    is there any more news on this?
    why do i sense a legal hitch:(

5. Toad In The Hole

Toad In The Hole Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    Yep got some news :D And news that The Chaos Engine should also be coming after this...Bang Tidy...Still play that to this day on my lappy :)

“Speedball 2 Evolution is pretty similar to Speedball 2 in that it's a 2D, top-down futuristic sports game,” says Hare. “Although the hardware's clearly capable of 3D, we went with 2D because the gameplay works better that way – a lesson I took away from developing Sensible Soccer for XBLA. The key for us is that we're making a great 2D game with top quality 2D art, rather than an average 3D game.”

In terms of gameplay, Hare says, Speedball 2 Evolution is faithful to the original Speedball 2 and retains that game's one-stick-one-button simplicity. “Anyone can play.”

The 'evolution' of the title refers in part to the expanded tournament structure. As in Speedball 2 you'll be able to spend credits upgrading your team between matches, but Speedball 2 Evolution expands the boundaries of the series by introducing an Intergalactic Champions League, where you'll be able to play against 12 intergalactic teams of humanoid extra-terrestrials on themed fire, ice, and cyber planets.

“Speedball 2 Evolution uses tilt controls,” says Hare. “You tilt your device to move, and touch anywhere on the screen to throw the ball or attack. An on-screen D-pad is also available, but we decided to use tilt by default, because it doesn't clutter up the screen. It works best for the hardware, and I'm pleased with the result. I think this is the best Speedball 2 since the '90s.”

Of course, Speedball is a sport, and no sports game is complete without multiplayer. Speedball 2 Evolution will feature Bluetooth multiplayer. Game Center integration will also be included, along with Facebook Connect and Twitter.

On the subject of future releases, Hare hints in two directions. “I want to make a new football game,” he says, “but we're in a good position for retro games so we might look at bringing another Bitmap game to iPhone – probably Chaos Engine.”

Source:pG

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I absolutely loved speedball 2 although I don't know how many joysticks I actually broke playing it with friends probably double figures.

The thought of tilt control just seems wrong to me but the thought of having it in my pocket is pretty sweet hope this one works well.

One of the classics.

7. elnombre

elnombre Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Anyone heard any news on this one? Just curious when it's likely to hit the store.

8. Auhron

Auhron Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Editor
    Berlin
    #28 Auhron, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    News about Speedball 2 Evolution, as I don't have much time, I'll just drop the press release and a link to an interview from today with Eurogamer.

Speedball 2: Evolution set to slam into the App Store

Classic futuristic sports game available this month for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch boasting updated gameplay, super-slick visuals, innovative controls, hard-hitting multiplayer and brutal competition

Thursday, 3rd February 2011: Tower Studios and Vivid Games have today announced that the iOS version of The Bitmap Brothers Speedball 2 will be hitting the App Store this month.

Speedball 2: Evolution has been developed by Vivid Games, under the guidance of The Bitmap Brothers and gaming veteran Jon Hare, designer of Sensible Soccer, and is a phenomenal update to the classic futuristic sports game, which first appeared in 1990.

Often imitated, but never bettered, the game will prove its enduring appeal with Speedball 2: Evolution – which retains all the hallmarks of the original, but updates it for the iPhone generation.

With quick-play, league and cup tournaments, players can enjoy a quick game or a more structured competition – but it is the comprehensive career mode, including the new Speedball Champions League, which offers hour upon hour of entertainment which will really grab the attention.

The game offers two alternative control systems: a classic, soft joypad, which replicates the controls of the early computer versions, and a new, innovative tilt-to-move option, in which team-mates can be manipulated simply by moving the device, meaning the whole screen can be seen at all times on the iPhone.

Other enhancements include brand new visuals designed specifically to showcase the iOS devices, local multiplayer competitions across Bluetooth and Wi-fi, and a host of gameplay tweaks designed to deliver the perfect Speedball experience.

Of course, the original game’s combination of fast-based cartoon violence, tongue-in-cheek humour, and perfect playability remain – making this the ideal handheld sports title for veteran Speedball players or newcomers to this most competitive of sports.

“This is the best version of Speedball 2 since the original and the best remake of any classic title available on the App Store” says Jon Hare, the games creative director and CEO of publisher, Tower Studios. “Speedball 2: Evolution is the most comprehensive game in the series, and a real programming masterpiece thanks to the amazing efforts of Vivid Games. To existing fans this is a classic remake, to the new generation this is a fantastic modern game in it’s own right. It marks the first arrival of a Bitmap Brothers classic to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad – expect to see many more classic titles re-mastered and updated by us in the future.”

Speedball 2: Evolution will be available in the App Store later this month, price tbc.

Speedball 2: Evolution features:
    • - 336 Individual players
    • - 22 achievements
    • - 20 Power-ups and pick-ups
    • - 16 Classic Speedball teams
    • - 12 New Intergalactic teams
    • - 10 Season career mode
    • - 10 Single player game modes
    • - 6 Arenas on four different planets
    • - Player transfer market and upgrades
    • - Extensive tutorial for rookies
    • - Multiplayer mode
    • - Game Center support
    • - That classic retro feel

Interview @ Eurogamer.net -> http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-03-jon-hares-sensible-resurrection-interview

I also downloaded some images from the PR agency for Speedball, you can find them below:

Attached Files:

9. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Don't know what it's about but I really like the visuals. Thanks for the info!

10. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Can't wait for this!!!!!

11. Toad In The Hole

Toad In The Hole Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    This is gonna be the business,have this to this day on my laptop and remember playing the original way back in the day.Hopefully The Chaos Engine comes next as have that as well.Both classics.Check out the new gameplay trailer.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOW!!!! I... was never lucky enough to play the original(s?) in the past... but this game looks FREAKING GREAT!!!

Definitely can't wait til it hits the appstore!

13. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    It was definitely one of the best Amiga games when it was released.

14. eobet

eobet Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #34 eobet, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    I was very happy to learn that one of my favorite 16-bit games is coming to the iOS platform... until I saw the screenshots.

Please tell me the sprite graphics are placeholders... please?

The old Bitmap Brothers were the absolute masters of pixel graphics. Just look at this commercial critique of the Chaos Engine. This new iOS port looks like a sloppy upscale of the original sprites (no, it doesn't just look like it, that's what it IS).

Where's the technique? Where's the finesse? Come on guys! There hundreds of very good starving artists out there dying for a chance, if you just spend some time to look! (And if you already hired one, I'm terribly sorry, but you got ripped off.)

15. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
  16. WildWayz

WildWayz Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I think it is definitely coming soon - if you search the AppStore, it has a quick result for Speedball 2 Evolution!
    No details tho...

17. casualty

Mar 24, 2010
    So, what was that all about?! Out ever so briefly then yanked, then the next date passed as well??? Or will it be released sometime during the day...? Ahhhhhhhhh > <

18. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Meh, let's not forget this game has a lot to do with Jon Hare. He's quickly becoming slightly unreliable in terms of game re-releases. Just look what they did to Sensible Soccer on the 360 - zero after-sales, zero updates, nothing. Likewise I see they've sold off the rights to Cannon Fodder without attempting a remake of their own first :( I'm not holding my breath for this one.

19. WildWayz

WildWayz Member

Jul 23, 2009
    It has apparently been released in NZ and comes out at midnight UK time..

20. casualty

Mar 24, 2010
    Not out in Aus post-midnight.