Out Now Speed Demons (by Radiangames)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. leogodoy

leogodoy Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Journalist
    SP
    ouch!!!!

2. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Has anyone else encountered a problem where the car doesn’t move right from the start of a level? I’ve seen this several times on different levels on my iPad Pro, all you can do is spin around on the spot. Hope this can be fixed as I’m enjoying the game otherwise

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @StraightlineBoy nope. Never happened to me, not even once. And I've spent hours in-game.

Which iPad Pro do you have exactly? Are you on official iPadOS 13.1.2 or still on beta? Developer's been here in this thread before so the more information you provide the better chance addressing the problem.

4. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yup all official here, 13.1.2 on a 2018 iPad Pro 11inch. Haven’t seen the same problem on my phone so far

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #45 ste86uk, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Can anything possibly be better than the mono? It’s amazing so fast and great handling. Just beat all it’s levels and masters 2 and I’m moving onto chapter 4. I’ve got 3 stars and practically everything bar a couple of levels so far.

This game alone would have been worth the £5 for this month and next month possibly longer. Looking forward to playing more.

Edit: damn the Neptune is bad though!

6. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    Sorry for the bug. Sounds like there might be a problem that the game/touch screen thinks you're touching it. That's all I can think of that would cause this. I'll take another look through the code and see if anything in there could accidentally trigger this otherwise.

One other question: Do you have a keyboard or gamepad (or other device) attached through bluetooth?

Luke

7. radiangames

Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    I'm working on new vehicles/etc now for Chapter 6 and beyond. Many of the new ones are very fast (170+ MPH), with various handling attributes (some more Mono-like than others). But I'm also planning to have at least one (or more) car in every chapter be more pedestrian (< 150 MPH, a bit sluggish to steer in a way), which follows the pattern of Chapters 1-5.

My current thinking: If all the cars are super-fast and handle like the Mono, the lack of contrast makes them feel not as fast as they would otherwise. That's why every Chapter has a mix of slower and faster cars. It does make the slower/heavier cars feel worse in a way, but that contrast accentuates the speed of the faster cars when you get to use them.

I try to make sure every event is fun/varied in some way, or at least not too long/annoying to play with larger/slower vehicles, and keep the most difficult events for the faster/more enjoyable vehicles. [I will generally make the star/level requirements a bit looser in Chapter 6 and beyond so skipping all the large/slow vehicles won't prevent you from unlocking other stuff.]

But I'd also like to hear any feedback about the current approach/balance.

Thanks,
    Luke

ste86uk likes this.
  8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    That all makes sense to me and my main gripe with the Neptune was just that it’s so easy to tip it over but it’s just something different about the vehicle which I got around but still it would be the last one I pick!

So far I’ve just been upgrading cars 1 level as I don’t think I have enough coins to upgrade them all to level 2 is that the way it should be even with 3 stars on nearly everything so far?

Cant wait for more well done with the game it’s really good, I haven’t liked a racing game this much since horizon chase.

9. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    No worries, these things happen and intermittent problems are the worst to figure out. Nothing connected by bluetooth - I do have the Apple keyboard cover attached that uses the smart connector albeit with the keyboard folded round the back when I play games. Of course now that I wish to test whether removing it completely helps, the game is running fine. If the problem comes back I’ll try that and report back.

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #50 ste86uk, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Is there something wrong with the last sledgehammer pursuit level? I’ve tried countless times and all I can ever find are 9 demons to knock out and I need 10 but there’s never a 10th car anywhere in sight if I race forwards or brake and wait even after making sure I don’t miss any on my way forward.

also sometimes the physics feel like bs I know they are pretty great but you can get stuck or sometimes just things that are annoying like I just got boxed in by like 7 enforcers with no way out so I had to quit. Also happens getting boxed in and die.

Also just to say to the dev my favourite levels are the ones where you are the enforcer and the car has a special ability. My least favourite is anything with a lifebar lol

11. leogodoy

leogodoy Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Journalist
    SP
    Ditto!!!

ste86uk likes this.
  12. radiangames

Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback about Enforcers and Lifebars. I'll try to add more Enforcer-style vehicles/abilities/events in particular in updates. And I'll think about how to add more action/variety to the game (that's not strictly racing).

Speaking of updates, version 1.0.1 is finally live on iOS. For players using two-finger controls (one on each side of the screen), this is a big change. You'll want to increase Sensitivity (in the new Controls menu) if you've gotten used to the controls in the original release and don't like the new stuff.

Hopefully 1.1.1 (and Chapter 6) will be out by the end of October.

Let me know if you have any thoughts/feedback on 1.0.1.

Thanks,
    Luke

ste86uk and macplash like this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #53 macplash, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    I had to increase sensitivity way up high just because it’s probably set to the lowest by default in new update. Otherwise it works just fine. No complaints whatsoever. But I didn’t struggle with controls before, so what do I know? Anyway, Thank you for advanced description on controls under options menu. I realized I can use brakes, lol, and I’m in Chapter 5 :rolleyes:

Also, the description on the App Store doesn’t mention it, but did you adjust difficulty on Chapter 4 - For Science - Rally event? We’ve been talking about it here. The reason I’m asking is because I 3-starred it just on my first attempt in updated version. So I’m curious.;)

EDIT: @radiangames if I may make a suggestion. Under the progress, would it be possible to change MILES DRIVEN for e.g. DISTANCE instead? For us Europeans using metric units it says “miles driven: xxx km” which seems kinda weird. Also once the choice between imperial and metric units is there already, it would be nice to have it right. Just a nitpick, of course. But you know.. why not to make it perfect in every way possible, am I right? ;)

radiangames and ste86uk like this.
  14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    That sounds great about the update and new content!

Would also ask the same as macplash what sensitivity would be good for people use to the old controls? I’ll probably figure it out anyway.

Also I knew about using break but breaks are for wimps I only use them if I need to let someone I want to kill catch up. Also if you didn’t know about the breaks did you know the same control for breaking let’s you fire a weapon in enforcer vehicles?

radiangames likes this.
  15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk Yes! I figured that out somehow because I wanted an achievement for firing my weapon for 100 times while it was on zero all the time. Than in Chapter 4 I got a hang on it probably by accident and reached the quota in two runs afterwards. :)

ste86uk likes this.
  16. radiangames

Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    I didn't adjust any difficulty issues for this update. It was submitted over two weeks ago, before I had started compiling difficulty tweaks to make. Future updates should get through approval faster. Glad you were still able to get 3 stars regardless.

And yeah, I will change the progress display. Absolutely right it should be Distance.

ste86uk and macplash like this.
  17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I seriously only just realised that I’ve got this far with basic cars. I spent the gold for 1 point in upgrades but what I failed to realise was that I then had to attribute those upgrades....until now and reading this which made me look more into it.

Attached Files:

macplash likes this.
  18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Duh! :rolleyes::p:D

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    While I find those to be a fun break from the racing, weaving at high speed through traffic and trying to find the perfect line while throwing off pursuers is really what keeps me coming back to this game.

I’m trying to go for max stars throughout without upgrading anything. Not sure if it’s doable but I will see how far I can get.

20. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    This is definitely one of my favorite Apple Arcade games as a quick and easy pick up game. Initially thought it was gimmicky until I kept playing and love it.

I’m a bit confused with the overall progress as I’m only in chapter 1 and have one car and some upgrades I think... unsure how to truly see the progress with new cars and upgrades.

I’ll keep playing as I’m sure I am just missing something! Fun game and love the overall graphics!

ste86uk likes this.