Out Now Speed Demons (by Radiangames)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA

2. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    Hi everyone,

Wanted to apologize for not testing the two-thumbs-on-the-sides controls more before launch. Made assumptions that the dragging-a-finger behind the car would be intuitive and easy, but for iPads especially, it feels more comfortable to use two thumbs. Version 1.0.1, which improves two-thumbs controls and has a couple other minor tweaks, will launch as soon as it gets approval.

In the meantime, I'd recommend a gamepad or using the one-finger (behind the car) control method. Anyway, I'll be doing a series of development logs on the game, with the first one launching today:

More details about launching two games (this and Inferno 2 on Switch/PS4) on the same day:

http://radiangames.com/index.html

Will try to stop in here once a day to check on questions and look at feedback/etc.

Thanks!

Luke​

andsoitgoes likes this.
  3. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    Cool man. I played for a few minutes and liked what I played. It’s crazy chaotic but I’m guessing it’s meant to be like that. Looking forward to the update. Drowning in all these premium AA games but is a good problem to have.

radiangames likes this.
  4. HEiRAVON

HEiRAVON Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    This game is so pleasing to the eyes! Really enjoying this one!
    Looking forward to many more plays with it!

radiangames likes this.
  5. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Would love for game UI to allow landscape mode (travel sideways). Many people have ipads in cases/docks with keyboards and stripping that off to lay it down portrait is a pain.

fun game though

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I've played about 20 AA games so far and this is easily one of the best. Great work!

7. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm quite liking this one too. There's not a lot of "hassle" here. You can, literally, just play without having to worry about endless upgrades or what car you're going to choose. Everything that a "modern" racing game has become is stripped away and we're back to a pure Spy Hunter feel, with just enough unique modes and challenges to make it more. It's great. Every "mode" feels pretty good too. Currently 49/88 stars of Chapter 1, profile level 8.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I can see why some of you really like this and it does seem pretty good and I’ve had some fun on it. For me it can’t compete with Horizon Chase which was my favourite racer but definitely some quick games with various modes for some quick fun to be had.

9. Morbus Iff

Sep 9, 2010
    Horizon Chase is good too, no doubt! :)

andsoitgoes and ste86uk like this.
  10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Just set up my new phone and this is the first arcade title I tried. It’s awesome but it would definitely be better on a bigger screen. I can’t wait to play it on my iPad. I love the variety of game modes.

11. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    Won't be in 1.0.1, but I'll try to get it in a future patch (1st or 2nd big one). The main issue is making sure the iPad will do it, but iPhone won't. On Mac, it supports all resolutions and switches between landscape/portrait when the ratio goes above/below 1:1. Would definitely recommend a gamepad for landscape play once it's in on iPad (and will probably be a option you have to toggle, not an auto-rotation thing).

Luke

andsoitgoes likes this.
  12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    This game was definitely the biggest surprise for me. Loving it.

can you choose what car you want to use (of the ones you have unlocked), or is it predetermined?

seems really hard to get enough coins to upgrade, so is it worth upgrading if you can’t pick which car you want to use?

great game.

13. leogodoy

leogodoy Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Journalist
    SP
    By far my favorite AA game so far. I have been devouring stages for the last few days. Congrats!

14. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Oh yes, Radiangames at their best. I bought every single game from them and even though they removed Slydris 2 from the App Store (and went for lame freemium Blocks instead), they’re still on my top 3 developer’s list. Hence, there are no surprises about Speed Demons being high quality game. It’s visually stunning and pleasing to the eye. Music is top notch, of course. Considering their previous stuff I wouldn’t expect anything less. And smooth gameplay is just a cherry on top. There’s multiple different game modes to enjoy, achievements to unlock, leaderboards to chase high scores in. The only minor nitpick is that my iPad is getting kinda hot after a few runs. But I understand such visuals has to take their toll somewhere. Still, pretty impressive and satisfying game I’m planning to spend my fair share of time with.

DonnyDJ76 likes this.
  15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

HUGE favour to ask - PLEEEEEEASE increase the font size. It's impossible to play on my Apple TV, I know I'm old and all but HOLY Moses is it tiny. I feel like Chang from that episode of community!

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Hey guys. Don't be shy and add me to friend list on Game Center. I got 40 friends there but only 3 of them are playing this game. And by playing I mean they obviously just tried it and never came back judging by their scores.

17. Morbus Iff

Sep 9, 2010
    How do you even do that nowadays? Just keeps bringing up an iMessage invite for me.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yeah, from what I've found that's exactly how it works. Which sucks big time if you ask me. I didn't know it's screwed up like that. So, nevermind then. :confused:

USE GAME CENTER TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS

19. Morbus Iff

Sep 9, 2010
    Nintendo finally has a competitor in regards to game friending!

I'm honestly surprised GC is even still around anymore. After they killed the app, it's kinda useless.

20. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I would love to see larger fonts, too. I can barely read anything on my iPhone X screen. Really enjoying the game though.

andsoitgoes likes this.