iPad Spectaculator - ZX Spectrum Emulator for iOS (un-official thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, May 28, 2011.

?

Which ZX Spectrum Emulator do you prefer on iOS

1. Spectaculator

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. ZX Spectrum Elite Collection

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. iSpeecy(web app)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ZX Nostaliga 1-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Have you? I'm out atm and won't be able to try until tomorrow.

Okay I see my own version of Dark Star had priority and was used instead of the supplied one. Can you cause a game to be removed from the list though by putting a config file for that name there?

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #142 Gwarmaxx, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    yeah sure, with Disk Aid you can extract a folder or a single file from Spectaculator.app!
    btw, i have a problem... don't understand well how to make changes in the config file!
    i.e. i've loaded Panama Joe, but i can't find the correct joystick layout for it!!! can you help me?

3. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I use i-FunBox which despite its name does eveything you could ask for with both jailbroken and non-jailbroken devices.

You need a .plist (property list) editor. The one I've used under Windows since I first came across the .plist extension still works great for me and I'll post it here when I return home. It's free and works just like a text editor but only loads and saves (after checking for basic errors) files in .plist format.

It's superb for editing any .plist file as it will refuse to save anything incorrect (thereby forcing you to check what you've entered or copied and pasted, to fix the error before the file is saved. It may be annoying at first when it refuses to save something, but it would be a hundred times worse if Spectaculator loaded a corrupt config file.

4. yelever

yelever Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Got a question about games that load extra levels like Outrun. Is there anyway to get them to load the levels? Completed the first stage and it went to load but couldn't find the next stage. Still think this app is awesome. How many would have thought when playing their spectrums that in years to come we would have one in the palm of our hands:D

5. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Ensure you are loading the game from a .tzx (preferably) or .tap (almost as good) which contains all the levels. It should then load the levels as required (it may have to cycle through a lot of wrong blocks on the "tape" before reaching and loading the correct one). I haven't added Out Run to my collection yet so I don't know any specific requirements but every multi-load game I've tried so far has been able to work fine in Spectaculator.

6. Noneevo

Noneevo Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Guys ive bought spectaculator,how can i put the roms i want into my jb ipad2? cant find any of the dirs above...

7. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    #147 PrinceGaz, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    Download i-FunBox, install it, run it, and you should find what you're looking for pretty soon. You don't even need to jb your iDevice to do things like drop additional games/whatever into Spectaculator (which is rather fortunate for those of us with the latest models still awaiting a jb).

The 'iFunBox Classic' tab is where you gain access to all the really useful stuff in that program, such as all the folders on your iOS device (or all it can access on non-jb devices).

8. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    I found you can add .z80 games using iExplorer on the mac easily into Spectaculator folder. Just go to Spectaculator app then Documents and drag them there. They all work but sadly no box art. Haven't worked out a way to add the box art. Doesn't work putting the art into the Documents folder.

9. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Yeah, it seems to work out in that way.

If you look at the file structure of the preinstalled games & follow that pattern, you should be able to mimic it, see artwork, type up your own controls & even a manual.

10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I'll be honest, I didnt fancy reading all the pages of this thread for my answer.

Can I add games to this when my ipad2 is NOT jailbroken?
    (Ie: like I can with gridlee?)

Thank you

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yes.

12. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Yes.

If you spend a few minutes skimming through the last few pages of this thread, you might even find out how to do so :p

13. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Point taken, thank you ;)

14. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    #154 Mene, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, I have been trying to figure it out but cannot.

How can I set the joystick left/right controls to the symbol shift and break space keys?

Imagine's jumping jack uses those keys and had no joystick options.

Edit: ignore this now, a bit of trial and error and I got it working!

15. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Don't keep the solution to yourself!

16. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    The names for the non-numeric or letter keys are:

SYMBOL SHIFT
    BREAK SPACE
    CAPS SHIFT
    ENTER

17. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    ^^ this was my solution

I set Symbol Shift and Break space for left/right and Caps Shift for jump.

18. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    New version out. Side loading still possible?

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    My currently installed games are still there and working, haven't tried adding any new ones yet.

20. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    It works fine. After saving all the pre-installed games for future reference on their configuration files, the next thing I did was delete the app, reinstall it, delete all the games, then install my own game-pack from the previous version. Everything worked perfectly. The only problem is the Artwork.png files look a bit blurry now because it displays those files a lot larger (they were a maximum of 180x180 pixels previously).

I'm glad this updated version with true retina-display support was finally released because I emailed Jonathan about this back around the end of February, and after a follow-up exchange about exactly what the problem was, he confirmed after making some changes that it looked a lot better. Knowing this new version with retina-resolution support would eventually arrive has meant I've not done any changes to any of my games since then. Doomdark's Revenge looks so much better now (the alternating colour pixel rows for the sky meant it looked dreadful before).

Why does anyone need to ask if the new version still works?

Even if it doesn't work, you can always revert to the previous version of any iOS app by deleting the current version of the app in iTunes, retrieving the old copy of the .ipa file from the Recycle Bin (or OS X equivalent) and then double-clicking it to add it to iTunes. If you keep a copy of all the old .ipa files you ever think you might want to revert to, you can revert back to whichever version of any app you like even if it was from years ago!