iPad Spectaculator - ZX Spectrum Emulator for iOS (un-official thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, May 28, 2011.

?

Which ZX Spectrum Emulator do you prefer on iOS

1. Spectaculator

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. ZX Spectrum Elite Collection

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. iSpeecy(web app)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ZX Nostaliga 1-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sciencematthew

Sciencematthew Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for showing me how yo import my old games into C64!!!

2. Sciencematthew

Update!!!

For all the people why didnot buy speculator, there is an Ad FREE LITE on the app store! You can also get games from there, they are diffrent hen in the main app.

Happy Hacking!!!

3. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I saw that yeah!

Fair play to the dev. There's a few games I've not heard of in there, might have to check em out too.

Russ.

4. Sciencematthew

Uh oh

The lite version of spectaculator no longer supports coustom games, assumingly the full version won't so DO NOT UPGRADE past 1.20 full version. Or 1.0.0 in the lite version and back it up, I should
    Be able to hack it soon!

5. niknice

niknice Active Member

You can however, take the games from the lite version and place them into your full version. They will work just fine :)

6. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Can anyone confirm the latest full version supports custom games? Arent we on 1.2.2 now?

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I could have sworn someone already said 1.2.1 did support custom games, but wiped the ones you had upon install (but you could put them back) I do not see a 1.2.2 version.

Never tried putting games in the lite (which is still on 1.0.0 - how could you upgrade it?) but I did take the games and put them in my full version. ;) Never expected the lite version to support more games, they're already being nice with the full version, why not support the dev for being so nice to us? :)

8. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    So the full version accepts custom games? I remember trying to do that when it was updated to iPad and not accepting custom games. Since then I avoided updating. But if someone tells me that the new update accepts custom games I would love to update.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's a couple of pages back in the thread. I'm still on 1.2.0 as I don't have an iPad. :eek: (And don't need the fix for Batteries Not Precluded as I already fixed it - in fact I was the one that pointed out the bad axis-lock to the dev! ;))

10. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Can you put games into the commodore 64 app using iPhone explorer?

11. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Any chance of Icade support? That would be an insta buy for me!

12. cistehovado

cistehovado New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I dont have c64 app and I dont know which one do you mean. Please paste link, if there is a demo I can check it out.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    No demo, but here's the link: Commodore 64

14. niknice

niknice Active Member

Does anybody know if the new update ( Version 2.0.0), still allows you to use custom games?

15. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    #75 PrinceGaz, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
    There's only one way to find out (as Harry Hill would say)...

It's risk free too as you can just use the old .ipa file in iTunes to install an older version should the new one not live up to expectations (it'll probably be in the Recycle Bin).

First tests show that all additional games in the Game Pack folder are deleted when Spectaculator v2.0.0 is installed, however games added to it after installation work normally (so just re-copy the extra games into there).

In short, in my very limited testing, the answer is "yes", custom games will still work.

16. fetagames

fetagames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Poland
    My first economic game at high school I wrote on ZX-Spectrum... I will buy it in near future :)

17. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011

Has anyone has chance to test this out? Do we have a new format for the .plist file or any other aspect of the set up & will is break my custom games? My guess is yes, but has anyone seen this in action?

I won't be able to check this out for myself until later in the week, but wanted to see if anyone has tried the update yet.

Tar, FuZion.

18. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Ok, I couldn't wait to check this out.

We're all good people. You are still able to put in your own games for Spectaculator 2.0 providing you still have your game folders with the .plist files on your computer. Just drag the folders into the 'Game Pack' folder within 'Spectaculator.app'. Fortunately too, your saved games are stored elsewhere & not connected to the actual games, so those will be in tact.

The one & only thing I notice at a glance is that the games list icons are stretched to the shape of a cassette (i.e. An upright image) so if you had a square image for the Artwork.png file as I did, you'll need to re-jig those. But that's no big deal really.

Happy gaming, FuZion.

19. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Member

Oct 8, 2011
    After further testing, I can confirm the following:

Although v2.0 deletes any games added to the \Game Pack folder, you can reinstall them there and it will run them fine. I've tested this with both an updated Spectaculator installation, as well as a totally clean install of v2.0 of Spectaculator after having deleted the old version from my iDevice.

The only obvious change is that Icon.png should now be 90x138 pixels instead of the previous 114x114 pixels. The old square Icon.png size will still work but are stretched vertically to match the new aspect-ratio (the 48K BASIC and 128K BASIC both still have the same old 114x114 Icon.png as before, and you can see the result of that).

PLEASE ADD THIS TO THE Config.plist guide - A less obvious change is that you can now map the ENTER key to a button or the joystick by using "ENTER" (there was no way to map this key before as far as I know, as I previously tested numerous combinations of ENTER RETURN NEWLINE ENT RET in a futile attempt to find one which worked). "BREAK SPACE", "SYMBOL SHIFT" and "CAPS SHIFT" presumably also still work exactly as before.

There are some additional optional Config.plist keys - such as <key>gameScores</key> which is presumably used for Game Center support but you won't be able to add those to your own games.

Also, 'Cray-5' which is one of the games included in the free 'Modern Gems Vol. 2' pack specifies a ZX Spectrum model of '4' under <key>model</key>, whereas previously only '1' (48K) and '2' (128K) were known.

20. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I've added the "ENTER" command you have found to the plist summary on Post 33: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1832475&postcount=33.

As for the model number '4'. I wonder if there's other models supported, such as the +2 or +3. I'll try to test different numbers in the week & see what happens.

Thanks for your help Gaz & the breakdown of the image sizes.

FuZion.