iPad Spectaculator - ZX Spectrum Emulator for iOS (un-official thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, May 28, 2011.

?

Which ZX Spectrum Emulator do you prefer on iOS

1. Spectaculator

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. ZX Spectrum Elite Collection

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. iSpeecy(web app)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ZX Nostaliga 1-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pre1961

pre1961 New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Hi FuZion, thanks for your work with the plist files. Can you please post the one for American Football. And, if you've got them, for my 2 favourite speccy games, Elite and Lords of Midnight?

2. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Hi pre1961,

Herte's the American Football plist. This was actually one of the easiest since the game is played with the keyboard:
    It's has given me hours of entertainment on the train though. I remember buying the original in WH Shiths for £1.99. Brilliant :D

Again, you'll need to build the 'Instructions.html' & 'Adendum.html' files but you can easily get hold of the instructions from WOS.

Russ.

3. niknice

niknice Active Member

Right, thanks to the help from this thread I`ve managed to add a few games. The only problem I seem to have is assigning SpaceBar to an extra button. Any ideas folks?

4. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
  5. niknice

niknice Active Member

Yay nice one fella - got it working a treat, cheers :)

6. pre1961

pre1961 New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Thank you so much FuZion. I can't remember where I bought the game originally but could even have been Smiths as well. I blame it for starting my real life American football addiction. Thanks again.:D

7. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    #47 FuZion, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    I've just updated to version 1.21 of Spectaculator & have a little advice before you all upgrade.

Export your custom games because they will all be wiped. If not all of them, at the very least, grab the "PrivateDocuments" folder for your saved games, then you can add your games again (I assume you'll have them stored on your computer anyways).

At the same time, you can take this opportunity to flush any save game folders for games you put on once & chose not to keep in the list.

EDIT: I've just noticed something actually. The "PrivateDocuments" folder containing your saved games actually doesn't get destroyed. Still, no harm in backing up your saved games though.

Russ.

8. niknice

niknice Active Member

#48 niknice, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks for the info Russ, I was about to ask this very question before I updated. Got another quick question tho LOL - How do you add a game that comprises of two .tzx files?
    Eg :-
    Game1.tzx
    Game2.tzx

Both files contained in the same .tzx folder.

9. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    That one, I haven't sussed yet.

I have a game in my list that's like that, but I'm yet to sit down & have a go with it. I'll let you know what I find out.

Russ.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Is that the strategy american football game ? BO for Bomb etc ? Used to love that back in the day, great title to play on iOS as you can come back to it as the games take a long time.

The other great game is Headcoach. Used to play that TONS in the 80's, you only have 2 downs, every player has a 3 letter first name and 4 letter surname but you have a draft/trades etc. Worth checking that out, very very basic graphics but it does get addictive.

As for american football check out nfl.com/gamepass. Its for people outside the US, can watch any regular season game (or preseason game) live (Actually saying that the Sky games are blacked out) but its essential viewing if youre a fan. Sorry dont mean to sound like an advert for it but living in the UK and being an NFL fan for 25 years its a dream (In the old days used to listen to a crackly reception my radio)

11. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    That's the one yeah. I recently played it over a few days train journey & just like pre1961. Although a pretty stripped back version of the game, it was the game that got me into American Football & watched it for hours as a kid on Channel 4 (Remember the '4' logo wearing a helmet & breathing like a raging bull). Also, I was a Miami Dolphins man :)

Russ.

12. TommyIII

TommyIII Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    #52 TommyIII, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Post some game Packs!

Stop acting funny style and post up some game Packs! We did it in the C64 emulator thread. Stop being so Stingy. Megaupload or Rapidshare it. Please. :D

They are easy to make if you got a MAC but board communities are about sharing and saving each other time. Plus you guys already know the cool games and joystick settings. :cool:

[​IMG]

13. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Hi Tommy,

Sorry fella, but I'm a genuine 'no sharing stuff you shouldn't be sharing' kinda guy. With the games we're talking about being freely available on WOS, I see no need to share those & as for all the settings. I just don't have the time to customise everything & share the lot so I'll share the ones I've done that people ask for.

I'm more than willing to share the work I've done, but I can only post the settings for the games I've done.

This is an explanation of the Config.plist file & if anyone else susses out new stuff, I'll update it to hold all we know between us: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1832475&postcount=33

I simply use that to start a new game config & just delete the settings I don't need. For a single game, it really doesn't take long.

Thanks for joining in :) Russ.

14. niknice

niknice Active Member

#54 niknice, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Check your PM TommyIII - I agree there was alot of sharing with the C64 stuff but I guess times have changed. You will find plenty of help in this thread tho if you want to have ago yourself :)

15. Sciencematthew

Sciencematthew Well-Known Member

Update 1.2.1

1.2.1 is out, please make sure to backup your GamePacks folder and the 1.2 IPA, via iTunes.

STILL SUPPORT FOR CUSTOM GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Sciencematthew

@TommyIII

Two points I would Share:
    1) uploading ANY gamepack would be ILLEGAL, and you would get banned or worse.
    2)it is easy on windows 7/vista/XP, as simple as Notepad.

If you need any help just PM me or visit my site, there more hackable emulators there.

17. Sciencematthew

question how do you get C64 games into the App Store Emulator, i am Jailbroken(not for free apps but for themes). I have done some work but the latest version just crashes, any help? thanks in advance!!!

18. niknice

niknice Active Member

#58 niknice, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
    The process of getting custom C64 games working is exactly the same as Spectaculator. If I remember correctly tho the C64 emu is really picky about being exact with your custom setting including the size of your .png image. I have done about 100 custom games that all work fine. It's just a case of taking an original config.plist and modding it to your own needs. I've used both .d64 and .t64 images when making custom
    game packs. Heres a working example of a custom C64 .plist :-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>gameTitle</key>
    <string>Super Zaxxon</string>
    <key>version</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>game-images</key>
    <array>
    <string>Super Zaxxon.D64</string>
    </array>
    <key>coverArtPath</key>
    <string>Super Zaxxon.png</string>
    <key>initialState</key>
    <string>Super Zaxxon.state</string>
    <key>gameid</key>
    <key>application-type</key>
    <string>game</string>
    <key>info1Title</key>
    <string>Published</string>
    <key>info1</key>
    <string>1986</string>
    <key>info2Title</key>
    <string>Distributor</string>
    <key>info2</key>
    <string>Sega</string>
    <key>info3Title</key>
    <string>Written by</string>
    <key>info3</key>
    <string>Sega</string>
    <key>config</key>
    <dict>
    <key>SkipFrames</key>
    <integer>2</integer>
    <key>BordersOn</key>
    <true />
    <key>JoystickSwap</key>
    <true />
    <key>Emul1541Proc</key>
    <false />
    </dict>
    <key></key>
    <dict>
    <key>layout-name</key>
    <key>background</key>
    <string>bg_wood.png</string>
    <key>rows</key>
    <array>
    <dict>
    <key>layout-mode</key>
    <string>absolute</string>
    <key>keys</key>
    <array>
    <dict> <key>code</key> <string>N1</string> <key>topLeft</key> <string>86,31</string> <key>upImage</key> <string>key_1_small</string> </dict>
    <dict> <key>code</key> <string>N2</string> <key>topLeft</key> <string>125,31</string> <key>upImage</key> <string>key_2_small</string> </dict>
    <dict> <key>code</key> <string>N3</string> <key>topLeft</key> <string>164,31</string> <key>upImage</key> <string>key_3_small</string> </dict>
    <dict> <key>code</key> <string>N4</string> <key>topLeft</key> <string>203,31</string> <key>upImage</key> <string>key_4_small</string> </dict>
    <dict> <key>code</key> <string>N5</string> <key>topLeft</key> <string>105,76</string> <key>upImage</key> <string>key_5_small</string> </dict>
    <dict> <key>code</key> <string>N6</string> <key>topLeft</key> <string>144,76</string> <key>upImage</key> <string>key_6_small</string> </dict>
    <dict> <key>code</key> <string>N7</string> <key>topLeft</key> <string>183,76</string> <key>upImage</key> <string>key_7_small</string> </dict>
    </array>
    </dict>
    </array>
    </dict>
    </dict>
    </array>
    </plist>

19. Sciencematthew

Another ZX Spectrum Emulator hits the app store!

Search hi-score OR emulator. It is unknown if it supports coustom games or not. There are two titles when is about a bank.

20. niknice

niknice Active Member

Er.......eh?