iPad Spectaculator - ZX Spectrum Emulator for iOS (un-official thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sciencematthew, May 28, 2011.

?

Which ZX Spectrum Emulator do you prefer on iOS

1. Spectaculator

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. ZX Spectrum Elite Collection

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. iSpeecy(web app)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ZX Nostaliga 1-5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #21 psj3809, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    Reckon there'll be a future Gollop pack for sure. Having rebelstar on my Ipod which i can come back to and resume is brilliant. Love that game. Do you put everyone through the single hole in the wall or go through many different points and meet up near the reactor !

By the way make sure you check out those Spectrum Games Bible books ! I've heard theyre very good and feature over 1500 reviews ;) Okay okay plug over !

2. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    How do the controls compare with Elite?

I found the elite controls really good on the IPOD version. Also (apart from the HD) are there any differences between the IPOD version of Elite and the IPAD version?

Is there such thing as a HD speccy game??? Does the HD version improve the graphics enough to pay the extra £2.99.

I love the idea of playing the Monty games, Wally games and Jet Set Willy !!

3. cistehovado

cistehovado New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Hello, I find out how to add games, but I need some help, how to configure kempston joystick and configure buttons (fire button, additional buttons etc), I think there are some codes to put into config file

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I bought the Elite pack just for gollup pack and to be honest it was disappointing. The main game I bought it for was chaos which me and some friends used to play almost constantly and I still love to this day.

I found that emulator crashed before the end of almost every game while on the original Spectrum we used to play it over and over without any crashes or if there was very rarely.

I've taken to playing a remake on my pc instead called chaos groove.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You should contact Elite and let them know. Havent had any issues with Chaos crashing i must admit

6. cistehovado

cistehovado New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Where are these available ? As pdf or printed only ? (I would like to read it on my iPad on travels ;-) )

7. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    How do you add the games? - is this something I can ask on here?

8. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    For me, it's Spectaculator all the way on iOS.

I've spent a few hours having a play & managed to add a small collection of games I had as a kid & it's great. I'll do my best to share what I understand, but there's a few things I haven't worked out & hope someone here will know the answers.

- Does anyone know how to configure the 'Break/Space' key in the Config.plist file?
    - On the same note, other keys, such as 'Caps Shift' or 'Symbol Shift'?
    - Does anyone know if it's possible to assign multiple keys to a single button (e.g. Both 'Caps Shift' or 'Symbol Shift' to a single virtual button?

Thanks, Russ.

9. Sciencematthew

Sciencematthew Well-Known Member

umm I have the modified plist file here is example code:

I edited it from my Sim City tape.
    before use delete my edits

10. Sciencematthew

How to Add Coustom Games to Spectulator for iOS REV 2

Step 1: Get Spectulator (2.99 USD)

Step 2: get iPhone Explorerr
    Step 3: Find ZX spectrum games from a ZX Spectrum
    Step 4: Navigate on iPhone Explorer to Apps/Spectulator/Spectulator.app/Gamepacks/
    Step 5: once in that folder make a Copy "Dynamite Dan.tzx" to the Desktop
    Step 6: on the Dynamite Dan.tzx Folder on the desktop open it and change the Artwork.png to the one of your game, it isnt nessary but it looks better.
    Step 7: Say I downloaded SimCity.tzx from My ZX Spectrum, I rename the Dynamite Dan.tzx folder on the Desktop to SimCity.tzx and paste the game you downloaded in the folder , the game needs to be the exact name as the folder.
    Step 8: edit the config.plist in notepad(windows) or plist editor(mac) to the details of the game including the controls, See post above.
    Step 9: REBOOT THE APP, double tap and press and hold the Spectulator app and tap the - , then open it again.
    Step 10:enjoy coustom games on Spectulator for iOS!!

11. Sciencematthew

1.20 still supports custom games, be sure to back up version 1.10 or 1.0 in iTunes!

12. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Why backup 1.10 or 1.0 if 1.20 still works?

13. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    #33 FuZion, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks for the response,

I see there you have no additional buttons assigned. Assigning additional buttons is where I need some help. Here I'll share my findings with some of the less obvious settings to help people may trip a little on:
    The Thumb Pad & buttons are as follows:
    And lastly, gestures. These work very similar to the controls:
    And lastly some system type options:
    I know there's a lot, but if you've had a go at these it should make sense.

Again, if anyone can work out those non-standard keys, I'd be well grateful.

Russ.

14. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Ace,

Had some help on this & to configure the Break/Space key you can use something like the following line:

Again, make sure you use joystickType 6 for keys to be assigned.

Thanks for the pointer, Russ.

15. niknice

niknice Active Member

Any of you nice people care to upload some of your custom gamepaks?

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont think its a wise move to put any URL's here at all.

17. niknice

niknice Active Member

Yeah you`re probably right, its just that i`ve done over a 100 custom games for the C64 emu and I cannot be bothered with all that ball-ache again :( My main problem is finding the time to do all this. Dam Apple and all their restrictions!

18. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    #38 FuZion, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    I agree, this isn't the place to distribute things since there's a perfectly good World of Spectrum that we all love, but I'd be happy to paste my Config.plist files here (They may not be exactly set to everyones liking, but you can tweak them).

You'll have to create your own Artwork.png & Icon.png files for fortunately, the App resizes them regardless of the dimensions so you don't need to be exact. Also, the Instructions.html & Addendum.html files you'll need to create, but I've been using the .txt instructions from WOS for these. If you know basic html, you'll be fine.

If you'd like any of the following config files for the following, let me know & I'll post em here:

• Advanced Lawn Mower Simulator
    • After Burner
    • Americal Football
    • Ant Attack
    • ATF
    • ATV Simulator (Recorded from my own tape way back, since the Codies won't allow distribution :mad:)
    • Back to Skool
    • Ballbreaker II
    • Batman: The Caped Cruisader (Parts 1 & 2)
    • Batman: The Movie
    • Blind Panic
    • Bomb Jack
    • Bounder
    • Brainstorm
    • Buffalo Bills Wild West Show (or Wild West Rodeo)
    • Cabal
    • Chase H.Q.
    • Confuzion
    • Crazy Cars
    • Crazy Golf
    • Cybernoid
    • Cybernoid 2
    • Cyclone

Russ.

19. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Can anyone confirm if the latest version (1.2?) still works with custom games?

20. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    It does,

Check back through this (So far) short thread for other bits of info.

Russ.