Spear-Em - Roguelike puzzle game - In development

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by OatyCakes, Aug 31, 2012.

?

How Retro?

1. Atari

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. NES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SNES

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Modern

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. OatyCakes

OatyCakes Member

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a game I think a lot of you will get a kick out of. The best way to describe it is a single screen tile based dungeon crawler where the emphasis is on each screen being a challenge, where moving around and positioning your weapon will lead to victory or defeat. If you have ever played DROD, think that. If you haven't played DROD go out and play it. It is awesome!

Anyway, I was hoping to get some fairly early feedback on some things. My first question is how retro to go! Right now, I'm using sprites from Ultima 5 for development. I would love some opinions about what you guys like in terms of style.

I'll be back soon to put up an early gameplay video!

Thanks!

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Missing option: C64 ;)

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    There are bunch of retro roguelikes. How about a modern one with detailed art? That would be my preference and iPad version, please.

4. OatyCakes

OatyCakes Member

QFT! If the world was up to me it would be MS-DOS 6.2 retro styled!

5. OatyCakes

OatyCakes Member

That leads me to another question. For the iPad I was starting to think that maybe I would do a different set of puzzles for the iPad, go for more tiles instead of bigger tiles. If I maintain the piece size then I could put both sets of puzzles in the same binary.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... Im looking forward to an iOS modern-looking roguelike. 3 modern roguelikes i loved are Breath of Fire 5, Baroque and Zettai Hero Project. The latest Shiren titles are pretty good too. :D

7. OatyCakes

OatyCakes Member

Man, I love Shiren. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of the Japanese Roguelikes. The one I've been playing is Desktop Dungeons. That game is fun and surely unique. I just hope they get on porting it to the iPad. The question in my mind is wether the audience who like turn based dungeon crawlers would accept a more modern polished look.