iPad Sparta Lite from Pocket Monkey Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kris Jones, May 28, 2009.

1. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Hello TouchArcaders!

A Lite version of Sparta is now available at the following link.

'Sparta Lite' iTunes

Also: An update is coming out to meet the demands of the many players of Sparta, allowing you to purchase new weapons, armor, and health in game and we are also introducing new music and levels to accompany the enemies.

Enjoy!

2. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Excellent, can't wait.

3. wonderva

wonderva Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I hope update is really good as it sounds since I was quite disappointed with my purchase of Sparta Lords of war.

4. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Tell me, what disappointed you? Was it the graphics or sound effects? The overall gameplay? The lack of a fully-working shop where you are able to buy everything? (I'm guessing the last one, which is being added.)

5. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Every time I tap to attack while moving, movement gets interrupted. :( This is just my personal opinion, but the game play is dull. I was also disturbed when the game cut me off and flashed the buy now screen. Thought Apple said this is a no no!?!? Anyway... Good luck.

6. appreview123

appreview123 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I think most people feel the game is great and really appreciate it. I for one bought it mostly as in investment since $1 wasn't any skin off my back and the developer told us upfront that updates will be coming. I love the animations and blood effects. Yeah it could use a minor tweak here or there but keep up the great work and congrats on making an app thats in the top 12 of paid games.

7. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    :) We got Top 11 overall, Top 10 on the iPod since there was one iPhone-only app. We have the new weapons and new levels for the quick 1.3 update, just need to make sure it all works together and then we are submitting very soon, along with an update to the Lite version to show off some of this.

We are also increasing the overall speed of the game to make it a bit more action-packed.

8. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Question

Is it Sparta: Lords of War still or simply Sparta now?

9. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    I'm so glad you guys came out with a lite version, I was really on the fence about Sparta, even though it's only a dollar. I'm going to buy it now after enjoying the first level of the game.
    Thanks!

10. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    yes.

I kept searching for lords of war but realized it's only sparta now

11. CDubby94

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Thanks superbad I only see it referred to as "Sparta" nowadays, so that's what I was assuming.

Just trying to keep up with the times.

Anyway, I've heard varying opinions on lite versions from developers. Some say it kills sales for their games, and others say the opposite. I'll be interested to know what a lite version does for you, Kris.

12. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    The in-game title is Sparta: Lords of War, but for ease of searching and marketing, we simply are using "Sparta." If there will ever be a sequel, it will be Sparta: Something clever here, but in iTunes probably just show as "Sparta II."

As far as the Lite version goes, apparently one person on this thread liked it and said they would buy! Good news, right? I can now buy some lunch from McDonalds with the $.70 I earned! Yay!

13. Greengas

Greengas Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Paper Shuffler.
    Long Island, NY
    Cool I liked the lite version and just upgraded.

14. CDubby94

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White

As you can see, two developers have different views on what their lite versions did for them. Good luck to you, I hope your lite version boosts sales. It's just curious about these kinds of marketing techniques and how they work out for the developer.

15. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    I will be sure to let you know. It's been out for a day, but have not seen any figures yet. :( We have only managed to lose 1 position overall today.

16. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Isn't it generally frowned upon for developers to rate their own games 5 stars?

17. iFonePhanatic

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Who are you talking about?

18. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    The developer of the game this thread is about?

Attached Files:

19. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Oh well I have seen many devs do it. I don't agree with it but so many do it that it probably can't be helped.

20. iFonePhanatic

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Oh, I don't think it's such a big deal, although I don't think they should. Have you honestly never done it for any of your games?